Star Trek Series 6 idea : set it 100 years after Next Gen

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Bones1864, Sep 26, 2007.

1. voss749

voss749 Commander Red Shirt

Re: Star Trek Series 6 idea : set it 100 years after Next Ge

DS9 was good in the fact that, the federation wasnt perfect, , it normally tried to do the best it could, made mistakes, sometimes pissed people off. I think the only mistake the writers made was the way the maqui were handled, I would think once the dominion war started perhaps the feddies might have admitted "maybe we could learn something from the maqui".

2. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think they'd be around in the same form. I think it would make sense that they become somewhat more of a "warrior class" than they are now. It probably takes a lot of resources to build a starship, and a timeship would be even more expensive. So it seems like if the central government became weak, the people building "Starfleet ships" would be industrial centers. Those centers would probably get as much loyalty as anyone in the central government. I don't see why the two wouldn't work, except the idea that the other factions *must* be alien, but I'm not sure that's neccessary. Different factions fighting over control of the fed might try to tweak history for an advantage -- get something of value moved from one planet to the other, remove events that cause them problems in the present.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

You just gave me an idea...perhaps while the Federation has crumbled former member planets don't fear or despise Starfleet but instead are vying for control over it?

4. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would only be a problem if they used the exact same alien races, technology and specific characters. There's no problem using the basic premise. The concept of Andromeda isn't that unique to prevent it being used by someone else.

5. Balthier the Great

Well, at first I guess they might vie for control, but given the expense of building a ship and hiring a crew, I would think that eventually, individual planets or alliances would get control of certain ships. So you could have a series of regional powers each with their own private starfleet. It would still officially be the starfleet loyal to the federation, they'd just end up taking orders from whatever local group funded their ship.

6. Admiral_Young

Ah remember though money doesn't exist in this century...lol. I understand your point. Starfleet still continuing in the form we have all known and loved in this type of situation doesn't really make sense if there is no Federation. Although it did in the ENT era as it was soely an Earth based organization. Earth is esseentially isolationsist again, reeling from the collapse of the Federation and not knowing how to recover.

7. Balthier the Great

money, no. Matter and energy, yes. I would imagine that you'd have to be pretty industrialized to be able to pull off an Ent-D type ship, and technology might have advanced to the point where Ent-D would be the little ship in the fleet. Just building the engines would be a strain on a light industrial planet.

8. Admiral_Young

Well when I dreamed up this idea which is really just a rough idea actually, I'm shooting off the hip here, I don't have anything written down, I sort of imagined that Starfleet would be mothballed for the most part. Using older class ships from the late 24th Century along with the ships they used during the catalysm at the start of the 25th Century. There would only be a few starbases online and of course the main headquarters located on Earth. However its only partially functional as a military and exploratory organization. In fact I see Starfleet becoming an almost scavenger institution in this period as they use their remaining ships to search for more resources and savalable ship parts. Our series Captain could be considered rouge as he or she has chosen to not partake in this mundane exsistance and attempt a restoration of the Federation. Oh and btw the series title would be "Star Trek: Restoration"