Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Well, he's still up in arms about anything new Trek.

2. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh my!!! All my unrequited Kelvin Trek EM hope and dreams are becoming reality!!!

Such Pleased!

Huzzah!

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I wish they would do a Kelvin-prise

saddestmoon likes this.
  4. ExtremeSail

ExtremeSail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wish they would do the Ryan Church concept Enterprise, that one is my favourite :hugegrin:

Also, is Eaglemoss able to correct the ship sizes?

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get the KT starship here in Australia. Eaglemoss Australia is very slow to get new products...

Markonian, saddestmoon and publiusr like this.
  5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Their decisions on reference material are perplexing sometimes. I'm still miffed that the NX Defiant is missing engine grills because they used a photo of the shooting model taken years later, after some bits had fallen off. :cardie:

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and the infamous Enterprise-A using references of an early version of the TMP model with different saucer domes.

End of the day, so long as the models of the Armstrong, Mayflower and Newton themselves are movie-accurate and aren't scaled down like the bootleg Axanar versions (which were given much larger windows along with TOS nacelles... it's transformative, you know:lol:), it'll do.

publiusr, Markonian and saddestmoon like this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it’s because the sizes of discovery ships are mostly consistent.

There’s nothing disputing the 750 meter length for the Discovery, like window sizes and such. The ship doesn’t look like it was designed at one size, but then scaled up without changing the hull details to match.

Also I don’t think he’s touched those articles in years.

IIRC His problem with the ship was that in his opinion, it doesn’t look as big as they say it is or something along those lines. Stuff like windows and hull detailing borrowed from the TMP refit not bring rescaled to match the larger size.

And to be fair, it was originally designed to be around 366 meters but then scaled up.

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/new_enterprise_comment.htm#size

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  8. dantini

dantini Commander Red Shirt

9. Markonian

I hope the USS Armstrong entry lists all the sister ships. We know about the USS Noble (NCC-325002), the Cuyahoga also seemed to be a Connie, and then there's the Excalibur (NCC-1664-M).

Wikipedia reveals the USS Thant may be named for Thant, a Burmese diplomat and third secretary general of the UN.

Jörg Hillebrand reckons that's the long, stingray-looking vessel. Tweet: https://twitter.com/gaghyogi49/status/1396475172060811268

The only Liu Cixin on Wikipedia is an extant, successful Chinese science fiction author (The Wandering Earth)...who supports the Uighur camps (ref: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/06/24/liu-cixins-war-of-the-worlds ). I can't find another probable reference, so I presume the ship was named for him before the made the statements.

After "Die Trying", I had kept thinking how clever the writers are by playing it safe and naming the ships after influential people who can't tarnish their own reputation anymore.

10. dantini

dantini Commander Red Shirt

sad 'Raging Queen' noises

Dukhat, Markonian and F. King Daniel like this.
  11. F. King Daniel

There were long threads. Wars. About this. Beyond absolutely confirmed the 725m size with people standing in the windows throughout the movie.

At the size on the magazine cover, those Kelvin engineering hulls on the Newton are only about 10 meters across at their widest point. Having seen inside one at the start of the 2009 movie, we know that cannot be the case.

Tomalak, Gepard, Markonian and 2 others like this.
  12. Markonian

With several Kelvin ships coming out, I've been wondering if it would be worthwhile to kitbash.
    Today, I saw this custom job of recreating the USS Europa (NCC-1648) in the Kelvin timeline: https://www.facebook.com/starchwreck/posts/1936552813158830

Red-colored Armstrong class (as seen in ST2): https://www.facebook.com/starchwreck/photos/pcb.1936549493159162/1936549379825840/

Let's look at licensed, non-canon sources.
    In the Designing Starships: The Kelvin Timeline book by Eaglemoss, there's a single-nacelled USS Excelsior. The cut-in at the back is reminiscent of the Armstrong's (NCC-1769). Early concept art released in "The Art of the Film" also included a rollbar on the Mayflower.

Several games and comics include the Saladin class, which is essentially like the Mayflower, but with a single nacelle underneath. You can't just cut the engineering hull of a USS Kelvin off because then you're still missing the shuttlebay at the saucer's stern.
    Source: https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Saladin_class_(Kelvin_timeline)

In ST: Fleet Command, there's an Intrepid-class battleship. It's the Newton-class arranged like United Earth's Intrepid-class light cruiser from the 2150s. Thus, the engineering hull and nacelle pylons differ from the Newton.

This brings me to the last piece. Early on, there was speculation whether there was a Newton-class variant with a single underslung engineering hull. This turned out to be wrong but it's depicted in concept art, as reproduced om Designing Starships.

For now, I'll leave the ships be, but I'll inspect my USS Armstrong model to see if it's modifiable and whether that's worth it.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    saddestmoon and 137th Gebirg like this.
  13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Just got an email from Eaglemoss- they are finally sending the Worker Bee after waiting for (I think) 3 or 4 years. La Serena is also being shipped. Looks like they may finally be getting back on track.

Markonian and saddestmoon like this.
  14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Did a Google search on "Designing Starships: The Kelvin Timeline" and found something interesting. Apparently there were two variants of the Salcombe design: a large two-nacelled version near the Enterprise-A at the end of STB, and a much smaller four nacelled version seen with multiple copies:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-15JlUCDO...lcombe+with+USS+Enterprise-A+construction.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-beOF3esa.../Star+Trek+Beyond+Yorktown+police+ships+2.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mrTWJ8ao...27/Star+Trek+Beyond+Yorktown+police+ships.jpg

I can't believe I missed them all this time. :eek:

15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone got the Picard BoP yet? Any neat info from the booklet?

16. F. King Daniel

The police ships were modified Salcombes? Mind blown:lol:

Markonian, dantini, David cgc and 2 others like this.
  17. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

The Khitomer Class vessel from STO is up for preorder.
    [​IMG]

18. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

A ship design only it’s mother could love.

BillJ, Michael and dantini like this.
  19. Markonian

<L'Rell enters the chat>

That's amazing! The similarity of the bow and deflector dish is the most obvious connection. The sweep of the pylons seals it.

Is it possible that the Salcombe is just as small as the police ships, and that we just don't see its pair of ventral nacelles?

saddestmoon likes this.
  20. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Nope. The perspective makes it clear the ship is at least as long as one of the Enterprise's nacelles, while the police shuttles were smaller than Krall's command-swarm ship, and there have been BTS pictures of the Salcombe (the big one) that show clearly it only has two warp engines.

I always took the four "nacelles" on the police shuttles to be, like, a grabber of some sort for towing ships. They passed so quickly the perspective must've gotten reversed in my head. Definitely one of the more successful kit-bashes/reuses in Trek history.

publiusr, saddestmoon and Markonian like this.