Star Trek Picard from an in universe perspective

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Garak234, May 15, 2022.

1. Garak234

Garak234 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Since Lower Decks and as early as Voyager if not before wvidence has been aculmulating that there is a popular in universe Holideck drama similar to Roddenberry's star trek that uses similar episode names and even series names like VOY.

In universe it is also known that Picard's reputation took a beating after the Romulan crisis. Out of universe people have complained that Picard lacks a commanding presence and is not the "hero" from TNG. In universe it is likely that deconstructions of Starfleet legends is very popular. But TNG have a lesser degree of deconstruction then Picard. Star Trek Picard is also likely an anti Luddite allegory, this genre is also seen in the 32nd century with Owo's backstory. The in universe writer also appears to have a strange interest in Laris. While I said before that Picard is portrayed less herocly in this Holo Drama due to Romulan debacle, it is likely that every admiral and Starfleet character sooner or later gets similar treatment. It is unclear if the Star Trek franchise in universe(which might not be a separate franchise but many franchises) constitutes Documentary, Entertainment or historical drama. Probably there are enough franchises that have constituted every possible literary format. In Voyager to go back to the first point we saw the creation of a "star trek" franchise in detail with Tom Paris's Marquis mutiny drama and the Doctors synth rights novel. The term "star trek" could easily apply to a specific literary genre of adventures in the Stars or the Term "Star Trek" is just a name connected to one franchise. If it is the former then Starfleet literature might be called "a star trek". Concerning Laris the in universe writer might show case Laris as an example of the "insignificant things" missed in the In universe classic "TNG".

Timofnine and Charles Phipps like this.
  2. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel you're going a bit far in your attempt to ask, "If Picard was an in-universe, holo-drama, what would it mean?"

Especially with the fact Laris' ancestor was a Aegis Supervisor.

However, playing along, here's what I imagine the reviews would say:

"The treatment of Captain Picard as shaped by his tragic family backstory seems ridiculous. Jean Luc Picard was shaped by many events throughout his history including torture by the Borg, his stabbing at the academy, and the Stargazer tragedy with Jack Crusher. Too much emphasis is placed on his mother's suicide, which was one of two that year on Earth." - Jake Sisko, Anthem Author

"I really enjoyed the harsh and uncompromising look at the 21st century and Pre-Eugenics Wars Earth. We may have gotten rid of racism and bigotry in our time but it's important to know that such things were not always the case." - Anonymous Quark's Holodeck User.

"I don't get why Rios stayed. They should have developed that more." - J'eniffer Shan, Andorian

"Woah! Data was made by the same guy who made Khan. Does that mean they're brothers?" - Benjamin Bashir, Trill-Human Hybrid.