Star Trek the Continuing Voyage available for Download

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Yosef Lindell, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Kurtman

Kurtman Lieutenant Red Shirt

I figured as much. I was just wondering about the syntax to express that.

BTW, could you please PM me the mission code (assuming you still have it)? The game crashed a few hours ago while I had it running in the background.
    :wtf:

2. WalkinMan

WalkinMan Commodore Commodore

OK, PM sent.

3. WalkinMan

I just finished playing through the entire game and I quite enjoyed it. For those who haven't downloaded the game and are interested in a sequel to Judgment Rites and 25th Anniversary, I recommend Continuing Voyages. It has a storyline which is expansive in scope and classically Trek-like, particularly TOS in style.

The missions do progress somewhat in difficulty and towards the final missions it became even more interesting and different. I liked also how the missions had variety between formats, from espionage to exploration to conflict. Locales range from outer space to deep tunnels in alien planets and starships galore.

The music includes a lot of cues from the Astral Symphony, a soundtrack I really enjoy. However there are spots without music; in those instances I added my own iTunes TOS themes running in the background. Some of the cues were uniquely appropriate, as in funny or dramatic.

This game comes the closest yet to replicating the experience of JR/25 in terms of the storyline, scripting, and the nature of the puzzles. I found some of the puzzles genuinely entertaining, some very difficult and searched for hints. The puzzles reminded me of 25/JR, and in some cases also the Myst series. Whether it's deciphering symbols, or assembling a device to achieve an objective, or opening a door/portal, these were interesting and challenging, and yes at times frustrating. The experience is very familiar to the adventure game genre.

I would recommend talking to the landing party members when dealing with certain challenges, and scanning with the tricorder. Sometimes, when a screen pops up (such as a console or something) talking to the landing party members or scanning will give hints.

There are a few spots in the game that progression will only occur when a discussion is had and an idea mentioned. Because the game is linear, like 25/JR, you can end up wandering aimlessly, frustrated, because of doing something out of order. You may need the necessary step, or the dialog phrase which opens up the next branch of decision-making.

However, if you have exhausted the dialog tree of a certain character, or have used all the equipment in a room (and find that it repeats information/results that have been already achieved), it is often best to go elsewhere.

Definitely helpful to scan each room/environment while observing the tags which appear on the lower left of the screen, that makes clear where things are. On a few occasions there is a spot one can walk into but it may be somewhat hidden/unclear. The tags are the way to see that.

There are also a few instances when speed is required, and a specific inventory item or character must be selected. Fortunately, the game offers a 'reset' point after you are killed/fail the mission, which is very helpful in lieu of an in-game save function. It is also helpful that the mission codes are there to allow access to different levels of progression. With regards to the codes (letters, numbers, notes) in the game, I recommend writing them down. It helps that, unlike JR/25, the game is in a window which allows one to use a text file/notepad program in the background to save notes.

The environments are scenes drawn from existing games, and I recognized the environments from 25th anniversary (science labs, offices etc), Judgment Rites (guard tower, space station interior), ST TNG A Final Unity (The Unity Device), Voyager Elite Force (TOS mods), Riven (Gehn's office), Myst IV (Tomahna), etc. These sources are credited by the game, and the integration, while hodgepodge, generally works. I particularly liked the backdrops from games I had not played before--the watchtower/Tirion planet with waterfall, and another planet were particularly beautiful (Syberia?).

