Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x06 - "Scavengers"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Nov 18, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

9.0%
  2. 9

14.8%
  3. 8

21.2%
  4. 7

32.3%
  5. 6

12.2%
  6. 5

6.3%
  7. 4

1.6%
  8. 3

1.6%
  9. 2

0.5%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0.5%
  1. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point!

Markonian likes this.
  2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Guy said he was a cousin of Osiris so I’m guessing Orion

Gilora likes this.
  3. Precious Tritium

Precious Tritium Commander Red Shirt

Always nice to have an episode that pairs Michael off with the two people she has the most chemistry with; Georgiou and Book.

The plot I could take or leave, but I really enjoyed all the character interactions in this one, so it’s a net positive episode for me.

DataRules likes this.
  4. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

Looks like they overengineered the badge. It is now a communicator, a PADD, and a tricorder.

Michael Burnham proves yet again why she is a terrible Starfleet officer. She's lucky her captain still has his command.

I was looking forward to seeing what was on the black box. I guess that will have to wait.

Tolor is the nephew of Osyraa.

5. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

Book's ship has Multi-Vector Assault Mode. Nice.

SolarisOne and Blooded like this.
  6. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

They're dragging the burn mystery out like Spock in S2... not even last episode's music was further explored.
    Everything outside of the Disco or HQ felt like episode 2 - not very interesting.

Jadeb likes this.
  7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still trying to figure out what arbitrary reason the writers decided to throw Orions and Andorians together. All I can come up with is they have similar skin colors. Like, hey, Twi'leks are green and blue.

Thing is, if someone did something similar in human terms it would be, you know, bad.

8. ThinkPanda

ThinkPanda Ensign Newbie

So Disco becomes NCC-1031-A, and it was NCC-1031 in Calypso. This rule out the possibility that Discovery will go backwards 930 years again later in the story?

But we witnessed Disco changed its code to conceal its real identity in season 1...

9. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

Orions are forest green and Andorians are aqua.

It's more than a name change; it's structural. For example, the ship now has these big gaping holes in its pylons. I am sure others will do more in-depth analysis, finding other major changes.

10. IMC Headquarters

"Journey to Babel" callback, perhaps?

Nerys Myk likes this.
  11. thribs

I don’t get how having detached nacelles will improve Manoeuvrability.
    I missed the 1031-A first time round. That’s not how a retrofit works. It’s still the same ship. This isn’t the first time they made that mistake.

Deledrius and KennyB like this.
  12. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Lowest of the season for me personally I gave a 6. Would have been better for me if there was SOME kinda hint/payoff as to what was contained in the Black Box. Best moments were from the B stories. Tilly and Grudge. Tilly telling Saru that he needed to tell the Admiral ASAP and Paul with Adira.

Akiraprise and Deledrius like this.
  13. IMC Headquarters

Michael picks up a badge from a basket filled with them and examines it. Who wore it? Whose life did it represent? Whose lives were represented in all those deltas? Lives forgotten. Dead for so, so many years.

DataRules, EmoBorg and burningoil like this.
  14. Xerxus

Xerxus Commander Red Shirt

While it's possible, I doubt they would go to the trouble to re-create the corridors connecting the inner and outer saucer rings. They removed those corridors for the 1031A

15. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

Starfleet had listed Discovery as being destroyed, maybe the "A" was added to conceal that fact since time travelling ships aren't exactly kosher in that century

16. thribs

If that was the case they would have given it a completely different name and reg number.
    Maybe with these new DiscoVerse rules that the Voyager J is the same Voyager we saw in the show.

17. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I gave this one a 7. It had some great moments between Burnham and Georgiou, Burnham and Saru, Tilly and Grudge, Stamets and Adira, Stamets and Culber etc. But that A-plot was very uninteresting and has been done a thousand times. Nice seeing those old starships plunge into the factory though. Next episode looks nice.

SJGardner, Skipper and DaveyNY like this.
  18. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

That would explain the confusion with the Tikhov and it's M designation, despite dialogue implying it was the same ship from the 23rd century. Maybe it got a new letter for every refit (which is a bit silly, but nevermind).

19. thribs

Yeah. With this new system you would run out of letters very fast.
    Just apply that to the Enterprise. Let’s assume every retrofit gave it a new number. April to Pike would be an A, Pike to Kirk would be B. TMP would be C and Wrath of Khan would be D. The A would then become the E and then let’s assume it retired on the F. The B would be the G. Give that one a retrofit and the C would be the I, The D would be the J and that got retrofitted majorly in Generations to become the K. The E was said to be retrofitted in each movie so that would have been the L, M and N.

20. Deledrius

Deledrius Lieutenant Red Shirt

The storyline on the planet was nothing new, and fairly forgettable. Everything else was wonderful.

I really appreciate the tightrope they're walking in the primary conflict here. We have two sides arguing over who is looking at the bigger picture, and that works really well. I worry that eventually the show is going to take a side, and that it will be to the detriment of this story, but so far they're doing it incredibly well. It's not easy to write a believable conflict between two factions both doing good. Michael's Rescue Mission was a good one, and it saved lives and gained multiple intelligence assets. Starfleet is right that chasing answers to some non-urgent mystery in the middle of active conflicts is not the wisest use of limited resources, and doing so while breaking the Chain of Command is outright dangerous in their current situation.

Obviously, Michael is not ready to rejoin her home yet, as we see at the end, but I do hope she'll come to her senses and start working together with Starfleet again. As Admiral Vance said, they are stronger together and if she'd come to him it's possible they could have made a better plan. It's clear she has trust issues after her year alone on the run with Book, and she has unfortunately slid back into her old Shenzhou-era patterns, except now even more openly-emotionally-driven. All season we see her doing the right thing, but executing her plans poorly or impulsively, but since it keeps working out for her she continues to push boundaries. Eventually her luck will run out and she'll find herself in need of the friends she has turned her back on. It feels like she's chafing every time someone has to tell her that she's got the right idea, but that it's a bad idea to run off without a care for who gets hurt or why the rule she wants to break exists to protect people, and that's not a good place for her to be long-term. Right now she's a chaotic force.

Saru has been an amazing Captain so far. He's a wise, decisive, and empathetic commander. I truly feel sorry for him having to deal with such trying situations, and I admire how well he is handling it all.

The relationships between the other main cast are all developing well, and finally feel natural, the comedy is working, the mild swearing actually suits the moment, and Discovery is starting to feel like a place with real people in it.