• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

News Star Trek Movie Rereleases Beaming Into Theaters – With Souvenir Popcorn Bucket

  • Thread starter Laura Cynthia Chambers
  • Start date

Laura Cynthia Chambers

Vice Admiral
Admiral

Over the weekend we got the first indications that there is a planned series of rereleases of classic Star Trek movies, each each paired with an episode that relates to it directly or thematically. So far, Cinemark and AMC theaters have confirmed rereleases of the first four movies starring William Shatner, each billed as a double feature event.

The movie pairings will each get one evening showing on its own night, but they will also be shown marathon-style on Sept. 8 for anyone who’d like to spend the day taking Trek in on the big screen. Here are the pairings and show times based on Cinemark’s website, which could vary depending on your location. AMC has not listed showtimes yet.

  • “The Changeling” and Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director’s Cut on Sept. 4 in the evening, Sept. 8 at 10:30 a.m. ET
  • “Space Seed” and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Director’s Cut on Sept. 5 in the evening, Sept. 8 at 2:40 p.m. ET
  • “Amok Time” and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock on Sept. 6 in the evening, Sept. 8 at 6:30 p.m. ET
  • “The City on the Edge of Forever” and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home on Sept. 7 in the evening, Sept. 8 at 10:05 p.m. ET

60ththeaterspopcorntopper-512x640.jpg


Incidentally, I wonder which episodes they would have paired with V and VI.
 
Nope. I’m not giving my money to the Ellisons.
I had to look that up. But having done so, I certainly agree. Which ties in rather well with the main reason why I'd be perfectly happy with NO new ST for the next few years.

Then again, the only movie I've seen in a theatre since the pandemic begain (other than Hollywood Bowl screenings with the scores played live, which isn't exactly the same as going into a movie house) was the proshot of Sondheim's Merrily We Roll Along (at least twice, and I think three times). I've probably (for example) missed out on any conveniently located theatrical showing of The Mandalorian and Grogu.
 
I'd be fine with a 6 movie re-release. But I don't need to see episodes on the theater screen at this point. It was fun when they did that back when the HD restorations were done, but now? Meh.
 
I would love to see the films on the big screen, and will probably see TMP. But adding another hour the the time commitment to see the episode is not helpful. So I probably won't see any more.
 
Aren't they the most beloved of the 6 TOS-only films?
TMP is only beloved by a segment of fandom. It's never been universally embraced. Even the DE doesn't make the movie dramatically different. Just makes it feel less slow and adds some scenes that help the story.

TUC is usually more highly regarded. Honestly would have expect them to lean on the "even numbered movies only" type release in that case.
 
If TSFS is playing at the AMC near me, I'll go see it. It's the only Star Trek movie I haven't seen in the theater. I've seen TMP, TWOK, and TVH at Special Screenings over the years and every movie from TFF on when they were first in theaters. I've wanted to close that gap for a long time.

Seeing "Amok Time" paired with TSFS would be an added bonus.
 
Last edited:
TMP is only beloved by a segment of fandom. It's never been universally embraced. Even the DE doesn't make the movie dramatically different. Just makes it feel less slow and adds some scenes that help the story.

TUC is usually more highly regarded. Honestly would have expect them to lean on the "even numbered movies only" type release in that case.
Seeing @Tallguy's angry emoji prompts me to clarify that I adore TMP in all of it's editions and it is in my top 3 movies. TUC is one of those "with fewer jokes I would have liked it better" movies but still like it a lot.
 
Seeing @Tallguy's angry emoji prompts me to clarify that I adore TMP in all of it's editions and it is in my top 3 movies. TUC is one of those "with fewer jokes I would have liked it better" movies but still like it a lot.

I really think there has been a re-evaluation of TMP. I'm sure it's still not beloved, but it's not just me and the other four people who like it anymore.

Where No Man Has Gone Before with TFF.
Yeah, Errand of Mercy works with TUC.

So I can't go see TMP on Friday because my kid has an event. When I saw the DE as a Fathom event the sound was TERRIBLE and I could hear the blockbuster next door over the movie. The new sound mix is 75% of why I want to see it in a theater.

I honestly don't need to see TWOK again. (I know. But it hasn't been that long.) I might go see TSFS since it's on a Sunday. But the kids are back in school.

I MAY go see TVH mostly to see City! But it's also the 40th anniversary of TVH.

This sucks. Oh, and on September the 8th proper, they're showing the whole damn thing.

Does anyone know which TWOK they're showing? If it's the longer version then I'm even more out.
 
I dunno. I've seen TMP and TVH twice each on the big screen in the last few years (the 40th Anniversary TMP screening of the original cut, the 4k DE release event, the 35th anniversary TVH screening, and then one a couple years later at a local arthouse that included a Q&A with Shatner). Maybe I'll check out the exact timings, but the ST09/STID/BEY premiere marathon was the limit of my endurance, and I fear that if I try to see an episode-plus-movie screening after dark, that sedate, sixties pacing will lull me into a deep, restful slumber (based on the fact that I made it through maybe a quarter of "The Power of the Daleks" with a 9 PM showtime, not continuously). At least I'll know the stories well enough to find my place when I wake up.
 
I really think there has been a re-evaluation of TMP. I'm sure it's still not beloved, but it's not just me and the other four people who like it anymore.

I agree but I still feel in general, it has yet to reach "beloved" status en masse. But it ranks higher than V, so there's that.

I might go see TSFS since it's on a Sunday. But the kids are back in school.
I would go just because it's my favorite of the six and seeing it in the theater is a rare treat.

I MAY go see TVH mostly to see City! But it's also the 40th anniversary of TVH.
I would also because I haven't seen it in the theater since 1986.

Does anyone know which TWOK they're showing? If it's the longer version then I'm even more out.
I feel like that's the default but yeah, I wouldn't rush out for the longer cut. Other than Doohan's scene, there's nothing in it that shouldn't have remained on the cutting room floor.
 
I've seen TWOK in the theater twice. Once in 2010 and again in 2017. At the 2017 screening, George Takei was hosting. The only reason I might consider going to the TWOK screening as well is to see "Space Seed". It depends on things like work, life, etc.

Even though TMP is the Star Trek I for the movies in general, if we're talking about the Genesis Trilogy, then I think "Space Seed" is actually the real "Star Trek I" for those movies. If that makes any sense. So, it would be nice to see it in the theater, with that type of thinking. But it's only a "would be nice".

I don't care what else I have going on in life, though, I'm seeing TSFS no matter what.
 
Last edited:
I dunno. I've seen TMP and TVH twice each on the big screen in the last few years (the 40th Anniversary TMP screening of the original cut, the 4k DE release event, the 35th anniversary TVH screening, and then one a couple years later at a local arthouse that included a Q&A with Shatner). Maybe I'll check out the exact timings, but the ST09/STID/BEY premiere marathon was the limit of my endurance, and I fear that if I try to see an episode-plus-movie screening after dark, that sedate, sixties pacing will lull me into a deep, restful slumber (based on the fact that I made it through maybe a quarter of "The Power of the Daleks" with a 9 PM showtime, not continuously). At least I'll know the stories well enough to find my place when I wake up.

I attended a TMP anniversary screening in Vancouver. The audience hush as the lights dimmed and then the titles and Jerry Goldsmith's magnificent score burst forth.

Sometimes you can go back, for just an instant.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top