• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Star Trek: Early Voyages

That's an oversimplification. They were publishing Trek comics while in the midst of bankruptcy proceedings. Indeed, it wasn't just Trek, they started a whole "Paramount Comics" imprint that was doing tie-ins with a bunch of Paramount properties.
Seem to recall they had a Mission: Impossible comic around then that couldn't use Tom Cruise likeness.
 
Patrick Zircher is on Bluesky and he answers fan questions all the time.

I finally got around to messaging him there and he replied very quickly. Here is what he wrote

I was artist-only on that series and just received finished scripts. I wasn't included in the overall planning of the series. It was a good assignment though.

I asked a follow up question asking if he got any scripts that were completed but didn't make it to the comic before it was cancelled.

I don't believe so. Not 100% about that. 30 years ago and I work at this every day :)

So that's one avenue closed as to what was to come next if the comic had continued.
 
Strangely enough this series was set immediately preceding the Cage and immediately following it, meaning it didn't really overlap any material SNW is now covering. More than a few issues can probably be straight up placed into the mainstream continuity without issue (minus the issues that have their take on the Rigel mission, Pike's father, and any other things SNW overwrote etc.)
 
^ Interestingly, both EV and SNW have April as an admiral, even though he was shown as a commodore in TAS. Of course, IIRC, EV had April acting like an asshole (requirement of the rank??), and I was assuming his behaviour in that final, aborted story arc was setting up his demotion, but of course we never saw how that actually ended, and SNW still has him as an admiral a decade-ish later. At least his characterization in SNW is much more in-line with his characterization in TAS.
 
It's been fun to read through this thread. I loved that whole run of Marvel Star Trek comics. I can remember riding my bike through the snow to the local drug store to see if they had the latest issues.

I was under the impression that licensing was paid upfront for a set amount of time. If that's the case, I don't understand how cancelling the whole line saved them money. Were they paying the license by the issue?
 
It's a damn shame that particular title never got to finish its run. In so many ways, I enjoyed EV far better than I have SNW.
I would typically agree that it's unlikely the run will ever be wrapped up, but it seems anything is possible these days.

I had no idea John Byrne was continuing his run on X-Men and was posting it on his webpage. Apparently for years. Marvel started publishing it in collected editions this year as X-Men: Elsewhen. Absolutely wild.

DC has also recently published #88-#91 of Rick Veitch's Swamp Thing run that weren't released in the late 80s.

Never say never? It's a shame someone wasn't on top of this for the 60th.
 
I wonder if the Roddenberry Archive has something on it since they seem to be keepers of unmade Star Trek scripts that have never seen the light of day also.
 
I wonder if the Roddenberry Archive has something on it since they seem to be keepers of unmade Star Trek scripts that have never seen the light of day also.
That would be amazing. If they don't have it, they should try to acquire it. It's so easy for this stuff to disappear if it isn't documented properly.
 
I hope this is "cricket," etiquette-wise. Since this is the Early Voyages thread, I wanted to flag that I'm doing a detailed review series of the first two volumes of the Stardate Collection (which includes the entirety of Early Voyages). You can find a directory of the reviews to date in the opening post.

The whole proceeding is spoileriffic, so if you haven't actually read the comics yet and don't want to be spoiled, my reviews may not be for you. But if you have read them (however long ago) and might be interested in a relative newbie's journey through the classic comic -- or if you just don't give a shit about spoilers -- you might enjoy them. That thread also contains, and/or will contain, similarly spoileriffic reviews of other material in the Stardate Collection like John Byrne's Star Trek: Crew, a couple of Alien Spotlight features, and some further sundries.
 
I had no idea John Byrne was continuing his run on X-Men and was posting it on his webpage. Apparently for years. Marvel started publishing it in collected editions this year as X-Men: Elsewhen. Absolutely wild.
Correction: X-Men: Elsewhen is being published by Abrams Comic Arts, not Marvel. John Byrne discussed possibly publishing it through Marvel, but they did not come to terms on it.
 
I wonder if the Roddenberry Archive has something on it since they seem to be keepers of unmade Star Trek scripts that have never seen the light of day also.
I don't believe they have much in the way of tie-in materials related to comics or novels in the archive. It's mainly focused on production of the series, movies, and then Gene's personal files.
 
I don't believe they have much in the way of tie-in materials related to comics or novels in the archive. It's mainly focused on production of the series, movies, and then Gene's personal files.
I see. That's a shame. I'm sure there is a ton of incomplete tie in media too that will never see the light of day. It would be great to preserve it in some capacity.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top