Star Trek: Myriad Universes - follow up(s)?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Little_kingsfan, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Little_kingsfan

Little_kingsfan Commander Red Shirt

I also greatly enjoyed A Less Perfect Union and it's another Myriad Universes story I'd love to see followed up with someday. Would Cmdr. Kirk get his own ship? What does the 24th century look like in this timeline, other than the eventual launching of the I.C.V. Enterprise? Oh, and my personal, immediate story follow-up question for this story: will Lt. Uhura remain onboard the U.E.S.S. Enterprise as the dual-hatted Communications and Intelligence Officer (now under her own name, since her cover was blown during the T'Pol rescue mission)?

SolarisOne likes this.
  2. Little_kingsfan

Little_kingsfan Commander Red Shirt

The next Myriad Universes story I read was Brave New World. Personally, as far as stories go, particularly Star Trek/sci-fi stories, it was pretty good. It asked some good questions and had some rather good Star Trek-type issues involving androids, friendship, and - my personal favorite - new/junior crewmembers who are now the senior staff. However, there was one thing that kept getting to me as I read it: the story takes place in 2378 (established), but I couldn't quite tell where the divergence took place: was it all the way back in the 2330s, when Noonien Soong was creating his androids? As far as I could tell, the Enterprise-D crew never encountered Lore, Donald Varley and the Yamato never found Iconia (which, does that mean that they survived into the 2370s?), there was no Dominion War or Maquis rebellion, Geordi's mom is still alive and commanding a starship (presumably although not definitely the Hera), and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

I was also pleased to note that Captain Picard nailed Geordi (in this story, his First Officer of some years) in terms of his ability to make casual acquaintances and work well with pretty much anybody, but not really develop any lasting friendships (outside of Data, Wesley, and presumably the Enterprise-D senior staff who've since transferred off the ship). Speaking of transfers, in this story, Riker was promoted to Captain and assigned to the Excalibur, taking his girlfriend/wife? Counselor Troi with him; newly-promoted Lt. Cmdr. Worf joined the crew of Deep Space 9, leaving Lt. (later Lt. Cmdr.) Ro as the TO/Chief of Security; Dr. Crusher is once again/remained? Head of Starfleet Medical, with Dr. Quaice, now in his android body, as Enterprise's CMO; and new android crewman Lt. Cmdr. A. Isaac as Chief Science Officer. I'm also guessing that recurring characters Chief O'Brien, Reginald Barclay, and others have also rotated off the ship. Data, of course, resigned his commission (around 2367, if I'm not mistaken), and those junior crewmembers mentioned earlier who are now senior staff include Lt. Sam Lavelle at the helm, Lt. Sito Jaxa at Ops, and Lt. Wesley Crusher as Chief Engineer, with Lt. Alyssa Ogawa mentioned but not actually seen serving as the Enterprise's head nurse.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I believe so, yes. The prologue implies that Soong shut down Lore about a month earlier in this timeline, so that he never summoned the Crystalline Entity, the colony was not destroyed, and Soong was able to perfect his research.

SolarisOne likes this.
  4. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, as an example, nothing discounts Vanguard and Seekers from being compatible with new TOS novels, even with the meta genome data appearing during the Andorian reproductive crisis in post-Nemesis lit. (In fact, I find myself picturing the crew of the Sagittarius and much of the Vanguard officers wearing the Discovery style uniform a lot easier than the TOS uniform).