Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, I’ve seen that page. I also have reference photos of the actual Centaur with every single part labeled. I once built a Centaur replica but I used the wrong parts for many of the greebles/didn’t have all the greebles, so I need to rebuild the entire thing. Luckily this time it will be 100% accurate.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    publiusr and 137th Gebirg like this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

I'm still thinking that's a mistake on Eaglemoss's end, either that or STO painting them green was a mistake on their end. It's hard to say, you can barely see the ships in the show.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  3. matthunter

matthunter Vice Admiral Admiral

Gotta say, I was a bit surprised at how small seeming the Ent-F and the Aventine are compared to some of the other models. Are all the "Bonus" ships that small? The glow-in-the-dark Defiant was listed in the same offer and is the same size as the regular TOS Enterprise model.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

They’re all “box scale”. I don’t think they’re intentionally making things smaller. Ships like the Aventine, Voyager Concept, E-F, E-J and others with the longer nacelles makes for a smaller-looking model that is required to fit in their standardized boxes. The Disco models are a much more reasonable size, but also a bit more expensive, set as the “medium-sized” models between the standard line and the XL line.

5. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seems with the Discovery line they learned their lesson regarding a standardized "box scale".

137th Gebirg likes this.
  6. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Fleet Captain Premium Member

Still bitter about the Breen ship being too small- tbey could have made it a decent size and have it fit in their box scale restrictions easily

137th Gebirg likes this.
  7. 137th Gebirg

True. I was also disappointed with the disparity of detail quality between the metal and plastic bits on that model. Was definitely a mixed bag with that one.

8. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

ben robinson is dropping a bunch of images of new models on twitter, including the surprisingly cool looking quad nacelle stealth ship:
    [​IMG]

Rahul, saddestmoon, Markonian and 2 others like this.
  9. 137th Gebirg

Honestly, I'm kind of liking these S31 designs. It was always so hard to see the bloody things in the show; the lighting was so dark you could barely make out the Disco or the Enterprise and they're not even painted black! You could easily see where something like this would have a lot of additional stealth bells and whistles embedded into the hull, not usually afforded to standard line starships. Still not a fan of the boxy Fulleresque nacelles, but the rest of it is serviceable, I think, and also seems to anachronistically preserve the Excelsior impulse fins like half of the other designs we've seen. :lol:

saddestmoon and Markonian like this.
  10. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

i usually hate ships with more than 2 nacelles, but the detail on the hull on this is pretty cool. and i guess i'm a fan of the section 31 designs too... going back to the vengeance, which is still a badass ship.

BillJ, saddestmoon and 137th Gebirg like this.
  11. 137th Gebirg

So you're not a big fan of the Stargazer, Ahwahnee, AGT E-D, Princeton, Hutzel or Prometheus, I take it?

pst likes this.
  12. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

or the buran. or the europa.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  13. 137th Gebirg

Fair enough...

Do you like the proto-Nebula Melbourne? At least the second pair are tiny. :D

14. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

not a huge fan. it's not like a rule or anything, i like the kelvin and it has one nacelle...

saddestmoon and 137th Gebirg like this.
  15. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really? I really like how it turned out. My fear, based on early pictures, was that it would come off looking like a child's toy, but they managed the colors really well.

In other news, after months of me whining about the Enterprise-F and the Bonaventure not being available on the website, I gave in and bought one of each on eBay. They were both auctions, rather than purchases, so I paid a truly obscene amount for the two of them, even factoring in combined shipping, but it's done, so I'll have that to look forward to in the new decade. I just hope I got a good version of both.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Markonian and mindx2 like this.
  16. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

That Eagle lander from Space; 1999 sounds tempting. I had a toy Eagle when I was younger. It's a great little ship.

BillJ and mindx2 like this.
  17. Markonian

Markonian Commodore Commodore

It sounds strange that they produce 1 model from a long-dead Sci Fi franchise.
    It's a cool thing, but I wonder if this means there could be other one-offs, or more Space:1999 content.

18. 137th Gebirg

It's probably a pilot project, much like the E-A and E-D prior to mass-market production of the main starships line (and the more recent "Build Your Own E-D" which failed). There were a large number of Gerry Anderson vehicles featured in S1999, including multiple configuration variants of the Eagle transporter (not to mention the balls-to-the-wall-awesome Hawk fighter). They can do a lot with this, materially, and they are a British company with a large following of that show (also made in England) - their premiere target market. Makes a ton of sense, actually.

Markonian and mindx2 like this.
  19. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

I'd buy a SPACE 1999 line!! I loved those ships as a kid and had an Eagle ship that was AWESOME!! Pure nostalgia... but I don't care, I want one!! :biggrin:

20. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

That's exactly what I've been hoping for, a line of unrelated ships from movies and TV that couldn't support a themed line on their own. I want a Starship Troopers Rodger Young and an Event Horizon and a Blade Runner Spinner and an Ender's Game Battle School and Formic Ships and a Dark Star and an Innerspace Pod and a Serenity and a Visitor ship from V and so many more and I know I'll probably never get most of them but I can dream. :)

Markonian likes this.