Star Trek: Of Gods and Men

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Lighthammer, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

So if you didn't actually see half the movie, then you have no right to bitch about it.

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Eh, I always feel that if you walk out on a movie, you've paid your money to gripe. Savious didn't like the movie, and he (or she) is entitled to speak his or her mind.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, JJ has his money:evil:
    But time-travel has been a part of Trek since the 4th episode and has been regularly featured ever since. It's as much a part of Trek lore as anything else, IMO.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed it has. Besides its inclusion at the climax of The Naked Time, time travel was an essential part of the premise of no less than 4 TOS episodes (one of which won a Hugo Award):
    • Tomorrow Is Yesterday
    • The City on the Edge of Forever
    • Assignment: Earth
    • All Our Yesterdays
    Just by one measure of relevance to Star Trek, altogether five episodes is as many as those that went to Vulcan or had Romulans, put together:
    • Balance of Terror
    • Amok Time
    • Journey to Babel
    • The Deadly Years
    • The Enterprise Incident

5. Savious

Savious Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm following what you are saying about time travel is part of Star Trek, because it is part of Sci Fi.

but; as you pointed out, in the 4th Ep of TOS, they moved back a few days; other instances where time travel was done, it wasn't a major shift in things, it was something that allowed the plot to develop, not the plot point itself.

And that's where they shifted; from plot point to foundation of the plot.

I guess, the bottom line for me, was it abandond cannon, and that's when they lost me.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, disliking nuTrek is itself a valid position, though not one I personally agree with. I'm certainly not fond of certain films and episodes, including some that are personal favorites of others, and I hold some fan films in higher regard than some episodes. It's worth pointing out that just because something takes place in the prime universe, that doesn't mean it will necessarily be entertaining to watch.

Back on topic, I have an interest in seeing the production under discussion in this thread, and if that weren't so then I wouldn't even be participating in the thread in the first place.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012