I also liked how Spock and McCoy's debates were included, and how each TOS bridge character had moments to contribute. Ultimately the game's plot was a logical extension of the themes of JR in particular, along with elements of A Final Unity, and an overall independent story all of its own. There was definitely a connection to a certain 3rd season TOS episode, and shades of TNG's "Conspiracy" as well which was a cool recipe for the game's multi-mission arc. I really enjoyed it...and considering the effort that went into it, it is very impressive for a fanmade game. I wished that the 25/JR genre continued, and with fans taking off where companies such as Interplay began, that is now a reality. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

I'm downloading this now. I must say, I feel a mix of trepidation and excitement. No criticism to you, Yosef Lindell, but I've had previous experiences where people said that a derivative work was as good as "the real thing" and when I tried it out, I find it to be not even close, in my opinion (New Voyages, I'm looking at you). Because of that, I'm taking this with a grain of salt, but I am really hoping (and somewhat optimistic) that this will continue the spirit of 25th and JR, the two first real Star Trek games I ever owned. I think some of the things you've done, with making other parts of the ship available and such, are very fascinating, and could, if the other elements are all there, almost serve to make this even better then 25th and JR (excepting the lack of voiceover). In short, I'm trying not to think about what this game might be at its worst (frustrating and disappointing), but rather, optimistically hoping for what it could be at its best (an extension of the enjoyment of the 25th/JR ideal). Can't wait to find out!

5. WalkinMan

Points well taken, RookieBatman. Just to mention, I never said that CV was "as good as 'the real thing'" but rather it comes closest yet to replicating storyline, scripting, and the nature of the puzzles.

There are definitely significant differences between 25/JR and CV, namely in that it is a derivative work so far as the backgrounds/environments are concerned, and the interface has differences.

Also to note, having "other parts of the ship" available is not a main point of the game IMO, if you want a more immersive TOS 1701 simulation experience I recommend TOS' Argas Effect mod or Starbase 11 style mods. This game is more about multiple missions in different environments.

You also have to accept the hodgepodge nature of things. In the future I think the environments, animations, and other features could be rendered more smoothly. The game architecture that is there, with the story/puzzles/structure in place-- this is where the game works best IMO. It's still the first version, and the website mentions that improvements are forecast.

6. RookieBatman

Hey, don't get me wrong; I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. Rather, your positive review was one of the main things that got me excited about the game. Even if it doesn't end up being my bag of chips, that doesn't mean that I'll think you were hypocritical or anything like that; just that the game suited you and not me. No worries.

7. WalkinMan

The way I see it, the adventure game genre is definitely in sore need of new entrants, but the problem is that it's very difficult to make such a game and be a success.

I always wish that the zeppelin ticket in Titanic: Adventure Out of Time was a hint at a future Hindenburg/Normandie sequel to that game...

...and of course SoVF...

With regards to CV, my positive review reflects my appreciation for the tremendous amount of personal effort for one person to come up with this. Yet don't get me wrong, it remains a fanmade effort. For a more professional appearance, the hodgepodge nature of the overall 'look' could be improved somewhat, most notably the visuals (some stamped with a 'free screenshot tool' sample). But the storyline itself and the puzzles reminded me very much of 25/JR. In fact, I could say often they are on the same level as those games in terms of the types of puzzles, the dialog generally involved, etc.

8. RookieBatman

I was especially glad of your comment about the grammar.
    I just started the installation process, and caught the note about the codec that the program will need to install. Unfortunately, the computer I intend to play it on doesn't have an internet connection right now, and for that matter, my Windows Media Player isn't working either. (I even tried reinstalling it!) Is there any way that the game can be configured to show the videos another way, or at least play the videos separate from the game in another media player, so I can at least see what I'm missing?

If not, can somebody give me a rundown of any important content in the videos, or are they just eye candy?

9. WalkinMan

Maybe you can try playing the game without the codec. The videos are not the selling point of the game IMO, and they vary in format...mostly just brief slide shows or vidcaptures. They include for instance a ship flyby or the transporter beam (a simple fade effect, no actual transporter animation). At times the windows media toolbar would appear under the animation and one could pause the clip. The longest one IIRC is the TOS opening animation, which is nice and familiar. However the videos would need to be upgraded for eye candy status. Anyhow, the game is not as much about the video or even some of the set-visuals. Mostly the storyline and puzzles. And on that note I think the videos just add a little bit here and there, not mission critical information. And yes you can separately access the video files in the installed game folder, although I'm not sure which file to open.

