Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x03 - "Seventeen Seconds"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Mar 1, 2023.

?

Engage!

1. 10 - Excellent!

41.8%
  2. 9

29.7%
  3. 8

13.3%
  4. 7

8.4%
  5. 6

1.5%
  6. 5

2.3%
  7. 4

1.1%
  8. 3

0.4%
  9. 2

0.4%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

1.1%
  1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm not. I don't even know you. I just said "everyone who falls under that category". If that's not you, that's not you. But, if it is, then you know what I said.

That's as far as I want to go with this. We're both fans of PIC Season 3. I happen to prefer PIC Season 3 over DSC and the first two seasons of PIC myself. So what are we actually really arguing about? The only difference I see is that you place a large gap between them and I place a small gap. But that just comes down to personal preference. Beyond that, what does it matter?

EDITED TO ADD: And let's not forget I did you a favor. How many people here would know about the actual contents of the link you posted, if I hadn't told them what specifically was in it? They were dead-set against even listening to it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    Turtletrekker and fireproof78 like this.
  2. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Frasier actually got too uncomfortable for me to watch at some points. It’s how these things work. I do find Friends the most obvious option — Ross is an introverted possibly autistic guy, whose first wife — also his first serious girlfriend - whilst pregnant, went off with another woman. He may have a few trust issues. Chandler has a relatively sex-obsessed psychiatrist mother, who split up with his father — leading Chandler to develop attention seeking and humour habits as a defence — who became a gay Las Vegas Drag Queen. Is it any wonder he has quite a few hang ups around his own sexuality? Etc etc. (The others all have flaws too, just maybe not quite as big and obvious, apart from Monica, who has hers listed as part of the show)
    The stuff the characters are criticised are features not bugs, and it’s how such things used to (sometimes still) work. They’re totally imperfect, but we look for that glimmer so we can root for them to overcome their perfection. They are surface fine, but broken underneath it all, and we want them to win somehow. (Usually Romantically)

Trek is the other way round, because they are dealing theoretically with ‘out there’ stuff. They’re the right stuff, and we wait to be reminded that some part of them is just like us, so we can aspire. The problem is, many modern shows mix up the understandings — we have surface flawed characters, who turn out to be perfect.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's exactly what I still see.

Danja likes this.
  4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just realized this is the first live action Klingon we've seen since Discovery and it looked perfect but part of me wanted to see Worf look like a KlingOrc. :)

5. RuleofAcuisition17

RuleofAcuisition17 Commander Red Shirt

I think we're just pretending the Klingorcs never existed in the first place.

kkt and Enterprise1701 like this.
  6. Caeruleus

Caeruleus Commander Red Shirt

Whatever Picard became, it seemed a little unprofessional of Riker to publicly remove him from the bridge in front of the young officers. He could have called him to the ready room and told him that and not in front of everyone. Humiliating.

But I believe that Terry Matalas has prepared some plot twist and that there is a solid reason for Riker's arrogant and cruel behavior. I think we'll find out what's going on soon.

7. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Also: if you look very closely, you will kinda
    see Odo
    this week! (how did you miss that XD)

Ar-Pharazon and Lord Garth like this.
  8. RuleofAcuisition17

I still would find it a little disrespectful recasting the character.

But would accept Remy Auberjoinis.

kkt, Ar-Pharazon, Danja and 1 other person like this.
  9. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank you so much for doing that so we don't have to, Lord Garth. Super appreciate it!

Poor Elnor.

It's helpful for me to see this baldly articulated. They started from the premise that Picard having a biological son he didn't know about was the top priority and reverse engineered it.

'Picard's secret son' isn't in even my top hundred things I'd like to see explored post-TNG. Whereas some of the things that they had to bend or break to make it happen are things that I care about a lot.

But at the end of the day Matalas is the one with the keys. And if I were in charge... I'd probably have jettisoned things other people love as collateral too. C'est la vie.

Commander Troi, drt, Anduinel and 3 others like this.
  10. RuleofAcuisition17

So throw some of those ideas out. I'd like to see some. I know my original version of Picard in my head is radically different from what we got.

Danja likes this.
  11. Caeruleus

Caeruleus Commander Red Shirt

Amazing rate

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

More's the pity.
    Indeed. My version of Picard probably wouldn't exist.

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

that doesn't answer my question. How is that not Trek?

NCC-73515 and fireproof78 like this.
  14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Doctor in Voyager pulled the same manoeuvre Riker had Picard do in Episode 3
    shot a torpedo between two ships then detonated it with a phaser
    He claimed the manoeuvre came from a Romulan

15. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s an interesting insight about how a photon torpedo works.
    It implies that the torpedo detonates instantly at even the slightest touch of a particle reliably.

Phasers are basically high energy particle cannons, an intense stream of quantum projectiles.
    A phaser shot would vaporize every component of the torpedo very quickly, breaking down the separation of matter and antimatter in the warhead.
    but the phaser would also vaporize the matter and antimatter.
    So anyone with a physics background who could say what would happen faster IRL?
    The particle annihilation of m/a particles mixing or everything being vaporized.
    from my understanding the antimatter requires it’s exact counterpart (I believe they use antideuterim and deuterium?) to annihilate.
    So, contact with the phaser particles would not do it.

16. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Tuvok really did this first.

In "RESOLUTIONS", he detonated a container of antimatter between the Vudiian ships with a torpedo. It had the exact same effect as the other uses with a phaser.

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

The bit picker in me: This makes even less sense to me.
    A container of antimatter is not an explosive device.
    You only get annihilation when you bring in the matching non antimatter in contact.
    But a photon torpedo already is a m/a bomb with maybe a little bit of kinetic energy mixed in.
    The torpedo would just destroy the container and disperse the antimatter or destroy it outright.

I’ll stop now

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  18. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Except there is precedence in the franchise for a container of antimatter being detonated having a huge blast radius.

In TOS' "OBSESSION", Kirk detonated an ounce of antimatter with a bomb attached to the container to kill the cloud vampire. That explosion was massive.

19. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

But in that case you have the matter of the container to react with the antimatter.

20. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Wouldn't the casing of the torpedo count as matter?

SJGardner and Farscape One like this.