Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Only if Bryan Fuller hadn't been hired.

I mean the entire ship appeared to be black in the show, but Eaglemoss and STO have it as green, and they use show used models given to them by CBS for reference, so who knows.

STO's D7's nacelles are green.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    saddestmoon, Markonian and pst like this.
  2. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

looks deliberate to me. hard to tell from the magazine, but the nacelles may be black there too. honestly, it shocks the hell out of me the ship is green at all, it looks black in the couple episodes it shows up in.

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Maybe they changed the colour for the show, but didn't give them that version of the model. Or it was just terrible lighting.

In the VFX Reel they released for the episode, a couple shots of the model do appear to be green.

pst likes this.
  4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

I love Disco’s VFX, but my biggest complaint was that everything was always too dark. I’m sure this is an accurate representation.

saddestmoon and pst like this.
  5. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The hologram was green XD

saddestmoon and Markonian like this.
  6. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a fan of those nacelles. It looks like a dodgy kitbash.

The 2009 version is still my favourite D7alike.

saddestmoon and pst like this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

They’re meant to be a connection to the season 1 Klingon designs according to the designer. He didn’t want to completely ignore them.

But I honestly don’t see how the nacelles resemble anything from the S1 designs.

MFB and King Daniel Beyond like this.
  8. BillJ

BillJ History's Greatest Monster Premium Member

It would be cool if we could get the Gabe Koerner Enterprise from a few years back.

9. DS9forever

DS9forever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was looking forward to getting the Conestoga today; they sent me the Yeager. :brickwall:

Nothing against the Yeager, I have a model already; it just seems to say "We aren't allowed to use the Voyager model on the show so let's glue the Voyager saucer to the Maquis ship".

10. DS9forever

DS9forever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The D7 was green in Trials and Tribble-ations so I don't mind.

pst and NCC-73515 like this.
  11. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The kitbashes seen in BOBW and season 6 of DS9 were never meant to be seen up close. I mean, could you tell what the Yeager actually looked like, orbiting DS9 from a distance, on a 480p TV?. This isn't some hero ship that's supposed to dominate the screen, like the Enterprise-D. They just slapped some spare model parts together out of spare parts, as best they could, with the limited time and money they had, to flesh out some scenes with ships, with no real expectation that audiences would ever get a good look at them.

Sometimes that means something neat like the Kyushu or the Centaur, but most times, it means a vicious assault on the eyes, like the Curry, the Firebrand, and the Yeager.

C.E. Evans and NCC-73515 like this.
  12. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

The Yeager was built several seasons before the other kitbashes made for “A Time to Stand.” I’m convinced it was built as an in-joke. I remember first seeing the ship on my tiny tv screen and thinking that it was an Intrepid class, and only later when I saw screencaps on the internet did I realize there was something very wrong with the ship. :)

13. 137th Gebirg

I actually still have a set of unbuilt Voyager and Raider kits sitting on my model shelf that I bought for the explicit purpose of one day building a studio-scale Yeager. I love that ugly-ass design.

Markonian, DS9forever, pst and 2 others like this.
  14. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Fleet Captain Premium Member

I love the word "kitbash". Says it all!

137th Gebirg likes this.
  15. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

another angle on the Disco-7:
    [​IMG]

Rahul, Markonian, saddestmoon and 2 others like this.
  16. 137th Gebirg

Nice upgrade to a classic design. I do find the engines slightly jarring and probably wouldn't be so much if they were painted the same base color. Making them black, with the rest of the ship green, makes them stand out all the more starkly. But, I guess this is how the model was originally built, so... :shrug:

17. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got my Batris today, I never really thought much about this ship since 1987, other than I probably would have sworn they used the ST3 Merchantman for it.

18. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

just a guess, but given that the engines are the biggest deviation from the classic design, this might indicate they're modular and potentially swapped out for engines closer to the TOS model down the road.

saddestmoon and 137th Gebirg like this.
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

I did the same thing, only I also got another kit along with the airplane kit needed to make the Elkins. I’m sure neither model will ever get built though. They’re just too damn big. I do however have all the parts needed to build an accurate Centaur, which I will tackle next year.

NCC-73515 and 137th Gebirg like this.
  20. 137th Gebirg

If you have an account over at RPF, and if you're not already aware of it, you might find this thread interesting.