Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x01 - "The Next Generation"

Engage!

• Total voters
We need a Star Trek: Picard misconception bingo sheet.

Saw someone on Twitter ranting about the Borg virus thing in BOBW and how it’s been retconned and how it ruined the episode and the writers of TNG should be brought back to sort it all.

Yeah, because the previous guard were never guilty of inserting previously unseen storylines into old TNG episodes…

Shaw was disresectful BEFORE Picard and Riker tried to change course. One, he did not greet them, which is not that out of the ordinary and Two, He starts dinner before the time arranged with a backhanded remark, insults the wine, Riker's drink of choice and Rikers' musical taste. He then goes on belittling their world/galaxy/reality saving exploits. He's a douche.

Fair points. But maybe when Shaw heard Riker and Picard were en route to the Titan, he checked it with Starfleet and got confirmation they had no business being there. He had no idea why they were on his ship so he effected a direct confrontation as quickly as possible to attempt to elicit their intent. His obnoxious manner just escalated when he learned of the plan. I just can't believe a captain would be that overtly insulting without a good reason.

Fair points. But maybe when Shaw heard Riker and Picard were en route to the Titan, he checked it with Starfleet and got confirmation they had no business being there. He had no idea why they were on his ship so he effected a direct confrontation as quickly as possible to attempt to elicit their intent. His obnoxious manner just escalated when he learned of the plan. I just can't believe a captain would be that overtly insulting without a good reason.

Why the hell did Shaw go to sleep for 15 hours, moments after meeting two sneaky conmen?

Is it possible Shaw wanted them to steal the ship?

Saw someone on Twitter ranting about the Borg virus thing in BOBW and how it’s been retconned and how it ruined the episode and the writers of TNG should be brought back to sort it all.

Yeah, because the previous guard were never guilty of inserting previously unseen storylines into old TNG episodes…

Heck, just last season we found out that Guinan was apparently puking her guts out off-screen in "Yesterday's Enterprise" and "Time's Arrow." Also, "Flashback." Not really "Trials and Tribble-ations," unless you squint.

(Let's not mention TATV, lest I have to invoke my rule that I'll know a Trek show is really good when people don't defend its decisions by citing the worst episodes that everyone hates as precedent.)

The phaser Crusher Jr. #2 was using is a hybrid of the TOS Phaser and ST5/6 Assault Phaser
https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1627417727357911040

And that's definitely a TOS phaser, not the retconned SNW version, because why would it be?

Why the hell did Shaw go to sleep for 15 hours, moments after meeting two sneaky conmen?

That aspect is really weird. The man's apparently raised delegating to an art-form.

We need a Star Trek: Picard misconception bingo sheet.

But there was *never* a ‘Borg virus thing’ in ‘Best of Both World’s’. The only virus that I could think of was potentially Picard’s ‘sleep’ command which technically was not a virus, but a functional instruction.

Why did this Borg computer virus specifically add a ‘3’ on to everything it infected too, which would lead to specific coordinates when the numbers are all added up in this weeks particular episode, almost like it was a long baited trap? Why were these coordinates and the virus important to this particular episode in hindsight after all of these years, with an adversary waiting to strike from her Shriek at the allotted time and place? Was the virus of Borg Collective origin? Perhaps someone with a level of independence who could communicate externally from within the Collective (from Unimatrix Zero?), someone who had been assimilated previous to BOBW’s sent the virus from the cube if so? But they would have needed temporal intuition or a long game plan to know that this seed would have ‘butterfly wing flutters’ which would ripple forward in time leading to Picard being at these coordinates at just the right point in time in the 25th century.

Shaw was p*ssed, he was for the whole meal. He needed to sleep the booze off.

But there was *never* a ‘Borg virus thing’ in ‘Best of Both World’s’. The only virus that I could think of was potentially Picard’s ‘sleep’ command which technically was not a virus, but a functional instruction.

Why did this Borg computer virus specifically add a ‘3’ on to everything it infected too, which would lead to specific coordinates when the numbers are all added up in this weeks particular episode, almost like it was a long baited trap? Why were these coordinates and the virus important to this particular episode in hindsight after all of these years, with an adversary waiting to strike from her Shriek at the allotted time and place? Was the virus of Borg Collective origin? Perhaps someone with a level of independence who could communicate externally from within the Collective (from Unimatrix Zero?), someone who had been assimilated previous to BOBW’s sent the virus from the cube if so? But they would have needed temporal intuition or a long game plan to know that this seed would have ‘butterfly wing flutters’ which would ripple forward in time leading to Picard being at these coordinates at just the right point in time in the 25th century.

Shaw was p*ssed, he was for the whole meal. He needed to sleep the booze off.

That wasn’t my point. TATV inserted a daft holodeck subplot into “The Pegasus”. “Flashback” inserted Tuvok and a weird virus into TUC. This is nothing new for Star Trek.

At least this Borg virus subplot is somewhat relevant to the original plot of BOBW.

On the other hand, someone mentioned somewhere that referencing “Cause and Effect” and the significance of 3 in that episode would have been a better reference, which I suppose is true.

Closer look at one of the bridge crew. New species as far as I can tell.
https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1627355334389161986
i3MsqaF.jpg
Shades of Cheetara .. She's PICARD"S take on an STO Caitian.
:biggrin:

Nope. Not even close. Timeline doesn't add up.

Yes, wouldn't it be nice if Trek fans had that power. They don't.
But Terry Matalas is a Trek fan, and he has the power. JJ Abrams also had the power, but I know that he was/is not a Trek fan. Abrams was a Wars fan. If you want an example of what happens when a none fan writes their own fan fic about a franchise that they know nothing about… then check my sig link below. Or a JJ Abrams Trek movie. Don’t get me wrong, JJ made some good action films based on Star Trek… he may even be a fan now after becoming absorbed in the movie franchise. :)

But Terry Matalas is a Trek fan, and he has the power. JJ Abrams also had the power, but I know that he was/is not a Trek fan. Abrams was a Wars fan. If you want an example of what happens when a none fan writes their own fan fic about a franchise that they know nothing about… then check my sig link below. Or a JJ Abrams Trek movie. Don’t get me wrong, JJ made some good action films based on Star Trek… he may even be a fan now after becoming absorbed in the movie franchise. :)
He is a fan now. He made some of the best Trek films based on TOS and updated for the 21st century.

Also, fan status means jack shit. Nicholas Meyer wasn't a fan either.

Back