Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Congrats! Set your engines to TRANSWARP!
    The Excelsior is one of those ships that are long and narrow, thus it’s model is comparatively small.
    Here it’s compared with Furuta Enterprise-B (bottom left), Eaglemoss Enterprise-B, the Eaglemoss Excelsior itself (bottom right), the Centaur, and three GamePrint models (top).
    IMG_0650.jpeg

NCC-73515, saddestmoon and Macintosh like this.
  2. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I think the Discoprise was the XL.

3. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That’s a nice collection you’ve got there!

Back in the days if yore, I remember being very expectant about the release of the Furuta Excelsior and Refit Enterprise models - in Lieu of the Furuta Enterprise B and 1701-A (of which I own).

Then when I obtained them, as cool as they are, the revised smaller scale was an immense letdown. The TMP Refit is a good little micromachine sized model, but not entirely accurate - and the Excelsior is extremely accurate, despite the micromachine sizing.

So glad to be getting the EM standard version soon!

Markonian likes this.
  4. Markonian

I consider myself a ship fan but I wouldn't notice inaccuracies as easily. So the size is more important to me.

I didn't notice the incorrect Enterprise refit bridge until people pointed it out. :ouch:

137th Gebirg, saddestmoon and ialfan like this.
  5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

That whole saucer, starting with the overall structure, right down to the decals, was an abomination. The rest of it, from the neck back, was actually quite serviceable. All they needed to do was retool the primary hull. It was almost like they gave the job to an intern who didn’t do the appropriate amount of research on one of the most iconic spaceship designs in cinematic history.

Interestingly, by comparison, the XL Reliant was a good example of how to correctly make one of those things, and they were released relatively close to each other, IIRC. The discrepancies are nothing short of baffling - the stuff of cognitive dissonance.

Markonian, saddestmoon, drt and 2 others like this.
  6. Macintosh

Macintosh Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was so strange because the regular-sized model was quite good, even down to getting the saucer rim stripes correct. It was simply baffling that they just utterly muffed the XL version.

Markonian, saddestmoon, drt and 2 others like this.
  7. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Eaglemoss had quite a few baffling errors over the years, but the XL 1701-A was probably the most egregious. How do you look at dozens of test shots, etc, and not notice that the saucer is completely wrong? It's almost like they wanted to do a pre-TMP concept/variant, then totally said "Fuck it, let's release this as an XL 1701-A.

Macintosh, dantini, Markonian and 2 others like this.
  8. saddestmoon

It’s a… ‘what-if-the-TMP bridge module first-pass wasn’t destroyed, and then carried through to the Enterprise 1701-A’ concept - a kinda slightly alternate timeline…???

[gets coat]

Markonian likes this.
  9. Markonian

Please let me know if I’m hogging this thread with images too much.

The TNG shuttle set arrived. I knew those shuttles were regular sized but I had no idea how hefty they are. I’d say even slightly larger than most regular ships.
    IMG_0660.jpeg IMG_0661.jpeg IMG_0662.jpeg IMG_0663.jpeg IMG_0664.jpeg

publiusr, saddestmoon and dantini like this.
  10. dantini

dantini Commander Red Shirt

I'd say you're right, since the boxes these shuttles come in are about 2 cm higher than the ones for the regular models.

Markonian likes this.
  11. Markonian

“Hello Mrs Kazon, this is Caretaker, your Premier Delta Quadrant Takeaway Service. You ordered an intrepid Voyager with extra tricobalt torpedoes?”
    IMG_0668.jpeg

Master Replicas sold TNG Shuttle Set 2.
    I wonder if they’ll offer Shuttle Set 1? It includes the Type-15 shuttlepod and Type-6 shuttlecraft.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  12. dantini

dantini Commander Red Shirt

List for June 9th:

BATMAN: Hot-Toys-Miniature Batman Arkham Knight Batman Armory / Joker mega statue

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: Muffit II

GAME OF THRONES: Dragon: Viserion

STAR TREK Books: Shipyards: The Borg and the Delta Quadrant / STAR TREK Shipyards: Starfleet 2151-2293

STAR TREK Starships Regular Size: Archer's Toy Ship / Cardassian Orbital Weapons Platform / Klingon bird-of-prey (22nd century) / Klingon D7-class battle cruiser / Romulan bird-of-prey (23rd century) / U.S.S. Equinox / U.S.S. / Excelsior (Nilo Rodis Concept II) / U.S.S. Valiant (Jim Martin U.S.S. Defiant concept) / Vulcan T'Pau

STAR TREK ONLINE: Jem'Hadar Vanguard Carrier / U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-F (Star Trek Online / Livery) / U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-F (Federation Livery)

STAR TREK Specials: Klingon D4 bird-of-prey (Kelvin Timeline) / U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 (STAR TREK BEYOND) / Reman Warbird Scimitar / Relay Station 47

STAR TREK Starships Midsize: Klingon Qoj class / Section 31 Drone Fighter / Wallenberg-class tug

STAR TREK plaques: U.S.S. Discovery / U.S.S. Shenzhou

STAR TREK XLs: U.S.S. Defiant NX-74205 / U.S.S. Discovery NCC-1031 / U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 (2256) / U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-C

Markonian, saddestmoon and drt like this.
  13. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Huh, if that's correct, I guess the previous "Reliant concept" was actually supposed to be "Defiant concept".

14. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

ugly as they are…I’m in for the Enterprise F and maybe the JJ-prise.

saddestmoon likes this.
  15. Macintosh

I am disappoint :weep:

Markonian and drt like this.
  16. Macintosh

I deliberately didn't get the Enterprise-F first time around but now it's canon I suppose I have to...

Markonian and saddestmoon like this.
  17. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

Same…when it was just an odd curiosity from STO I was a pass. Now that it’s a legit ship, I need to add one of the versions to my Enterprise display.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
    Markonian, saddestmoon and Macintosh like this.
  18. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Agreed, that's one of the last few previously released ships I still want (almost all of which were bonus issues I never got around to ordering).

Macintosh likes this.
  19. saddestmoon

For those on the fence, I’d recommend the ST: Beyond Enterprise (Refit).

:beer:

F. King Daniel and Markonian like this.
  20. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't stop, wouldn't mind even more :D

I have that Voyager and the Maquis and Kazon ship they released as well :D
    They're MM sized and just have less surface detail, but still cool and cheap.

Markonian likes this.