Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x09 - "Võx"

Engage!

• Total voters
That was very moving. We all knew what was in Bay 12 slash that the D would be back at some point (I like the idea that Geordi would just be working on this in his garage over the last 20 years, like 9-to-5 suburban dad would work on a mid-70s Fort Cortina MKIII on Sundays), and it was still poignant to watch the lights slowly come on and the crew to take the bridge (lots of nice wide shots where you could see all of them in frame).

Also, RIP Shaw (and Shelby).

I absolutely love that the saucer still showed the signs of being "hot dropped" on the surface of Veridian III. They could have easily shown it looking 100% pristine but Geordi had clearly put off the pressure washing for another day.

And I will gladly take theses kinda memberries any time.

Next up, SNW/TOS memberries. :techman:
To me at least, SNW did their references and integrations in such a more thoughtful and interesting way.

And it's weird because I'm definitely more of a TNG fan than a TOS fan, so this season should work on me more than SNW S1, but I vastly enjoyed SNW more.

Well it’s the Borg. It’s like we can never escape them. I can help but feel let down at the moment.
Same. It's as bad as I thought when I first heard rumors this big bad was going to be a Borg thing and I was hoping it wasn't--this episode literally confirmed my fears. This episode put someone I was watching with just now more or less off Trek despite her liking the older TOS episodes. Here it's all grimdark horror story violence. She pointed out this was even worse than the Mandalorian, which is saying a lot.

And even me, a long time Trekkie for all of Trek's incarnations (except Lower Decks) can't help seeing plotholes big enough to fly a starship through. So Locutus had extra special DNA to control other drones? Funny because that might've been really useful for Picard to have to control Borg he was fighting in practically every encounter with them after BOBW, particularly First Contact. Ok so it was a seed? How the hell did the Borg know that Locutus would escape and more importantly how could they have predicted him reproducing? The Borg knew everything Picard knew, which as of the time of his assimilation was an old guy married to his job with literally no realistic romantic/family prospects. That's also assuming Picard would never use even 21st century level birth control here. This plan falls apart unless the Borg literally know the future.

The "catch" that only younger than 25 year old human (or human equivalent apparently) can be assimilated by this DNA is so nonsensical I don't even know where to begin. I guess the Borg line up their battle plans with real world tv show revivals.

So Locutus is so extra special that only he got this DNA, even though it makes more sense to put this special DNA into younger drones who escape like B'elanna, Seven, etc. (And remember there's like a whole community of ex-Borg out there so the Borg should've put this DNA in all of them because the chances of them reproducing was a hell of a lot higher than Picard's). Oh wait what? This DNA can actually be just implanted onto people via transport? I thought Picard's DNA was the controller signal? But now putting it into transporter victims suddenly makes them the receiver signal? This "logic" is all falling apart. So actually the Borg could've just infiltrated Starfleet and beamed their special DNA into everyone decades ago. Why didn't they? Even M'Benga was reprogramming transporters way back when. How lucky for them that Section 31 conveniently made a bunch of super-changelings that are better at evading detection that JUST SO happen to also decide to team up with the Borg and help by impersonating transporter operators. The amount of contrived incidents keep piling on.

I guess Vadic's boss is irrelevant even though he must be a Borg who apparently doesn't act or talk like any Borg before or since, including the Borg seen in this episode.

Shelby's death is the sort of "dying like a punk" scene that Sam Jackson insisted be avoided for Mace Windu over at that other star franchise.

Let's not even get into the absurdity of a ship that's meant to be crewed by hundreds being crewed by a total of 7, all on the bridge, into combat against a Borg armada. Even Scotty noted when the 1701, crewed by a handful in Search for Spock, met just one Klingon ship and was like "I didn't think I'd be taking her into combat, you know!"

I feel sorry for all the new Trek actors who signed up for Picard thinking this was going to lead to a future of continuing spinoffs etc. Isa Briones and Evan Evagora are extraordinarily lucky their characters survived what can only be described as the "Picard show new character bloodbath". I'd say Michelle Hurd too but there's still one episode left.

I’m giving this episode a 10 because of the ending but once again the ghost of the original cast is hanging over this season like a cloud and what is being done for those characters is bothering me.
Then don't give it a 10. The episode isn't perfect.

Do people not understand ratings? Guess it's an emotional thing. A little critical thinking never hurt though.

Not that it changes my enjoyment of Picard any, but...
And that’s fine. My point though is this isn’t really a “series” anymore. It’s almost like each season should be considered more of an anthology for Short Treks than an actual TV show.
This is why, overall, I still like Discovery better than Picard.

Having said that, it still doesn't take away from seeing the Enterprise-D again. I've only ever known TOS to be an old show, before my time. So whenever we saw the original Enterprise again (whenever we did), it never had the same effect on me as seeing the Enterprise-D again does. Something I didn't ever quite realize until now. Since I actually do remember when TNG was a new show airing new episodes.

Last edited:
There must have been a multitude of Borg ships associated with the VOYAGER Queen scattered all over the Delta Quadrant when Janeway blew up the transwarp hub.
One could assume they eventually regathered and formed a separate collective from the one Jurarti took over.

Absolute Nonsense. Fanfiction-level shit. It's also the most I've enjoyed this season up until now.

I've really leaned into the plot making no sense, and I'm just here for the vibes now, which are exquisite.

Are the Changelings even gonna be in the finale? Are they gonna be quietly forgotten about? Can a crew of seven people, most of whom haven't even been in Starfleet in a long time actually make a Galaxy-class starship work? I don't think it really matters anymore either way. This is top-shelf "turn off your brain" entertainment.

I probably shouldn't be a voice of negativity, but I disliked this episode. The culmination of the Jack storyline was... meh. It made Deanna Troi look terrible. And it just being the Borg... ZZZZZ. I know it's pretty near impossible to meet expectations, but I think the mystery being dragged out for so long really chilled any kind of reaction I could have.

Everyone over 25 who serves on a starship is dead now? Let's hope all the DS9, Voyager, Lower Decks, and Prodigy alumni were planetside.

Bringing back Shelby just to kill her off, if that's what happened... I know they did it with Ro, but it didn't feel cheap to me like this did. At least we got the CANONized first name.

I didn't care all that much for Shaw at the beginning, but now I feel disappointment that he was also killed off.

Some of the Enterprise-D stuff was all right (mostly seeing the ship itself and Majel Barret's voice), but I felt mostly boredom looking at the bridge set. It was nice looking, I guess.

That would be my guess - when they're talking about The Borg, they mean original flavor Borg, not Queen Agnes and her crew.
The way it's phrased is just odd. lol

I'd say Michelle Hurd too but there's still one episode left.
I assume Raffi and Seven are set up to have an happy ending, and that they somehow saved Shaw. The episode explicitly did not show what happened to them. lol

First thing I thought. WTF was S2 even about then? And all the smart asses fixing to be smart-assy with some glib reply can just shut up, because I don't care if you didn't like it. It still happened. It was a story they told just last year.

Oy, this goddamned show. Why?

"That weired shit on the Stargazer? The real Borg are still out there"

Jurati is a weired offshoot collective/co-operative started in the med 21st Century, i wouldn't consider them "Borg" the actual Borg are still out there and I imagine if they ever meet there will be fisticuffs. They pre-date Jurati by several hundred years as the Vaadwaur encountered them in the 1400's.

Back