Star Trek: Lower Decks - CF025 - "Open Wounds"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by ColdFusion180, Nov 27, 2021.

1. ColdFusion180

ColdFusion180 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Originally posted on fanfiction.net - Link.

Note: This story occurs after the events in the episode "Cupid's Errant Arrow".
    --------------------------------------

Open Wounds

“Why?” Boimler moaned curled up in his bunk. “Why did Barbara have to break up with me? I could have helped her focus on her career. How did something so great fall apart so fast? We were so good together…”

“Dude, are you still moping about that?” Mariner asked lying in her own bunk. “I thought you had accepted it and moved on.”

“I did until I got back and saw all the reminders and mementos of my ex-relationship with Barbara,” Boimler sniffed. “I can’t let go of my memories of her just yet. It’s too soon!”

“Seriously?” Mariner hopped down and faced her heartbroken friend. “Boims, she broke up with you over an hour ago. Deal with it.”

“I can’t,” Boimler moaned facing the bulkhead. “Barbara was the first person in a long time to really like me. And I really liked her. She was perfect! We shared so many amazing times together…”

“You two were a couple for barely a month!” Mariner pointed out. “And spent most of that time apart on different ships.”

“That just made the times we were together so much more magical,” Boimler sighed wistfully. “We had a connection. A rapport. A deep, intimate bond!”

“Please, I’ve had hangovers I was bonded closer to than any connection you and Barb ever shared,” Mariner scoffed. “And they lasted a heck of a lot longer. Not for lack of trying…”

“It was wonderful! Aside from being accepted to and graduating from the Academy, the times spent with Barbara were the happiest moments of my life,” Boimler smiled briefly. “But now it’s over. Barbara’s gone. Gone forever! All I have left are myself, my memories and LeVar.”

“You named the teddy bear LeVar?” Mariner did a take.

“Yeah. What’s wrong with LeVar? It’s a perfectly good name,” Boimler sniffed hugging the stuffed, uniformed bear to his chest. “Mmmm, he still smells like Barbara…”

“How is that possible? She didn’t even touch the silly bear,” Mariner pointed out. She watched Boimler moan and sniffle for a minute. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t worry, LeVar. I’ll take care of you,” Boimler whispered stroking the bear’s head. “I’ll never break your heart and abandon you the way Barbara abandoned us…huh?” He rolled over and looked up at Mariner in confusion. “What are you sorry for?”

“About the way I acted around Barb,” Mariner awkwardly ran a hand through her hair. “About how I treated you, your relationship, saying that she was way out of your league…”

“Wait, you’re admitting you were wrong?” Boimler gasped in shock.

“Of course not,” Mariner scoffed. “Barb was and is way, way out of your league. No question about it. I’m just sorry I said it aloud.”

“Thanks a lot,” Boimler grumbled.

“And I’m really sorry for believing there was something wrong with Barb just because she was dating you,” Mariner said leaning against the bunks. “It was wrong to presume anyone that smart, awesome and hot wouldn’t have low standards. In your case, very low standards…”

“Oh geeze!” Boimler groaned burying his face into his pillow. “You really stink at apologizing, you know that? I almost prefer it when you mock me.”

“Hey, cut me some slack. It’s not something I’m used to doing ya know,” Mariner defended. “Anyway, you were right. My thinking and behavior were seriously messed up. You’re a great, outstanding guy and Barb would’ve been crazy not to see it. Just like she was crazy to break up with you.”

“Really?” Boimler turned and looked up at her in hope. “You’re not just saying that?”

“Of course not,” Mariner gave him a reassuring smile. “You’re a catch, man. You’re real, remember? If Barb cares more about her career than being with you, she doesn’t deserve ya. You’re not the one with a problem. She is!”

“You’re right,” Boimler blinked. “I am real. I’m the one and only Brad Boimler! I’m not just a cute face. I have a personality and lots of character too!”

“You bet your sweet bippy you do!” Mariner grinned. “There’s a whole galaxy of women out there, Boims. Odds are there’re at least one or two more who are into the skinny, neurotic weasel type.”

