star trek: starfleet academy #4: the assassination game by Alan Gratz

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by timothy, Apr 3, 2012.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

is aviable for preorder on june 26, 2012.

no cover or info on the book just it's release date.

I love this series.

2. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Re: star trek: starfleet academy #4: the assassination game by Alan Gr

It's Star Trek meets The Hunger Games! This one may be a must-read for me just because it features sporks.

3. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Excited for this! Love the name Varkolak. Wonder what type of aliens they'll be.

4. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I hope for Hirogen.

5. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

May I ask why Hirogen? I'm a bit mad about the original Delta Quadrant cameo in these books, we don't need another.

Any one read any other books by Alan Gratz? I've read his short story in "Tomo: Friendship Through Fiction" not long ago. it was pretty good. A nice ghost story. He's got a number of YA books to his name from what I see on Amazon. Mixed bag of Baseball, Japanese cultural, Fantasy and Shakespeare retellings, all which are highly rated. I hope this bodes well.

I'm a bit worried about this line of books, given the long hiatus (Pushed back 10 months!) and from what's slipped out some heavy reediting on earlier entries in the series. A fifth book was originally listed on Amazon for January 2012 by Rick Barba. That book is no longer up there. Are we down to one of these books a year now, no more? Anyone know.

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I believe that the book is out when I'm holding an actual copy, considering how many times the book has been pushed back.

Chapters-Indigo.ca has a listing for book 5, but the release date isn't till August 27, 2013.

But I've really been enjoying the series, just like I enjoyed the original Starfleet Academy series back in the 90's.

7. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

They can make first contact with them sooner in the Abramverse, Hirogen are nomands anyway.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Admiral

Presumably they figure that these YA books need the buzz of a new movie/DVD release to buoy the sales along. They aren't really being marketed at Star Trek fans, but readers of YA fiction in general. And that key demographic is still buying/reading lots of books according to recent surveys.

The thing with YA, though: the target audience often moves on to new horizons very quickly, so young adults who bought/read the first three books may not be the core audience who want the next batch. Adult collectors will buy them all anyway, but the YA crowd is transient.