Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 5x07 - "Erigah"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, May 8, 2024.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

6.5%
  2. 9

22.6%
  3. 8

28.0%
  4. 7

16.1%
  5. 6

10.8%
  6. 5

4.3%
  7. 4

2.2%
  8. 3

5.4%
  9. 2

3.2%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

1.1%
  1. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Aside from the utter stupidity of not breaking Moll & L'ak up, I thought this was the best of the season. And Book having a hissy fit (again).

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's ok to let go.

JRob94, nightwind1 and The Wormhole like this.
  3. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given that The Female Changeling said that the Founders were once 'solid' humanoids, my theory is that the Breen are evolving into a changeling like form. It would explain why The Female Changeling showed so much deference and respect to the Breen.

5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I liked that one a lot.

-1 because I’m sick of Book’s whining.

Commander Troi and Uhura's Song like this.
  6. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Earth's shield in Discovery failed after all of one hit by something with a lot less energy then even a single salvo from the fleet in Picard.

Which again, is on Earth for choosing to build a new shield that was that weak instead of just keeping the same shield they originally had.

7. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Rude?
    Nothing rude about it. They'll still be there.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    fireproof78 likes this.
  8. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But what's odd is that didn't even have to be suggested in order to justify Discovery remaining where it was.

Elaise likes this.
  9. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have you actually watched the episode? The shield was getting hit by debris for hours before it failed

10. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

I thought the episode was fine. L’ak dying was an interesting twist.

So now we know why Rayner is grumpy…tragic backstory. Shoulda seen it coming.

I’m sure we’ll get some DS9 Easter eggs and/or call backs. But I bet anything beyond a badlands visit is just wishful thinking.

Commander Troi and Uhura's Song like this.
  11. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It’ll be interesting how Discovery will ruin the Badlands in this. Will that also have bubbles. :)

12. Paul755

They showed the badlands in Books vision. Looked about the same.

13. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's got "Star Trek" in the title. Trek fans can't reject any form of Star Trek. Even if the Trek stuff they don't like.

aquova likes this.
  14. ananta

ananta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always found the “Badlands” a strange, self-contradictory term. Shouldn’t it be the “Badspace” as it’s referring to space and not land?

Satellite of Love likes this.
  15. Citiprime

Citiprime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One thing I wish they would have kept for the Breen, although I admit it would make it a lot harder to be clear in the narrative, but I think it might have been interesting if they still had the sort of Chewbacca/R2-D2 thing they used in DS9, where the Breen just make noises and everyone around them understands and responds in English.

(Fun Fact: The Breen language in DS9 was based on Ira Steven Behr wanting the sound guys to make it similar to guitar feedback from Lou Reed's album "Metal Machine Music.")

I understand you couldn't do that with L'ak, but it would make the Breen a bit more mysterious and "alien."
    In a way, it gets into how if taken at face value how so much of the norms and nomenclature of the Federation is humancentric and basically shows humans giving alien things names we like. There's the "Badlands." We also have an area of space that's known as the "Briar Patch." And it also plays into the idea that given the importance of Earth within the Federation and Starfleet, a lot of the naming and mapping seems to revolve around human concepts of importance (e.g., our solar system being the official divider for the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, the area around our solar system is officially "Sector 001," etc.).

I mean Starfleet basically uses the structure and customs of the (human) US Navy almost verbatim, and it seems that in a Federation that spans 150 worlds (circa the 24th century) there's no other influences from any other culture's militaries that's been adopted.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    Commander Troi likes this.
  16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sad but true.

17. Chakoteya

Chakoteya Commodore Commodore

Well, there are asteroids and stuff there. And the Maquis who based themselves there did include a native american indian so... typical US-centric naming.
    Sounds like the Cardassians will be making an entrance?

18. Paul755

I’m always gonna give a Star Trek show a chance. It why I won’t outright reject “Starfleet Academy” like some do. Me personally, I don’t hate any Star Trek show there are just shows I like better than others.

Hate watching has always been a strange concept for me.

yeah, I would have liked to see this too. It would have been a sneaky good callback. Maybe subtitle it or have the translation available if you turn on the closed captioning.

19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Elias talks about hate watching in the TrekCulture interview I linked a few pages ago, he doesn't get it either. If you don't like something, DON'T WATCH IT

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"I'm in a badspace right now,"
    "Is there anything I can do to help?"
    "What? No, I'm in the Badspace! You know that crazy area near Bajor?"

Commander Troi likes this.