Spoilers Star Trek: Prodigy General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Prodigy' started by The Overlord, Oct 20, 2019.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

4) The production team were fine with the Voyager badge, until Alex Kurtzman kicks down their door and carefully explaines how much money has been made from selling all the new badge designs they've merchandised since 2017.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    BillJ and Commander Troi like this.
  2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Gene would be proud.

Andru, Noname Given, BillJ and 6 others like this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean, lower decks doesn’t have a split delta *shrug*

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The design style is so simplified that maybe it does and we just aren't shown it, any more than we're shown the irises of the characters' eyes or their individual strands of hair. Look at how the rank pips are reduced to flat yellow dots with no 3-dimensional texture.

5. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you guys misunderstand Daniel's comment. It's not that all of the new Star Trek Universe shares the same design motif (they don't), it's the exact opposite. Each show seems to have it's own costume, insignia, ships, style, etc. Even when they don't need to.

They're redesigning everything for SNW, even if they could've just used the Discovery designs.

They're coming up with new Starfleet styles in Prodigy, even if they could've worked closer to adapt the Picard or Lower Decks (especially since the show will presumably be centered away from Starfleet).

It's the same tactic as was done (for the most part) before, it's just more visible because there's more shows.

F. King Daniel and eschaton like this.
  6. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what I think could be happening: The LDS and the PRO badges are the same. The VOY badge came before and after for some reason.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I wasn't addressing it. I was responding to Tuskin38.

And why wouldn't they? All those things are the creations of artists and designers. They're entitled to exercise their creativity; it's the whole reason they're in the business to begin with. A lot of art is about exploring variations on a common theme.

Commander Troi and Tim Thomason like this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, it is nice to see more creativity.

Commander Troi and Tim Thomason like this.
  9. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe the special Split Delta is meant as a special CommBadge for Holographic Assitants.

This way the crew can easily ID which person is a Hologram and and which is a regular flesh & blood person?

Commander Troi likes this.
  10. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do we know for sure they didn't switch some time between 2378 and 2380, then back some time between 2381 and 2385?

Also, the corn.

11. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    So Paramount+ is having an exclusive showing of the first episode of PRODIGY at NYCC next week.

Anybody going?
    (I'd wanted to but haven't got enough funds and still worried about big crowds)

12. Tim Thomason

We know that the Generations Badge was being used by the Titan crew and all those Class A Captains in 2380 and 2381. And then Picard shows it being used up into the early 2390s, so there appears to be no break in the use of the Generations Badge, even if there was another badge in use by certain ships in 2380-2381 and possibly a third one in 2383.

Until Riker showed up in the S1 finale, it was my assumption that they switched from the Generation Badge briefly to the Lower Decks Badge (perhaps as part of a failed uniform design), and would switch back in short order. Because the only other use of the Generations Badge in S1 was in a flashback and on a character who had been out of commission for some time. But the show has been pretty clear in the existence of two classes of officers with two separate uniform designs and two separate badges throughout Season Two.

13. Tuskin38

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  14. Tim Thomason

That's what Wormhole told me on the previous page. I'm just summarizing what we know:

15. Tuskin38

Ah 2390 (according to M-A) I thought it was in the 2380s.

16. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually yes this has happened. When he does so he generally tres to match up layout design, but it will be in his own style. See also someone like Perez, whose tight detail work shows significant more detail than any generations previous artist was ever able to produce. Both artist have done this many times over their 40 plus years in the biz.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Commander Troi likes this.
  17. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the warp effect isn't consistently portrayed in TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT. TNG used the warp effect from ILM. Which sweet Jesus even back in 87 I hated it. Legato who oversaw the first season of DS9's fx, produced a much sharper focused warp effect. That was typical of his work sharp detailed lines, and much darker shots. While Cury who then took over DS9 and was overseeing VOY approved a warp effect less obtrusive then ILM's but still much less detailed and sharp of Legato's (though Legato's style was used for almost all of DS9 run). And the effect in ENT was an increase of detail from what Curry oversaw on VOY, but still less sharp than DS9.

Sure its the stretch effect with a glowing flash, but it has been portrayed differently in each show even when shows had the same FX producer overseeing them.

18. Tuskin38

19. Tuskin38

Let's gooooo

I'm excited

Oof I forgot the spoiler tag (mod please add and pin it like the other show forums?)

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I've merged the main thread from Future of Trek with this, as I'd intended to do when the new forum was created. Hope you don't mind.

Tuskin38 likes this.