Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x03 - "Seventeen Seconds"

Engage!

• Total voters
Haha. And what views are you accusing me of having?
I'm not. I don't even know you. I just said "everyone who falls under that category". If that's not you, that's not you. But, if it is, then you know what I said.

That's as far as I want to go with this. We're both fans of PIC Season 3. I happen to prefer PIC Season 3 over DSC and the first two seasons of PIC myself. So what are we actually really arguing about? The only difference I see is that you place a large gap between them and I place a small gap. But that just comes down to personal preference. Beyond that, what does it matter?

EDITED TO ADD: And let's not forget I did you a favor. How many people here would know about the actual contents of the link you posted, if I hadn't told them what specifically was in it? They were dead-set against even listening to it.

Last edited:
The same can be said for Frasier (Hello, Capt. Bateson!) and Seinfeld.

Exactly. Frasier actually got too uncomfortable for me to watch at some points. It’s how these things work. I do find Friends the most obvious option — Ross is an introverted possibly autistic guy, whose first wife — also his first serious girlfriend - whilst pregnant, went off with another woman. He may have a few trust issues. Chandler has a relatively sex-obsessed psychiatrist mother, who split up with his father — leading Chandler to develop attention seeking and humour habits as a defence — who became a gay Las Vegas Drag Queen. Is it any wonder he has quite a few hang ups around his own sexuality? Etc etc. (The others all have flaws too, just maybe not quite as big and obvious, apart from Monica, who has hers listed as part of the show)
The stuff the characters are criticised are features not bugs, and it’s how such things used to (sometimes still) work. They’re totally imperfect, but we look for that glimmer so we can root for them to overcome their perfection. They are surface fine, but broken underneath it all, and we want them to win somehow. (Usually Romantically)

Trek is the other way round, because they are dealing theoretically with ‘out there’ stuff. They’re the right stuff, and we wait to be reminded that some part of them is just like us, so we can aspire. The problem is, many modern shows mix up the understandings — we have surface flawed characters, who turn out to be perfect.

Trek is the other way round, because they are dealing theoretically with ‘out there’ stuff. They’re the right stuff, and we wait to be reminded that some part of them is just like us, so we can aspire
That's exactly what I still see.

I've just realized this is the first live action Klingon we've seen since Discovery and it looked perfect but part of me wanted to see Worf look like a KlingOrc. :)

Whatever Picard became, it seemed a little unprofessional of Riker to publicly remove him from the bridge in front of the young officers. He could have called him to the ready room and told him that and not in front of everyone. Humiliating.

But I believe that Terry Matalas has prepared some plot twist and that there is a solid reason for Riker's arrogant and cruel behavior. I think we'll find out what's going on soon.

16. Terry took Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes out to launch and said that for "Seven Seconds", he wanted to do Crimson Tide, referring to these characters disagreeing on the Titan bridge. He thought that never happened on TNG.

17. Terry says it was a collaboration having the back-and-forth between him and the actors. He has a different perspective as a fan and vice-versa.

18. Terry had a feeling Worf and Raffi would "have great chemistry." He wanted to go back to Raffi working for Starfleet Intelligence. "That's an interesting idea to go back and explore." "The idea of playing good-cop/bad-cop with her being bad-cop, if we could pull that off with Worf, it would be really satisfying. Worf is the straight-man in that duo. We just felt it could work."

19. Regarding Worf, Terry says, "You want to do something new. It's been 20 years. But you don't want the character to change too much." Regarding the pacifist line in the trailer, "We just thought people would laugh!"

20. On Worf's white hair, Terry says, "We went Steve Martin and called it a day. He looks great!"

21. On bringing back the Dominion, Terry says, "The Changelings are incredible villains." "I really did like the Conspiracy Bugs. The problem is they kill their hosts. You'd never be able to have two of them. You'd never be able to have the paranoid thriller. And then the Changelings are just phenomenal and the backstory of how that ended, I don't want to give it away, but the end of the Dominion War is really messy. It gave you so much drama."

22. On what it's like watching Johathan Frakes direct himself, "Frakes his dauntless! He's tremendously energetic." "He loves the process! He loves people. He's a people-pleaser." "Every aspect of this is joyful for him. I don't know how he does it." "He manages to just be able to go back-and-forth with ease." "He's also ego-less." "I think the next episode, 304, is the best one he's done." "If you see how it's cut, it's very intricate. He didn't miss a single beat."
Also: if you look very closely, you will kinda
see Odo
this week! (how did you miss that XD)

Thank you so much for doing that so we don't have to, Lord Garth. Super appreciate it!