“Hey! Stop making cracks about my love life!” Boimler protested. “It’s not like your dating life is so hot! You never go on any dates! Your romantic schedule is even deader than mine!”

“I’ve had romantic relationships before,” Mariner defended looking thoughtful. “Well, more like relations and hookups than actual romance. Also a few flings, a few one-night stands, a few regrets…”

“Gee, what a surprise,” Boimler drawled.

“Watch it, Boims. I have issues,” Mariner warned looming over him. “Every time I open up and leave myself vulnerable to someone, they end up taking off. Leaving me feeling crushed, abandoned and alone just like you’re feeling about Barb! So don’t judge me until you’ve traveled a light-year in my boots!”

“Sorry,” Boimler gulped. “I didn’t consider that.”

“Well you shoulda!” Mariner snapped before continuing in a much softer tone. “I don’t like to lose people. Especially people I’m close to. People I care about.” She blew at her hair. “Barbara was an unknown. I should have trusted your judgement instead of making unfounded presumptions about her. I’m sorry.”

Boimler studied Mariner for a moment. “It’s okay. I understand.”

“Do you?” Mariner gave him a look.

“Well, no. Not really,” Boimler admitted. “But I’m willing to learn. It was kinda nice that you were willing to make sure Barb wasn’t another Anabaj or something. In a weird, sick, twisted sort of way. Just don’t go around making unobtrusive scans, cutting off locks of hair or pulling down the pants of any more of my future romantic partners.”

“I’ll try,” Mariner gave a slight grin. “I admit the hair cutting thing was pretty extreme. Guess I was a little overprotective with you…”

“A little?” Boimler yelped.

“Okay, a lot,” Mariner admitted. “But I’d rather be overprotective than underprotective. That’s one aspect of Starfleet training I adhere to. Being prepared and all that.”

“I don’t think that philosophy applies when it comes to personal relationships,” Boimler groaned before looking at Mariner again. “Still, I suppose you wouldn’t have been so overprotective of someone you didn’t consider to be a friend.”

“Well, I wouldn’t go that far,” Mariner teased and playfully ruffled his hair. “More like a wise mentor looking after a naïve, bumbling mentee. Or an apprentice, minion, underling, lackey…”

“Yeah, yeah,” Boimler rolled his eyes. “Well, this is one mentee who has learned a lesson from all this. Life is too short to spend moping around about past love. Barbara and I are done and I’ll just have to live with it.”

“‘Attaway, Boims,” Mariner approved as Boimler sat up and set his teddy bear aside. “That’s how one gets over a breakup in the twenty-fourth century.”

“That’s right,” Boimler declared standing up. “The Barbara phase of my life is over. I’m now ready, willing and able to face the future!” Suddenly, Boimler’s padd beeped. He picked it up and glanced at it. “Hey, it’s Barbara! Maybe she’s calling to say she made a mistake and wants to get back together!”

“Oh boy,” Mariner held a hand to her head. “Here we go again!”

Hi, Brad,” Barbara’s smiling image appeared on the padd. “Is this a good time?

“Of course. Anything for you,” Boimler smiled back. “So, are you calling to say you’d like to reconsider breaking up with me?”

Huh? No, of course not,” Barbara gave him a funny look. “I’m calling to update you on my latest findings and studies about that fascinating parasite.”

“Oh,” Boimler blinked, deflating. “Uh, sure. Go ahead.”

Great!” Barbara beamed. “So, after some quick preliminary research I found that species of parasite is not native to Vendu.

“Really?” Boimler looked surprised.

Yep. And not only that, a simple cellular growth analysis showed that particular parasite is only a few hours old. Not a month,” Barbara continued. “So you couldn’t have picked it up before we first met.”

“I didn’t?” Boimler gasped.

“Well, duh,” Mariner gave him a look. “You really think a fist-sized googa like that would remain undetected for a month by the ship’s biofilters, transporter buffers and internal sensors? Even the Cerritos’ equipment isn’t that bad! What kind of absolute idiot would come up with a ridiculous, whacked out theory like that? No offense, Barb.”