10. Yosef Lindell

Yosef Lindell Lieutenant Red Shirt

Windows Media Player doesn't necessarily need to be installed properly for the videos to work. As long as you have the file "msdxm.ocx" in your windows\system32 folder that should be good enough. However, you will need that codec otherwise you will just hear the sound and not see the picture. If I knew a way of adding that codec manually I would tell you, but I don't. It seems that the only way to do it is to have Windows Media Player automatically detect that it is missing and download and install it.
    Wait a minute... I might have found something:

Codec Download Pack for Windows Media 6.4

Try downloading this and installing it on the computer you intend to play the game on. Let me know if this works. If it does, perhaps I should add this to my install file and make life easier for everyone.

11. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

When I open the game, I am presented with a dialogue asking whether I wish to start from the beginning or enter a code. Since I have no code, I opt to start from the beginning...and the game promptly quits.

I hope I'm missing something obvious here, as I spent ages downloading this.

Edit: Ah, never mind. Apparently it was downloading the required codecs in the background. It would have been nice if the game actually said what it was doing, because that looked like it just crashed repeatedly.

Now to get stuck into it...

12. Yosef Lindell

Sorry about that, but if you read the README file, it would have warned you that it was going to do this. I think that I may change the installation file so that it won't have to download the codec, as this does make the whole thing rather frustrating. See my previous post.

13. jigalypuff

jigalypuff Lieutenant Red Shirt

i am totaly stuck already lol, whats the code for the tower so i ca nget to the bottom of the waterfall, all i have found is the paper under the fountain and the numbers on there are not right

14. RookieBatman

I downloaded the codec and installed it on my computer. Now, not only do the videos in the game work, but my Windows Media Player seems to be fixed, too! :eek: Whoda thunk?
    Anyway, I just played through the first mission, and it was quite engaging. I liked how you worked Sarek into it, and the use of some screencaps in the beginning there were quite pleasing to my eye. I also liked how you get the feeling that there'll be overarching plot threads throughout the missions, and there's foreshadowing of that here.
    As for the mission itself, it was stimulating enough that you had to think, but there wasn't any point where I got stuck so much that I had to step away from the game (but I have played a few of these adventure games). It's simple enough that it doesn't seem like a brain-twister, but you do still have to think, and not just click randomly. I wish I had timed how long it took me to play through the level, but it couldn't have been longer than an hour.
    Overall, it was a positive experience, and I'm intrigued and excited to play through the later levels.

15. Larki_Toran

Larki_Toran Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm downloading the game right now. Oh my, I loved Judgment Rites and 25th Anniversary, this is a dream-come-true! :)

16. Yosef Lindell

I'm glad that codec pack works. I wish I would have found it before I uploaded the game the first time. I think I will upload it again with the codec installation attached. Too bad DSL has such a slow upload speed...

Anyway, glad you enjoy the game so far, and keep the comments coming! I enjoy getting feedback.

17. RookieBatman

One question: were the visuals for the theme sequence from TOS remastered? If so, I found it odd that you used the monologue from 25th anniversary instead of the original one from the show. I understand you are invoking the flavor of the 25th/JR style, but still...you gotta love the original monologue, and I think the only reason they did a new recording there was so the age difference in Shatner's voice wouldn't be as noticeable.

18. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I was aware the game could try to download a codec, but the way the game just quit without any message, I assumed I either already had it or it wasn't able to do it. Of course, I foolishly tried to keep opening it - so when it finally was downloaded, I had a dozen copies of the game running! :o

Never mind, like I said, I wouldn't go to the effort if it weren't an interesting idea, and cannot complain about an interesting free game. I'm just about to get going on it.

19. Yosef Lindell

Ah... I actually didn't use the monologue from 25th or the show. I used the one in SOVF from the short movie with Scotty in control of the Enterprise. It seemed like the best choice at the time.

20. RookieBatman

I think the one they used for that video may have been ripped from 25th, but I could be wrong (it's been a while).