6. Terry said, "What's the last unexplored relationship in the life of Jean-Luc Picard? His son. It felt like [the series] had done a daughter with Soji.
Poor Elnor.

How can we have a son that's reasonable?" "You go to Vash, you go to all these people, but the goal was it was a Next Generation reunion. And so in the back of your head, you go: Beverly. But how can that make sense?" Terry went over to Patrick Stewart's house to talk about it and didn't mention his idea about Beverly. He wasn't going to bring it up. Then Patrick Stewart said, "What if it was Beverly?" Terry says, "We never thought he would go there!" Terry told Patrick, "I have to figure out how that would make sense for both of those characters."

It's helpful for me to see this baldly articulated. They started from the premise that Picard having a biological son he didn't know about was the top priority and reverse engineered it.

'Picard's secret son' isn't in even my top hundred things I'd like to see explored post-TNG. Whereas some of the things that they had to bend or break to make it happen are things that I care about a lot.

But at the end of the day Matalas is the one with the keys. And if I were in charge... I'd probably have jettisoned things other people love as collateral too. C'est la vie.

'Picard's secret son' isn't in even my top hundred things I'd like to see explored post-TNG. Whereas some of the things that they had to bend or break to make it happen are things that I care about a lot.

But at the end of the day Matalas is the one with the keys. And if I were in charge... I'd probably have jettisoned things other people love as collateral too. C'est la vie.

So throw some of those ideas out. I'd like to see some. I know my original version of Picard in my head is radically different from what we got.

The Doctor in Voyager pulled the same manoeuvre Riker had Picard do in Episode 3
shot a torpedo between two ships then detonated it with a phaser
He claimed the manoeuvre came from a Romulan

The Doctor in Voyager pulled the same manoeuvre Riker had Picard do in Episode 3
It’s an interesting insight about how a photon torpedo works.
It implies that the torpedo detonates instantly at even the slightest touch of a particle reliably.

Phasers are basically high energy particle cannons, an intense stream of quantum projectiles.
A phaser shot would vaporize every component of the torpedo very quickly, breaking down the separation of matter and antimatter in the warhead.
but the phaser would also vaporize the matter and antimatter.
So anyone with a physics background who could say what would happen faster IRL?
The particle annihilation of m/a particles mixing or everything being vaporized.
from my understanding the antimatter requires it’s exact counterpart (I believe they use antideuterim and deuterium?) to annihilate.
So, contact with the phaser particles would not do it.

Tuvok really did this first.

In "RESOLUTIONS", he detonated a container of antimatter between the Vudiian ships with a torpedo. It had the exact same effect as the other uses with a phaser.

Tuvok really did this first.

In "RESOLUTIONS", he detonated a container of antimatter between the Vudiian ships with a torpedo. It had the exact same effect as the other uses with a phaser.
The bit picker in me: This makes even less sense to me.
A container of antimatter is not an explosive device.
You only get annihilation when you bring in the matching non antimatter in contact.
But a photon torpedo already is a m/a bomb with maybe a little bit of kinetic energy mixed in.
The torpedo would just destroy the container and disperse the antimatter or destroy it outright.

I’ll stop now

The bit picker in me: This makes even less sense to me.
A container of antimatter is not an explosive device.
You only get annihilation when you bring in the matching non antimatter in contact.
But a photon torpedo already is a m/a bomb with maybe a little bit of kinetic energy mixed in.
The torpedo would just destroy the container and disperse the antimatter or destroy it outright.

I’ll stop now

Except there is precedence in the franchise for a container of antimatter being detonated having a huge blast radius.

In TOS' "OBSESSION", Kirk detonated an ounce of antimatter with a bomb attached to the container to kill the cloud vampire. That explosion was massive.

Except there is precedence in the franchise for a container of antimatter being detonated having a huge blast radius.

In TOS' "OBSESSION", Kirk detonated an ounce of antimatter with a bomb attached to the container to kill the cloud vampire. That explosion was massive.
But in that case you have the matter of the container to react with the antimatter.

Back