Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

Odd. I thought all of the ships were certified John Eaves. I mean, the DIS ones look similar enough to what they did in 1996.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

The phaser hard points (stolen right from the TMP era), the hull texturing, and the nacelles (round bussard collectors similar to TOS) all looks more primitive than the late 24th century.

3. BillJ

BillJ History’s Greatest Monster Premium Member

No complaints with the NX-01. Sharp model.

saddestmoon, Michael and pst like this.
  4. pst

pst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

one of the best (if not the very best) models they've done. along with the XL NX-01 and refit NX-01.

mindx2 and Michael like this.
  5. BillJ

If I were to pick extremely minor nits, they colored the rcs thrusters yellow on the model though they aren't that color on the series version.

6. Hey Missy

^ and the deflector dish still isn't a separate piece like it is on other pre-built models

7. BillJ

Yep. Though for its size, I think it is a great model. Have it and the Double-E sitting on my desk.

Just waiting for my Discovery E now. Ordered it before the two I got from Amazon, yet it just shipped today. 7-10 days, I think they shipped it Pony Express.

8. thribs

thribs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Discovery E? Have I missed something?

9. Dimesdan

Dimesdan Living the Irish dream. Premium Member

The USS Enterprise that appears in Star Trek Discovery.

BillJ likes this.
  10. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Even the Akira?

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see structural similarities even if you refuse to.

I liked the Akira when I first saw it. I don't like it so much anymore.

12. Dimesdan

Dimesdan Living the Irish dream. Premium Member

It's not really a case of refusing too see it, it's just a case of differing opinions. I also don't think the Disco designs would fit in to a later time period as they are.

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair enough. I happen to see the Cardenas class’s saucer as a lesser-detailed Sovereign class saucer turned 180 degrees, and the Hoover class’s saucer similar to the Excelsior class and its nacelles similar to the Saber class.

14. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm always weary about quoting myself, but whenever someone claims Discovery ships looks like FC-DS9 era ships...

Just because one detail looks kinda similar doesn't mean the whole is interchangeable.

Most of the ships from the pilot have hard edges, a fair bit of greebling, and proportion that are a little weird. Then you get to Discovery, which has extremely fine proportions, a mostly smooth surface, but still a lot of hard angles. Discoprise, with NX-01 details, is visibly less refined than NCC-1030, though more simplified than Shenzhou.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Markonian and pst like this.
  15. pst

i can understand how the evolution of nacelles toward the more rectilinear forms in the 24th century is echoed by the nacelles in the discovery era. but for me that's where the similarities end.

that said, my mind still always groups the binary stars fleet with the first contact fleet too.

i think it has less to do with the ships looking like they belong alongside one another and more to do with how they've been presented to us. in both cases, we're given a handful of new federation ships that have distinct silhouettes and play with the traditional federation starship arrangement in different ways. both of those fleets were designed to feature distinct ships that were still recognizably star trek. the same thought process that brought us the steamrunner-class with the nacelles bridging the primary and secondary hulls in such a unique way is what also brought us the hoover-class with the nacelles literally built into the primary hull. the designers broke down the enterprise's three main components (primary hull, secondary hull, and engines) and remixed them to create new ships that were different enough from the enterprise and from each other to be recognized at a distance and intermingling with one another in frenetic battle sequences.

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Surely Disco nacelles are a mid-point between Phoenix/NX-01/Connie cylinders and the TMP rectangular/art deco ones?

They seem to fit quite well to me.

17. pst

i think that assumes an organic evolution from cylindrical to rectangular, which we'd all prefer to see. but realistically, technology takes a lot of different forms over the years. automobiles didn't evolve fluidly like animals. i guess the same goes for warp nacelles.

BillJ likes this.
  18. Hey Missy

I saw a fan mod of the Shenzhou where all they did was replace the nacelles with cylindrical ones and alter some of the hull detailing. I don't think it looks "cheesy" at all and looks like it would fit in both ENT or TOS.
    [​IMG]

Tomalak likes this.
  19. BillJ

The TOS detailing makes a world of difference on the Walker-class.

20. Rahul

Rahul Commodore Commodore

It's the dark grey as the primary color that makes the DISCO-fleet look so much like the First Contact fleet.

The TOS & TOS movie era had eggshell white to complete white starships, in the TNG era (TNG, VOY, DS9) all Federation ships had the same hue of metallic grey, like used in modelwork and Star Wars. The ENT-era had almost black-ish metallic ship hulls.

Both the First Contact fleet (save the white Enterprise E) and the DISCO-fleet have ethe same hue of dark, videogame-like grey. Both have a few more intricate designs (Akira-class & Shenzhou/Kerala), but mostly very box-y ships (Steamrunner class, Saber-class, Norway-class) that are mostly flat and have very square, short nacelles. They look like they were made by the same design team in one swoop. But it mostly comes down because from the distance, they look like a wild variety of configurations, all held together by having the exact same hull color.

Markonian and pst like this.