None taken,” Barbara waved.

“Plus, that doesn’t even consider you discovering the parasite with your hands whenever you took a sonic shower,” Mariner went on. “Or any of the other measures you use to maintain your absurdly high levels of personal hygiene.”

“You have a point,” Boimler said. “But the parasite said it had always been influencing me.”

Not according to the evidence,” Barbara refuted. “Turns out the parasite lied.”

“Gee, what a shock,” Mariner drawled.

“But then when did the parasite attach itself to my head?” Boimler asked.

Must have been sometime today,” Barbara reasoned. “It just recently emerged from its pupa stage.

“Huh, that explains why I found its exoskeletal husk in the Vancouver’s shuttlebay,” Mariner commented.

You did?” Barbara said overhearing her. “That’s great! Do you still have it?

“No,” Mariner shook her head. “It…uh, broke and we left the remains back on the orbital platform where we fought and bonded over Boims.”

Aw, too bad,” Barbara cursed. “But it must have come from somewhere. What else was around when you found it?

“Not much,” Mariner shrugged. “A bunch of shuttlecraft, some cargo containers, a bouquet of flowers, a teddy bear…”

Aha! The flowers! Of course!” Barbara exclaimed. “The parasite must have been maturing in the flowers Brad had brought for me! It then emerged from its husk and quietly attached itself to his head!”

“But that means it could have also easily attached itself to you,” Boimler realized. “Oh no! I nearly infected my ex-girlfriend with a parasite and didn’t even know it!”

Never mind that, Brad,” Barbara waved. “What kind of flowers were they?

“Uh, I’m not exactly sure,” Boimler scratched his head. “I got them from a Kressari merchant who was passing through the system during the shuttle trip to the Vancouver. He was collecting rare botanical specimens from Mixtus III in case we messed up the moon demolition and ended up wiping out every living thing on the planet.”

Hmmm, interesting,” Barbara mused. “I’ll have to track that Kressari merchant down. Thanks for the info.

“No sweat, Barb,” Mariner waved. “See ya at the M’tari tournament. We’ll catch up and trade more embarrassing Boimler stories then!”

“WHAT?!” Boimler yelped.

Great! See ya!” Barbara waved. “Bye Brad!”

“Wait! What about us…awww!” Boimler groaned as Barbara closed the channel. “Not again! Barbara is only ever interested in me because of the parasite.”

“Not exactly,” Mariner gave him a sly look. “Think about it. Barb said there’s no way you could have picked up that parasite before you two originally met. Which means…”

“Which means she really did fall for me because of who I am!” Boimler gasped in realization. “Yes! I knew it! I’m real! I’m the man!”

“More like a real man-child,” Mariner smirked.

“Barbara was attracted to me without my body being chemically manipulated. Ha! Take that parasite!” Boimler cheered and danced around. “Barbara liked me! She really liked me!”

“She sure did,” Mariner agreed. “Why, I’ll never know.”

“She liked me! She liked me!” Boimler smiled. “She liked me and was attracted to me and she still dumped me.”

“Uh,” Mariner blinked. “Well, technically…”

“She flat out dumped me. I wasn’t under the parasite’s influence when that happened,” Boimler’s face fell. “She saw me for who I really am and rejected me!”

“Hey, man. Remember what I said earlier,” Mariner reminded. “It’s not you. It’s her!”

“Oh Barbara. Why? WHY?!” Boimler moaned sinking back onto his bunk. “You were right. I opened myself up to Barbara and she just took off. Just like every other woman I’ve ever been attracted to. I’m never, ever going to meet another woman like her. I’m doomed to be single and alone for the rest of my life!”

“Don’t worry, Boims. You’ll always have me!” Mariner smiled cheerfully. “Boims? Dude, are you crying? Boims?”

--------------------------------------
    Disclaimer: I do not own Star Trek: Lower Decks.

2. Robert Bruce Scott

Robert Bruce Scott Commodore Commodore

Well, they'll always have Paris...ite... Thanks!! rbs

ColdFusion180 likes this.