Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh my god. DIS has to be the worst Trek show in regards of designing starships overall. This is just plain ugly to look at. And the new sizes are ridiculous!

With the exception of the Shenzhou these starships look more fitting for a mobile video game than an actual HD-series. And it's still astonishing that the Shenzhou is a more finished and coherent design than that of our friggin' MAIN SHIP of the new series!

Ethros, Griffeytrek, mindx2 and 2 others like this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I disagree completely.
    Except for the Klingon ships.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  3. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

i would've liked it if they reworked their original model too. one of the things that always bugged me about the original kelvin enterprise model was the lack of lines around the saucer edge. they're still missing on the beyond version. and obviously it has all the issues we've already discussed.

however, i'm holding out hope it looks better in hand than it does in photos. i like the beyond refit as much as i like the original configuration, so ya know i'm giving it a pass.

Rahul likes this.
  4. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. If you compare the level of detail of the JJprise/Beyond-refit (a supersized special!) with their crown jewel, the NX-01 - a REGULAR issue(!), the difference is astonishing. Especially since in both cases they were working off of a proper CGI-model. Somehow, everything was off - the hull color looked toy-like, there were no details on the rims of the saucer (even the REGULAR TOS-Enterprise had some!), almost all hull details were completely muted and unpainted.... I really don't know what happened there. Corporate middle-management?

Markonian and pst like this.
  5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Maybe they had to cut back on the detailing and elaborate paint work to compromise for the fact it was so big. Seems counter-intuitive to me as well, but who knows? :shrug:

6. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Without spoilers, I wonder if ships from the newest DSC episode will make the cut for the collection.

137th Gebirg and pst like this.
  7. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

i certainly expect/anticipate a vulcan cruiser, but that actually dates back to "lethe".

Rahul, 137th Gebirg and Markonian like this.
  8. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

US customers

Probert Enterprise C is up for preorder on the Eaglemoss website.

9. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

jumbo voyager arrived along with shuttles 3 and the kelvin timeline book (it was an embarrassment of riches).
    [​IMG]
    there's a lot more sculpted detail on this version than i expected, nice molding of the sensors strips and windows. but speaking of windows, are you surprised to learn they are badly misaligned? no? ok. otherwise, the black lines around the structural integrity grid(?) aren't as bad i as i thought they would be, they kind of add contrast to otherwise subtle surface detail. once again there are positives and drawbacks to this one. i would've loved if they used transparent parts for the bussards and deflector dish. as they are now, they're a bit cartoonish.

i've seen people on the facebook fan page describe this one as the best XL so far, but i think that honor belongs to the NX-01. this one is just a little too toy-like.

it's a bummer, but i was more excited about the workbee and enterprise-E shuttle than i was about the XL voyager (there's more careful application of transparent parts on the -E shuttle than on the jumbo VOY).
    [​IMG]
    i have a little bit of buyer's remorse, if i'm being honest. voyager's basically just a placeholder on my desk until the shenzhou arrives next month.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  10. Markonian

Yeah, already on preview pictures Voyager looks like the regular version just blown up in size, with nary a detail added.

OTOH, I need a big solid Voyager model. :ouch:

11. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

well... there is a lot more sculpted detail here than on the regular version, at least in contrast to the other jumbos i have (NX and enterprise-E), which just feel like bloated standard sizers. she's just kind of a clunky, chubby ship by design. on my desk, she kind of looks like a playskool starship.

Markonian likes this.
  12. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never had that much interested in the big ships. Not that I don't like them. It's just that they're REALLY expensive, and I could buy a bunch of regular-sized ships for that price.

That said, I'm somewhat interested in the big Voyager, simply because all the pictures I've seen of the regular-sized Voyager are such a letdown. It's actually pretty much the only "hero" ship I don't have now. What do people think of it vs. the regular-sized Voyager?

Markonian likes this.
  13. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

personally, i feel like i probably should've just stuck with the regular issue and saved the money. the standard sized issue is just about as good as the XL, relative to their individual sizes.

14. Markonian

Apart from the drab mono-gray color, standard Voyager is among my top favourite models. It is the same size as it’s Furuta counterpart, but much better in quality, and totally better than the Johnny Lightning version.

15. Markonian

16. 137th Gebirg

^^^ A thousand likes! :)

Markonian likes this.
  17. Markonian

As per Facebook, there’s a new ship every other month. Issue 2 is the (2004) Cylon raider.

Can’t wait for the battlestars. :drool:

137th Gebirg likes this.
  18. 137th Gebirg

Is there a subscription capability yet?

19. Markonian

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    137th Gebirg likes this.
  20. Markonian