Star Trek redone on DVD?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by neilysan, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

Too $$$$ for my pocket book, i'll wait for the price to drop like it did for the original TOS DVD sets =P

- W -
    * CBS has got to be kidding themselves with the price *

2. destructive

destructive Commander Red Shirt

but is bd-java compatible with every blu-ray player? no.

3. benny

benny Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely right. Most of the players out there will need a hardware update instead of just a firmware update. However, there are units on the market now which are capable...and every new one will be similarly capable. So what Paramount is essentially doing is not releasing TOS on BR because their Java features won't be playable on some players currently on the market. At the end of November, when the set is slated for release, there will be BD-J players on the market and the early adopters (ie. everyone with with HD or BR right now)-at least some of them-will have upgraded.

Why didn't Disney hold off on the two Pirates movies until BD-J was installed everywhere? Chicken Little, Ultimate Avengers, Waiting, Weeds (S1 and S2), LXG...all with BD-J apps right now.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's almost... affordable. :eek:

5. guardian

guardian Commodore

What makes you think they'll only discount the $218 price down to $199---that's absurd.

I've never seen a box set of anything only reduced that percentage on the release day.

What I was saying is that STARTREK.COM 's announcement for the original box sets said $150 and EVERY chain store had them for $99.99 on release day.

So if they expect anybody--even desperate HD-DVD fanatics----to buy them they better be no more than $150 tops on release day for this new set.

6. benny

To be exact, S1 was $134, S2 and S3 $129 ( S1 , S2 and S3 ).

Now, retailers had them on the shelf for $99.99 release week, meaning the release week sets were 73.88% (S1) and 76.74% (S2/3) of the MSRP. If the same model holds true-which I sincerely doubt-this S1 set would go for $160. That's still far more expensive than Rescue Me S3 ($79.95) or Smallville S6 ($79.98).

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they will. Paramount supports both formats.

Besides, now that Target and Blockbuster are both going exclusively to BluRay, the format war is pretty much over anyway.

8. benny

According to Home Media Retailing...

"Target for now does not sell any high-definition disc players in its stores, although a Toshiba HD DVD player is for sale on the Target Web site for $299. Target does carry HD DVD software in its home video sections alongside Blu-ray Disc titles."

Target is only carrying BR players in store; they will continue to sell both HD and BR discs in store.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe it will be like recordable DVD. These days, any decent recordable DVD player (or computer DVD drive) will handle both DVD+R and DVD-R. Yet both formats continue to be sold. With the advent of hybrid BluRay/HD-DVD players, what difference does that format war really make anyway? When more people have players capable of playing both formats, they may not care which format they buy.

The day may even come when customers don't even *know* which format they're buying. (To anyone out there who's bought a recordable DVD disc: Did you really bother checking to see if it's DVD+R or DVD-R?)

10. Russ

Russ Vice Admiral Admiral

First your statements on Target and Blockbuster are false. Neither company is going exclusive. Target will continue to sell the HD DVD Xbox 360 add-on in store, as well as HD DVD movies in store. They're just adding a Blu-ray model to their inventory, which they currently do not have (they sell an HD DVD player online). So, the HD DVD add-on and movies will continue to be sold online and at the store, while currently they will only be offering a stand-alone online.

Blockbuster still rents both formats online, and HD DVD is available to rent in a select amount of stores. They're expanding their Blu-ray access to all their stores, while HD DVD stays in the current stores. They will expand HD DVD if the market/consumers demand it.

Now onto the Star Trek set. This is way too damn expensive, obviously. Now it's quite loaded and I'm sure it'll look and sound amazing, but the best possible price for this thing will probably be in the $150-175 range with the usual 20-30% discounts.

CBS makes the decision on which format to release on, not Paramount. Star Trek is licensed through CBS from Paramount.

So despite the fact that Paramount is a supporter of both formats, they really have no say in what format Star Trek is released on.

Having said that, I believe the prior plan was to release this set on HD DVD/DVD Combo for the holiday 2007 and then release the Blu-ray version sometime in 2008 (likely early). I don't think anything has changed.

11. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm with you. Yet another Paramount insult to the buying public. I'll just have to wait a couple years or so again. Hopefully this next round will have features.

But on the good side, it's saved me to have to endure the torture of buying any TNG and beyond dvds...

12. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That price is absurd, even for Paramount. Count me among those not buying. I like the new effects, but IMO they didn't go far enough. I can be happy with the sets I have now.

13. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

What the f*%#?!!!

$217?!! I thought CBS had kicked some intelligence into Paramounts @$$, since that's where it's brain happens to be. Apparently I was wrong. Dumba$$es!!!

I'm still buying this set anyway since I don't have the original DVD releases, but now I have to get a job to afford this because there is no way anyone in my family will get me this for Christmas.

Dumba$$es!!! Paramount, not my family.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

http://www.trektoday.com/news/260707_01.shtml

The 10-disc HD-DVD/DVD combo-disc set will include a number of never-before-seen features, including "Billy Blackburn's Treasure Chest: Rare Home Movies and Special Memories", a collection of Blackburn's private material amassed when he played Lieutenant Hadley in "A Piece of the Action" and various disguised aliens. An onscreen graphical interface will provide statistics and commentaries on seven popular episodes, and a 3D interactive Enterprise tour allows viewers to pilot a shuttlecraft around the famous starship.

The original score has been re-recorded in digital stereo audio, and the classic opening, "Space, the final frontier..." has been remastered as well. Interviews with cast members, an MMORPG preview (Star Trek Online preview) and several making-of documentaries will come packaged with the set as well.

The price will come down over time, and almost none of the big chains sell for RRP.

More info here!

15. Brannigan

Brannigan Commander Red Shirt

Ive never bought one, but are the full length episodes on itunes? if so, then I may not need this: a full season would be less than 30 bucks on itunes. Sure it wont have the extras, but then I hardly ever watch those anyway.

16. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I do. I actually prefer DVD-R, even though I have a recorder which supports both.

17. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

That's absolutely ridiculous! Not a single non fan will pay 200 bucks for one single season of TOS, or any other series.

And the fans? Most of them already own the normal DVD box sets, and since the majority of the fanbase (that's a guess on my part, I admit) is refusing the new FX anyway, who the hell Paramount thinks will pay this much money for ONE SINGLE SEASON of TOS-R? I wouldn't even take it as a gift! They must have gone completely nuts!

18. guardian

guardian Commodore

You are just plain wrong.

I am talking about the ORIGINAL STAR TREK.COM ANNOUNCEMENT.

NOT an ad from Amazon, 'TV shows on DVD' or anywhere else.

To repeat Star trek.com's original annoucement said $149.99 and they came out at $99.99

Hence, Star Trek.com's HD DVd announcement says 217.99 and it likely will be 33% less that that.

Lastly the HIGHEST I ever saw the original sets was $150 at a retail store.

19. benny

So where is this mythical announcement? All I can find on Star Trek.com is the following for S1.

Why don't you show some proof of this press release. And if you bothered at ALL to check out the links I put up, you'd see those are the official specs sent to Gord and Dave at TSoD from Paramount at the time of release. :)

20. NickintheATL

NickintheATL Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Has anyone stopped to think for a moment that HD-DVD (and Blu-Ray for that matter) are still relatively new formats? This is why Paramount set the price so high for one season of a TV series on a new format such as this. Most players are still in a mid-level price range for the average consumer, and a usual movie (in my local stores anyway), is between $20-$30. I don't think we should be complaining too much here, as Paramount has to cover the costs of making the sets in the first place.

And I know this is a combo-format release, but it still is realtively new.

Besides, I like the original effects better anyway... :P