Star Trek: The Motion Picture 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by od0_ital, Jul 29, 2019.

1. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Added to their website today, Fathom Events will be showing Star Trek: The Motion Picture on September 15th & 18th!

Tickets will go on sale this Friday, August 2nd!

I'm hoping its shown locally, the Cinemark in Lufkin is pretty good about getting Fathom Events shows, and its where I went to see Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - The Director's Cut awhile back. If I get to this event, that will just leave the fifth & sixth movies I haven't seen in theaters.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/star-trek

Spectre Of The Fun and Galileo7 like this.
  2. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just saw this on trekmovie and I'm excited beyond belief. TMP is my favorite Star Trek film, and the only one I have never seen in the theater (after I finally got to see TWOK a few years back for the Blu-Ray special edition release).

I continue to hope the directors edition sees a Blu-Ray release someday. I have a feeling this will be the original theatrical release (funny to think, I've never actually seen the original theatrical release--just the special longer version and the directors edition).

3. DS9ers

DS9ers Lieutenant Red Shirt

The movie is underrated. I wish it it was the directors cut, but I will be there. I am excited. Never really thought I would have a chance to see it in theaters.

Spectre Of The Fun and Galileo7 like this.
  4. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TMP was more special than I thought; the more I look at the film despite the obvious sanitation of the 3 main characters I loved, the film was more interested in ideas and to do something bold and honorable to the people who love the genre of science fiction. From the production design to the special effects every aspect of the production was more in line with TOS than the marginal budget spending efforts from the other sequels. As we know, Star Trek, was not a cheap show to produce at Desilu, and at a moment in time with JJ Abrams Star Trek finally received the budget it longed deserved.

I truly hope this film presentation gets an updated film restorational transfer and clean up of the sfx. I wouldn't even mind if the CGI artists go back into Gene Roddenberry's notes to explore his vision of warp speed. His concept was done to his a degree on TNG but was later done appropriately in the movie Into Darkness.

5. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

A reply from Fathom Events on their Facebook page says that this will be the original version, not the DVD-released director's cut. Or even the extended VHS version that came out in the '80s.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    BillJ likes this.
  6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Damian and BeatleJWOL like this.
  7. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

"The cinemas screening this Fathom event will be projecting the Blu-Ray master."

That's my problem with Fathom style events. You're just paying to watch a 1080P blu-ray.

Strike a print or project at full digital film-res and then maybe it's worth it.

8. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I'm paying for the experience of seeing the film in a theater with fans. On a much larger screen than I have at home. I would LOVE a 35mm print (seeing TWOK on a beaten and scratched 35mm in 2012 was amazing), but if this is what I get, it's what I get. I love these Fathom events.

DonIago, Kor, BeatleJWOL and 3 others like this.
  9. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hear hear! A theater full of fellow fans who also love The Motion Picture. That's worth the ticket price alone.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Hoping it plays in my area. I have the Blu-ray, but I'd love to see it on the big screen again.

Galileo7 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. BillJ

Don't you do anything just for fun? Just for the experience of hanging out with other fans?

Galileo7 and Lord Garth like this.
  12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I've never seen it on the big screen. I feel like I should make a point to.

BillJ, Galileo7 and Armus like this.
  13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm glad it's the theatrical cut. I want as close to the '79 experience as possible.

Armus likes this.
  14. Tallguy

Then I'd need my Dad to drive me. But he'd also pay for my ticket.

DE good: Better pacing. Some added shots for better story telling (leaving the wormhole, seeing the incoming Vejur torpedo vanish before it hits the Enterprise). SPOCK CRIES.

DE bad: Some of the new mattes (San Francisco, I'm on the fence about Vulcan). Sound mix uses too much TOS and TNG, not enough TMP / TWOK. I LIKE THE ORIGINAL COMPUTER VOICE.

PhotoBoy, Galileo7 and Armus like this.
  15. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A Blu-Ray release of the DE would be awesome. I've held off buying the Blu-Ray of TMP waiting for a DE edition. I really enjoyed the DE, really more for the better pacing than the updated effects, though most of that was nice too.

Ironic that TMP is my favorite Trek film, yet I've never seen the original theatrical cut. I have the VHS copy of the 'special longer version' and of course the Director's Edition on DVD, but I don't have any copies of the theatrical cut. So in some ways this will be a new experience for me. It'll be interesting to see the original cut for a change.

I agree with the others, this is a chance to see it on a truly big screen. I've never seen TMP in a theater so I'm very much looking forward to seeing it in a theater for the first time. And I'm sure there are other Trekkies who never had the opportunity to see TMP in a theater that are looking forward to it as well.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  16. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

17. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

That's what I'm waiting for.

Damian likes this.
  18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'm lucky enough to have seen prints of it at the Castro Theater in San Francisco, so seeing a 1080p BluRay master is something I can pass on,

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  19. Tallguy

20. BillJ

I agree. Those look like they took minimum effort.