Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I popped into a local flea market today, on the off-chance that somebody there had a few. One of the vendors I asked said another guy there had some and sure enough the guy had eleven ships sitting around for the last few months... until some guy came in and bought them all earlier that day!!! :brickwall:

He actually had one ship left loose, but it was the Romulan drone, which I already have. I don't know what ships he had but odds are there would've been at least one or two I wanted. I'd actually been thinking of checking it out a few weeks ago, but decided to check out another place instead (which had nothing). :shrug:

Well, I'd found a slightly used copy of Doctor Strange on blu-ray at a used movie/music store earlier that day (Meaning I'm now caught up on one of my other collections, the MCU movies), and I've got three ships in the mail, so the day's not a total loss. :cool:

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:wah:

t_smitts likes this.
  3. t_smitts

Well, I came home to a surprise today. The online tracking number said my order (again, Romulan Warbird and Reliant) had been delivered, which, since I wasn't there to accept it, I took to mean they'd left a slip and I'd get it from the post office tomorrow.

Nope, it was resting against to door to my apartment when I got home. Obviously, I'm glad I don't have to wait another day, but leaving a package out in the hallway for anyone to grab? I mean, I think I live in a pretty good building in a pretty good neighborhood, but still...

But setting that aside, I was happy to unbox them. I already had a Reliant from the Johnny Lighting set, which is pretty close in scale, so I think I was a little more excited about the Warbird (although I've read a lot of good review for the Reliant model over the years, and I agree).

I noticed a couple of odd things about the Warbird though. First off, has anyone else had any magazines missing the issue number? The Reliant's magazine had one, but the Warbird didn't. Not that big a deal, though. One other thing I noticed, however, having grown up with the Micro Machine version, was that the "wing" sections on this one are much more arched. If you look at the model from the back, it almost looks hunchbacked Is this more accurate to the on-screen model? I even pulled out my TNG blu-rays and rewatched "Tin Man" to see if I could figure it out, but it's hard to tell.

Regardless, I'm happy with both models, all in all, and hopefully I'll be getting a Fortunate to judge this week too, and possibly a Saratoga will be hitting the stores too. With those two, my shelf will be officially filled to capacity. Time to get a bigger one.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Mine has a number. All my mags have had one except for the specials.

5. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I received my next shipment yesterday. Looked like Eaglemoss skipped an issue for me; the Federation Holoship. I called and apparently it's on backorder and should come out as part of next month's shipment. With the horror stories on here about people still not having certain issues months later, I hope I don't join those people.

6. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

HOT WHEELS did a better job on their HALO vehicles than they did Trek.

And there are Fate of the Furious tie ins. Trek Beyond--Nah--course not.

7. t_smitts

Still waiting on the Fortunate, but I was pleased to see that my regular store got in the Saratoga this week, which I wasted no time in snatching up. (If funds permit, I may be back for the Romulan scout ship, in a couple of weeks, if it's still there).

Always nice to get another Fed ship. I like that it's clearly not a re-mold of the Reliant (which was the case with the Micro Machine version). It's a slightly larger scale (possibly to make it clear that it's not a re-mold to anyone comparing them side-by-side). The seam lines on the underside are much more subtle than on the Reliant. I also feel like the nacelles are a bit more secure, as opposed to being held on by two flimsy and VERY thin struts that turn into the Reliant's roll bar (I'm still haunted by visions of one of the Equinox nacelles breaking off, not once, but twice). I've heard some people complain that the blue of the Saratoga's nacelles are painted on, rather than using clear plastic, like they did before, but, having just rewatched the opening scene of "Emissary", I can confirm that neither ship had glowing nacelles (no Mirandas would, until we got into the CG age), so technically they're both wrong, but not a big deal to me either way.

8. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

When do we ever see Constitution-refit nacelles glowing, besides in CGI? I feel like the blue glow might have been "retconned" (for lack of a better word) in by toy companies.

9. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

The interior of the refit Enterprise's nacelles glow blue when she's at warp in TMP. I don't think the Reliant model ever had that feature though, nor did the Excelsior or Grissom. However, the second Excelsior model that Greg Jien built for Flashback did have blue glowy nacelles.

10. t_smitts

Yes, it's been a while since I saw that episode, but from what I've read, they used shots of the new model (which, for those who don't know, was built because the original had been permanently converted into the Enterprise-B) interchangeably with stock footage of the old one, which didn't glow. (Of course there were at least a couple of far more noticeable continuity problems with that episode...)

11. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

It was the Flashback model which became the base for the CGI version, which does have blue nacelle glows.

I think its last physical appearance was as the USS Malinche in Deep Space Nine - though it may have appeared in the opening of A Time to Stand and some other early season six episodes.

12. t_smitts

The Fortunate finally arrived today. (Again, I came home to a package resting against the door in the hallway for anyone to take). :vulcan:

Setting that aside, for such a small ship (which is inevitable when you're dealing with that kind of length-to-width ratio), it's incredibly detailed, probably the most of any of the nearly fifty ships I currently have. Maybe even more so than the Romulan drone.

