Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 1x04 - "Absolute Candor"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Commander Richard, Feb 11, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - An honorable episode.

12.5%
  2. 9

23.8%
  3. 8

32.7%
  4. 7

17.4%
  5. 6

4.6%
  6. 5

4.3%
  7. 4

1.4%
  8. 3

1.1%
  9. 2

1.1%
  10. 1 - The writers should commit seppuku.

1.1%
  1. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved the episode. Great script by Chabon.

The Spanish weapons officer hologram was funny.

The original Romulan BoP was super cool.

Soji left earth on starship "Ellison". Nice tribute to the late great writer by Chabon.

I called this one last week.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    ITDUDE likes this.
  2. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, we already had the Rizzo warning Narek to move this thing along or she will take matters into her own hands, and here she was doing it again. We had that warning already. It is time to move it forward. All of us are Rizzo at this point. Move it along, Narek.

Crewman6 likes this.
  3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm liking this series. A lot.

Others are complaining about the pace (which I find ironic, given that the source material of TNG is deathly dull to me these days), but I find I am really enjoying that this show is taking its time to set things up and be more meditative in its approach. I like the Kelvin films and DSC a lot, but all Star Trek since 2009 has moved at that same break-neck speed (slice-neck speed maybe?). This is a much-welcome contrast. I love it, and I feel like I'm reading a long, well-crafted novel.

A few observations / comments about "Absolute Candor"

• I hope this whole thing about Soji being "The Destroyer" doesn't mean we have yet another "save the multiverse" or "all sentient life" plot developing.
    • Seeing a TOS era Romulan BOP was pretty awesome
    • I like how many of the episodes flash back to what happened 14 years prior and are giving us more details about those days.
    • Picard has really pissed a lot of people off since Nemesis. He's been chewed out by former asociates in nearly every episode. I love it.
    • This episode had some really good, witty dialogue. Very well-crafted.
    • Fans have been clamoring for a long time for a deeper-dive into the Romulans. PIC is certainly delivering on that, and with considerable nuance.
    • Like others have said, I find the stuff on the Borg Cube tedious. The scruffy Romulan bad guy is scuzzy. Not a fan.
    • I like how they found a way to keep the Chateau setting active. I suppose some of this was for practical/cost measures, but it's such a beautiful setting that I welcome it.
    • I don't think I'm going to tire of the Emergency Hologram gag. Brilliant.
    • 7 of 9 is back. I'm interested to see how she will fit in.
    • Man, what a gorgeous looking show.
    • I love the heavy focus on character over plot. Again, it's a contrast that is working for me right now.
    Anyway, this show has been extremely consistent so far. This was a very nice hour of Star Trek and kept me thoroughly entertained throughout. 8/10

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

That defence shield. Would 1-2-3-4-5-6 open it I wonder?

Gonzo, Danja and ITDUDE like this.
  5. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I also watched the Bruins on TV38. Star Trek reruns on WLVI TV56

Lord Garth and Gov Kodos like this.
  6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    WGBH for Doctor Who, good times.

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

This episode was a blast. It was nice to look into aspects of Romulan culture that we didn't know about before. And Rizzo is deliciously evil.

Also, I was surprised by the ending because I always skip past the opening credits!

Kor

Vger23, Blooded, Gonzo and 4 others like this.
  8. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

I don't miss the pledge drives where Doctor Who was interrupted by begging for pleas for fans of DW to help pay for all the other PBS programming.

Danja likes this.
  9. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I love me some slow burn when executed properly, and except for a hint of corniness in how Picard recruited Elnor (so tempted to say Elmo), this what looks to be the final "setup" episode was rich and enjoyable, although next week's looks like one to lose your head over! Looking forward to the next chapter in this case beats binging...

Vger23, Gonzo, ITDUDE and 1 other person like this.
  10. Eric1981

Eric1981 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think I like every character so far except Rios. He's just not believable as a "bad ass" captain.

11. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

And Ron Moore's 'Battlestar Galactica.' They're particularly freaked out about the Humanoid Cylons and started calling them 'The Destroyer'....

Alan Roi likes this.
  12. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

More like a washed out and psychologically damaged captain who runs the ship using his multiple holograms...

Eric1981, Danja, ITDUDE and 5 others like this.
  13. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nonesense. Early Uhura. Roxanna Troi. Dax.

I mean, you aren't going to get a lot of that on the bridge, I will concede that.

14. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*noe

15. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is why the show isn't clicking. There's nothing thematically or emotionally connected with Picard's frustration over the rescue operation and him venturing out into space to find Data's daughter.

16. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Blooded, SJGardner and Crewman6 like this.
  17. Reyman

Reyman Commander Red Shirt

That was an enjoyable episode, but it felt more like Star Wars than Star Trek.

18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Good point! I had forgotten that Seven was part of the Collective during the time Picard was Locutus of Borg. They'd have all been aware of one another on one level or another even if Seven was on the other side of the galaxy.

Eric1981 and Gilora like this.
  19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I don’t think so. Annika would have just been a drone back when he was Locutus. She would know him from that, but not vice versa

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Hence my original point about her popularity after returning from the Delta Quadrant. It's the easiest answer. Most of Starfleet as well as the population of Earth probably got to see pictures and holofootage of Seven after Voyager got home.

SJGardner likes this.