Game "Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury" What happened?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by MCKurland, May 9, 2017.

?

Do you want this game to be finished?

1. Yes! Make it so!

24 vote(s)
    96.0%
  2. Unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The word is no.

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hard to say since there really wasn't much gameplay done by that point. It was mostly cancelled due to its exorbitant costs which they had underestimated. It wasn't really something they could undertake given their financial difficulties.

2. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I am going to venture into dangerous territory. If the game were completed by fans, and in the gameplay style of that era, how many people would play it?

3. Yosef Lindell

Yosef Lindell Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't monitor this forum much anymore, hence my very untimely reply. But it's amazing that 20 years later, SOVF threads still come up with some frequency. Every time I see one, I learn something new. Now it seems like not only was the game not far along, but they never really recorded the dialogue either. Sad, but not unexpected.

Some of you may remember that 10 years ago, I released a point-and-click adventure called Star Trek: the Continuing Voyage. It was a full 8 mission game in the spirit of 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites. It's still available online at www.startrekthecontinuingvoyage.com, and in my opinion, it's the only thing that has gotten close to what made the original Interplay adventures so great. The problem is that I'm not a programmer, so the code--written in Visual Basic--is rudimentary and poor, and I have not maintained it over the years. (The graphics were all lifted from other games as well and edited in MSPaint!) So good luck trying to get it to run on any modern version of Windows. I haven't had success post XP, but some friends have played it on Windows 7.

I still wish that someone could do something with my game. The story's basically all there--although I'm a better writer than I was then, having published some original science fiction short stories in professional magazines in recent years. The game just needs some investment of time, money, and programming expertise to make it something really great. I'm the developer, so I'm biased, but I think those that play it will see what I mean.

Anyway, I'd love to talk about it with anyone who's interested.

4. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Since there was a script, I wonder how much trouble it would be for somebody who has a copy to just scan it and post online somewhere as-is, rather than adapting as a novel, fan-made game, etc.

Kor

5. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't that one guy manage to crack all the audio out of it, and was going to make a series of CGI episodes, years ago?

6. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

(See's a post on the front page and catches "The secret of Vulcan fury" title, runs in all excited, could it be, have they found the whole game, is it coming out, are they going to give us something..............get's in..........and.........:()

This and Who lost episodes threads still cause me to skip a beat all these years after, just can't give up that last bit of hope. lol

7. Ronald Held

There was talk, years ago, about DC Fontana converting it to a novel.

8. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

As mentioned up-thread, Pocket Books wasn't interested. So it's not going to happen.

Kor

Ronald Held likes this.
  9. MCKurland

MCKurland Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If the dialogue tracks still exist, I think the fans at least deserve to hear them. Especially in the case of DeForest Kelley's final performance as Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy.

10. 1moreRobot

1moreRobot Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The developer said the following (from my earlier post)
    "To be clear, almost no recordings were done for this game, in spite of what has been reported."

mos6507 likes this.
  11. Danlav05

Danlav05 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan and Mark Lenard are all now gone. Do have this lost chapter of their Star Trek career unearthed would be a must for any Trek fan.

12. Ronald Held

Impressed that this topic still exists. Seems highly unlikely any game will officially be made. If fans can do so, that would be acceptable.

13. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Perhaps somebody could do it as a mod to an existing game. I remember that somebody made lots of TOS interiors for "Elite Force."

For such a project to be accurate, D.C. Fontana would have to be willing to reveal all the story details.

Kor

14. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

(See's a post on the front page and catches "The secret of Vulcan fury" title, runs in all excited)

Awww, come on people, your playing with my dreams and hopes here, if it's not this it's the Dr Who lost epsiodes thread. lol

15. Tallguy

Tallguy Commodore Commodore

Haven't you heard? The BBC found a black and white recording of The Secret of Vulcan Fury in some guys attic in Australia.

16. Danlav05

There's conflicting reports to whether the cast returned to record hteir lines or not! The lines on the traielrs were lifted from Judgement Rites, however there are rumours that recordings were done, with Maurice LaMarche taking over from DeForest Kelley, who did initial recordings, when he got ill.

I'm aware that there may be rights issues surrounding CBS/Paramount/Interplay etc, so it will take a lot of tiem and money to investigate this fully, not to mention the legal stuff. My main question is the audio, the performances, if they existed or not? There seem to be conflicting reports.

Yorktown: A Time To Heal with George Takei was revived nearly 30 years later but that was a fan film.

17. Danlav05

Featuring some recordings, done over at least 5 days. All 7 went into the studio, Kelley ajourned early, replaced by LaMarche

mos6507 likes this.
  18. Tallguy

Tallguy Commodore Commodore

Wow. That was great. Thank you for posting this.

Danlav05 likes this.
  19. captainkirk

captainkirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was amazing. I didn't realize that much footage had survived. After all the discussions before I had assumed we'd seen all there was to see.

It's time some developer got the Star Trek license and made a spiritual successor to these games. An adventure focused on story and character rather than action.

Danlav05 likes this.
  20. Ronald Held

Thanks for posting! I presume this video indicates too little material exists to finish the game.

Danlav05 likes this.