Well done, Eaglemoss.

Since I just bought the Enterprise blu-ray set this week (and had to exchange it due to the plastic book inside that holds the discs being broken, but that's another story), I rewatched "Fortunate Son". I may or may not have played with the Fortunate, the Nausicaan ship, and the NX-01 models a bit while watching the episode... :shifty:

Markonian likes this.
  13. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

publiusr, Markonian and 137th Gebirg like this.
  14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Aw, damn. Lookee there... Something new to blow my money on... :D

15. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hell I play with all of them. It's why I have had to get multiples because I know if I didn't I would eventually break them all.

The fortunate is my favorite design from Enterprise. And when the collection was first announced it was one of the two ships that I was really hoping would get made. Of course I was very, very happy that I got both my wishes before we ever even reached the end of the first announced production run of 70.

And eaglemoss made one of their very best models. Huge props to them for what couldn't have been an easy ship to produce (I assume).

Markonian likes this.
  16. mswood

If anyone knows what ships are covered in the first designing starship book I would love to know, as I don't want to buy it if its ships I either didn't like or I have the bulk of the designs between the magazines and other sources that have come out over the years.

US Residents if any of you have ordered the 2nd shuttle set could you post when you get them. Without tracking numbers unlike the subscription and eaglemoss shop not always being timely. If I don't have someone checking the mail run, it will be left at my house and stole before I get home from work.

So it always helps when I hear they have started to arrive, so I can make sure someone is there. itherwise I will be wasting a ton of time and burning up a lot favors.

17. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

@mswood, Volume 1 covers the first 7 Enterprises. Source: http://herocollector.com/Article/first-look-star-trek-designing-starships-vol2

On making sure your delivery is save: Can you change the delivery address to that of a neighbor, friend, family member or your work place to ensure a safe delivery?

Btw, I play with them too, that's why I got multiples of most of them. I'm clumsy as hell. :lol:
    (I'll never forget my second Kelvin - the bottom of the saucer was loose so I glued it back in. Which caused the plastic to melt! :ack:).

In other news, reading the Kyushu magazine I was intrigued to learn that the pods were attached as an afterthought. So I ordered another Kyushu, got it today - and pulled out the trio of pods. Here's the welcome surprise: if you don't break them, you can plug them back in like the runabout's rollbar! They even hold rather securely. The leaner frame makes the ship look like a more streamlined Enterprise-D. :bolian:

18. t_smitts

Apart from the extra "D" I got, I don't really have any duplicate. I don't have the room, and if I've got money to spend on a ship. it's gonna be on one I don't have yet. I've had a few mishaps, but fortunately I have some very good glue.

If I'd known I was going to find a 3-pack of the C, D, and E last October, I would've bought another ship on eBay in January of last year, instead of that one. (Also, if I'd known there was a Hideki collecting dust at a local comic shop, I would've gotten something else on eBay the year before THAT) :lol:

I've heard a lot of people say the obscure or one-shot ships often look better than the "hero" ships.

What was the other ship you wanted? I still have a few on my wishlist I'd like to see.

I'll look forward to that one. It's one of the few Wolf 359 or "Frankenstein Fleet" ships that doesn't offend the eyes.

In other news, I impulsively ordered an Enterprise-B the other day. It was a bit more than I normally spend on a single ship, but that one's hard to find and it was the best price on there right now. The reason was the shelf I keep them on it just about full (the "B" will be my 50th ship, not counting the aforementioned extra "D" that I keep in a box) and I've got the top row filled with all the Enterprises from the numbered sets (technically, I don't have a refit, but "A" is close enough, in my opinion, and I keep the "J" on a lower level for safety reasons).

I just wanna see them all on a row, before I transition to a bigger bookcase.

One other note, has anyone seen what binders are going for on eBay these days? I'd like another, but I'm NOT paying the price of a model for a binder!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  19. mswood

Interesting Idea on the Kyushu. I especially don't care for the bottom pod.

And interestingly enough today Eaglemoss charged me for the shuttle pack. I was quite surprised because previously on preorders I had always been charged when I placed the order. So I think its safe to say they should be coming soon.

20. mswood

It was the Pasteur, Have to say both ships were fairly well done.
    As for the hero ships, I think most have been fairly well done, thank God they have finally fixed the Defiant. Basically the one's with the bulk o issues are models that Eaglemoss doesn't have a CGI file that was created by the FX houses that work on Trek. The only real exception to this is original CGI files that were never complete(like the Antares, where CBS Digital was never going to show the top so the detail was never added to the CGI model, or the utter disgrace of the Negh'Var which Voyager did create a CGI file for (I wonder if the file was lost)). Because its really rare for a complete disaster to come out of something that was made for the TV shows.

So how much are the binders selling for?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017