Star Trek: First Frontier on Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Bixby, Apr 6, 2015.

1. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Good to know they are shooting for March, but haven't we seen most of that footage in the previous trailers?

2. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Did anyone notice that the credits at the end say "Nichelle Nichols as Nyota Uhura"? Wonder how that's going to be? Is she narrating from the future and retelling the first Enterprise mission?

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it was her voice doing the trailing narration.

For me, using STII:TWoK music for this era is jarring. And forget Paramount; ASCAP may take issue and due a DCMA in short order based on using James Horner's themes to the degree they do if this continues through the finished feature.

ASCAP is way scarier than Paramount (or CBS) here.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I have yet to see any fanfilm taken down for music Copyrights and most of them violate that. So I'd be surprised if this was.

5. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am going to download it the same day this comes out as I don't think CBS will allow it to remain on YouTube for very long. I hope I am wrong.

KennyB likes this.
  6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

I doubt CBS would file a complaint. The studio made its point with Axanar on the "arms race" crowdfunding and they've yet to retroactively remove previous fan films, such as New Voyages, Exeter, etc.

7. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Same day? I don't see it getting past same hour. Viewers may not even make it past the opening credits before it gets yanked.

8. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    While I agree on this, could it be placeholder music, and there could be an original score for the film?

Either that, or they might use music from the two TOS pilots, plus maybe season 1 of TOS?

I really want to see this one see the light of day.

9. KennyB

Sooooooooo. Yeah.

dmac likes this.
  10. gmlego

gmlego Ensign Red Shirt

Buuuut... today is 3/20/19 and I do not know where I can watch the film... Does someone know something?

11. dmac

dmac Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm going to keep a positive attitude the final corrections work out for this film.

12. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can't use recorded music without licensing it from the owner of the recording.

You can't re-record someone's composition without licensing it from the publisher first. ASCAP collects royalties from the sync rights and splits 50/50 between writer and publisher.

Though music written specifically for a movie earlier might have been a work for hire and it would depend on the contract between Horner and Paramount.

But they can't legally use other people's music without permission and paying. Fair is fair.

- proud member of ASCAP as both composer and publisher

CRM-114 and KennyB like this.
  13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

You're right, of course, but no one seems to issue takedowns on the endless fan videos and fanfilms featuring unlicensed music, which surprises me.

14. KennyB

Just reviewing the thread and the Facebook link now goes to a restaurant in Serbia........:vulcan:

Philip Guyott likes this.
  15. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

There are recent comments on this youtube video that imply that everything is still moving forward and completed.

The video is 20 days old or so, but there are comments as recent as 2 days ago.

16. KennyB

Posted by Axanar.........that doesn't inspire confidence.

fireproof78 and F. King Daniel like this.
  17. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

There are responses in the comments from Scott Lyttle, and the interview is with him - I'm assuming thats one of the producers. I haven't watched the video. I don't want to know anything until its real and I'm clicking play on the whole episode.

KennyB likes this.
  18. KennyB

Well.............we are into May now........anything new or have they moved the goalpost again?

ialfan likes this.
  19. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Haven't heard a thing. And their FB page doesn't have anything new.

KennyB likes this.
  20. KennyB

Just heard directly from Kenny.........will pass it on without comment:

"Hey there! Lots of things are going on behind the scenes. I was able to find an amazing CG artist who is busy perfecting the visuals. We are nearing a completion of a new trailer, this one will feature his talents and show the film's full potential. That should be ready in a month or so, then the film about 6 months after that."

So that puts us at August 1st for another trailer and Feb 2020 for the film.........

Philip Guyott and dmac like this.