Star trek panels.... Are they well thought through?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Urge, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Hence, the iPad.

2. Good

Good Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]
    Hey ... That looks familiar.

Oh yeah.

[​IMG]

3. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Another thing is that in a military situation, a mouse is suicide. think of it, you're on a US Navy ship and the CO gives an order to fire on an Al Qaeda vessel. What if the mouse stuck? You would need immediate access to the computer in order to do this. Mice only are good for home/office applications, they fail in do-or-die scenarios.

4. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Which is why on ships they use trackballs, you know, what you get when you turn a mouse over. Not exactly a huge leap in difference there. Hell, my dad uses a trackball on his computer. I don't know why, he doesn't know what they use in a ship's command center, he just does.

5. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

My first experience with a trackball was Missile Command. Rather painful and a bitch to aim precisely. I do much better with a mouse, but then I'm not on a ship taking fire.

6. dgguy2006

dgguy2006 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have seen some fan-created LCARS panels that actually make a lot of sense. Layered windows on screen. Logically lain out 'button' sets. Actual words, workable menus, etc. I would love to see this type of interface: Touch controlled, but with a look and sense of purpose.