Spoilers Star Trek: Picard General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Tuskin38, Sep 28, 2019.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Michelle Hurd doesn't seem to think so. She seems enthusiastic to have a meaty role.

Random_Spock and Lord Garth like this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is their reasoning

3. The Old Mixer

Hers as well.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I fail to see the issue but I'm sure someone will still find offense in it.

Personally, the whole "conspiracy theorist loner" character to be sufficient enough of a trope to work with. I don't have to look far to find such characters, regardless of race. So, her being alone is kind of signifying that her ideas are outside of the mainstream as well.

5. Tuskin38

This is just creepy

SJGardner and cooleddie74 like this.
  6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    True genius would have been Deepfaking Data's face at the end so he didn't look so...well, look older. ;)

Tuskin38 likes this.
  7. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

According to people who have seen the ST day panel, SPS said the first 4 scripts are finished and they are like nothing he has seen on Trek before, or something to that extent.

That could be... great, or terrible. Or just hyperbole.

Eric1981 likes this.
  8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

All the above.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Loved by some; hated by others. Scripts will be new; complaints will be old.

10. Shadow_Engineer

Shadow_Engineer Ensign Red Shirt

Some could perceive it this way, however for a role such as Raffi, it is more than likely meant to point an uncomfortable lense at the combination of :

1. Mental Health on the whole, but especially within the Black Community or minority community because it is even more heavily stigmatized than in general American mainstream society (which is pretty poor to begin with). Also the fact that the higher the IQ of an individual goes, the higher by percentage the likely hood of neuroatypical design leading to mental health issues. It also deals with how a tragic event impacts those who aren't 'normals', but are truly neuro-physiologically different. in other words why some seem unphased, some mourn then rebound, some break, and some wander lost emotionally after great tragedy. It also makes us look at those of genius IQ who once they express a true mental health crisis are forever stigmatized. Even if they are a far better person than the average human they are shunned and pushed away. They are disregarded, belittled, and most automatically treated by someone as if they are broken and unreliable. All of which is beyond insult to someone who's IQ is closer to 200 than 100. Of course this kind of negative treatment then winds up giving the negligent, abusive, negative society exactly what it is 'expecting'. An isolated withdrawn unstable individual, that they can point their finger at and say "See we were right all along." This is the truth of the mental health system/perception in America and majority of the world. Those many who belittle others because they are Bi Polar, Autistic, or unspecified/super rare neuroatypical design like we are broken children, are actually denigrating someone who is a far better person than the abuser. Or we are allowed to run a muck and cause havoc because society cant understand that just because you are rich doesn't mean you aren't suffering from severe mental health issues. Interestingly enough, this lack of understanding, and negative/false perception of mental illness is also how power hungry mentally ill people get into power....

2. Drug Use even in an perceived ideal society. More importantly how those with mild mental health needs, can grow to severe impairments without a proper micro and macro social structure designed to actually give a sh*t and truly help in totality. So instead those suffering, self medicate with more mild 'drugs' to 'get by'. Some maintain, or are helped by the usage, some wind up going down the rabbit hole. This then ties back to #1 where when someone with mental health needs is shunned for whatever reason if they were ONCE a respected individual, what are they left with? If they have never been given real help their entire life, exactly what do expect is going to happen to them? A happy ending? Them just one time getting better? Sorry it doesn't work that way. It then also deals with the massive collateral damaged caused when these two things combine in someone who is a parent.

Just my dissection of the character and the reasons for them, within the structure of the story narrative. Especially since it is one of the major issues effecting society and all....

Filker and Eric1981 like this.
  11. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Picard dances around with the idea that Jean Luc is a privileged citizen in a society that has mostly eliminated poverty, sexism, and prejudice but still has the occasional bit of despite his blindness to such things. Raffi is at the very bottom of the totem pole because of her quest to do the right thing and find "The Truth."

Which is that the Federation is about Deep Space Nine level (really good but not perfect) and Picard is dealing with the fact he never quite realized it.

fireproof78 likes this.
  12. The Old Mixer

Lower Decks crossover!

13. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

People. Sir Patrick has forgotten about 95% of TNG (he himself said he did not re-watch any of it in preparation for PIC). If he says it’s something that has never been on Star Trek, I’d say it’s a safe bet that it most likely HAS been on Star Trek in some shape or form and he just doesn’t know/remember. :lol:

Llywela and antinoos like this.
  14. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I still enjoy RedLetterMedia, but I basically had to spend the entire evening saying to people "Disagreement is fine" when they pointed out how stupid RLM's arguments were.

15. Tuskin38

cooleddie74 likes this.
  16. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I can't believe it's been eight months since Picard premiered. On one level, it doesn't feel like it's been that long. On another, Covid-19 makes it feel like it was an eternity ago.

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    At least DSC is about to start again.

That was supposed to be good news. Stop looking at me that way while you click your sidearms.

Jayson1 and Lord Garth like this.
  18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Huh? Whatever do you mean? :whistle::whistle::whistle:

cooleddie74 likes this.
  19. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is Picard season 2 still supposed to shoot this autumn? Discovery will start shooting season 4 on November 2nd and Strange New Worlds starts in February. I know that's in Canada, but there are other shows starting up production in the US.

20. Tuskin38