Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x10 - "The Last Generation"

Engage!

• Total voters
"Ahead, Warp Factor (fill in the blank)" seemed to be the standard Kirk warp order to close out an episode. Pike in "The Cage" came the closest to having a catchphrase with "Engage" but that was later used by Picard in TNG, the TNG Movies and PIC to infinitely greater effect.

TMP: Mr Sulu, Ahead Warp One
TWOK: Warp 5, Mr Sulu
TSFS: Warp speed!

I don't recall Kirk giving a warp command in TUC, the only speed/engine order he made was "Go to impulse power for Khitomer Orbit"

“I don’t believe in no-win scenarios”.
I used to have an admiral Kirk skin on Elite Force who said that over and over and over.

I always felt Riker acted a bit of a jerk earlier in the scene to Shelby, which may have ended up drowning out his actual good message to Shelby at the end, that when it comes to the crew he plays it safe. Shelby obviously never listened to the moral of this. She ended up recklessly chain linking the fleet and ended up getting herself killed.
As people age, they often forget the lessons of the past, set in their ways, thinking they know better. Shelby fell into this narcissistic trap that's as old as the human species itself.

Age ≠ wisdom.

Shelby: All you know how to do is play it safe. I suppose that's why someone like you sits in the shadow of a great man for as long as you have, passing up one command after another. Proceed to deck eight.

Riker: When it comes to this ship and this crew, you're damned right I play it safe.

I always felt Riker acted a bit of a jerk earlier in the scene to Shelby, which may have ended up drowning out his actual good message to Shelby at the end, that when it comes to the crew he plays it safe. Shelby obviously never listened to the moral of this.

A fairly important part of "Best of Both Worlds, Part II" was Shelby and Riker both putting aside their differences and burying the hatchet. Shelby did learn to remember to not take unnecessary risks, and Riker learned to remember that sometimes you do need to take a risk.

She ended up recklessly chain linking the fleet and ended up getting herself killed.

We have no idea if she was the person who made that decision or not, and we have no idea on what basis that decision was made. It was a bad choice, but you're reading a lot into it that is not present in the text.

Looking back now, someone who doesn't know any better might think that Matalas wrote BOBW and planned the seeds for all this, including Shelby's poetic justice end,

Assuming that it was Shelby and not a Changeling: Nothing about Shelby's death was poetic justice. She didn't deserve to die just because she was mean to Riker once thirty years ago, or was part of an admiralty that made a bad choice in good faith. That's not any kind of justice, poetic or otherwise.

Back