Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Really??? That's a very interesting development! Particularly since FJ's daughter apparently expressed her displeasure at the unapproved use of her dad's two-face UFP logo early in Disco's first season. Maybe that incident induced CBS to finally settle the matter with his estate once and for all, and officially invite his body of work back into canon. An Eaglemoss treatment of his dreadnaught, scout/destroyer and cargo tug designs would be awesome! IMO, of course... :)

BillJ likes this.
  2. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've seen pictures of Voyager and I like that they got rid of that little serif on the "7" in the registry number. It's strange, the things that bug you or not. That little thing irks me, but the lack of impulse drive on the Enterprise-C doesn't.

3. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I assume the solution involves bags of money being handed over to the Joseph estate. ;)

BillJ and 137th Gebirg like this.
  4. 137th Gebirg

No doubt! :lol:

It really was a foolish thing for Roddenberry to do back then, IMO, but they're both gone now and these old feuds need to go with them.

5. t_smitts

It's been a while since I got a new ship (at least a month, I think), so I biked over to my regular collectible store. To be honest, I've already got all the ships I was really excited about, so this was just adding another ship from the ones they had.

I eventually settled on the Romulan science vessel. It's a quirky little ship. It's the exact same size as the Romulan scout ship, and I suspect they resused some molds from the scout ship in making this one. I'm also not entirely sure which side is up. The only difference is a raised line along the spine that's a bit longer on one side. The magazine has the shorter line on top, but on the scout ship the longer line is up.

Not a ship I'd write home about, but decent enough. Maybe I'll watch "The Next Phase" later tonight along with it.

Markonian likes this.
  6. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

You might also go for VOY “Favourite Son”, where the science vessel reappears as brown shiip.

In STO, the side with the short spine is up.
    Source: see Talon class on Commander’s Gig - https://sto.gamepedia.com/Commander's_Gig

7. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

via the facebook fan group, high quality renders of a few eaglemoss ships, including the kelvin timeline shuttles.

i've always loved the shuttle from star trek into darkness (and the background of star trek beyond), but i never realized how far back its nacelles went:
    [​IMG]

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Love this site! Thanks for the heads-up! I've been looking all over the internet for high-res version of the renders used in the magazines. Unfortunately, this site doesn't feature all of them, though. For example, I love the rendering of the Intrepid (from Enterprise) where you can see the shuttlebay doors. But I've not been able to locate a good version of it online.

pst likes this.
  9. MFB

MFB Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

10. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

I am slightly confused by the transport shuttle. What is its number, is it 9 (under the engine cowlings) or USS 12091, or is it both? I am disappointed not to see its name - Dimassa 01 - on the hull. My favorite of the shuttles is the Warrant.

I love the Voyager concept. It sucks that it wasn't the hero ship.

11. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I’ve got the next STD ship coming today. I believe it’s the Europa.

saddestmoon, 137th Gebirg and pst like this.
  12. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Really?! I think what they ended up with was a massive improvement. I love the Intrepid-class design! The concept ship on the other hand always looked like a misshapen mesh of the Excelsior and a runabout to me.

13. t_smitts

Yeah, I remember that. I was 14-15 when that episode came out and I *still* recognized it on screen. They had enough generic ship-of-the-week models that they could've redressed another without using a ship from a well-known race.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Check out those Next Gen LCARS displays inside the Warrant shuttle:lol:

pst likes this.
  15. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

^ And the Military Transport shuttle is the Argo with a JJverse skin.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

IIRC, the design did draw elements from both the Excelsior- and Danube-classes. As it is, it could be looked at as a vessel in the same family as the Danube-class, intended to be more of a utilitarian workhorse than a flashy cruise liner.

Personally, I always preferred the concept design, so I'm glad Eaglemoss is doing it.

17. chevron

chevron Lieutenant Red Shirt

Has any uk subscriber to the Discovery Ships received issue 4 yet, the bird of prey?

18. 137th Gebirg

I find it astonishing that US subscribers are getting things before UK subscribers are now. This is a recent trend.

19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I did about a month ago. Got the Europa recently

Markonian likes this.
  20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I was always under the impression that the science vessel was supposed to be scaled up in relation to the scout ship. The script for the episode even noted that the ship was "half the size of the Enterprise-D." Also, I always assumed that the squared off section that used to be the scout ship cockpit was actually the engine room (and hence, the rear of the ship), since that's where the warp core was ejected from.