Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x09 - "Project Daedalus"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Mar 14, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Control approves.

19.6%
  2. 9

30.8%
  3. 8

27.1%
  4. 7

11.3%
  5. 6

4.6%
  6. 5

2.5%
  7. 4

1.7%
  8. 3

1.7%
  9. 2

0.4%
  10. 1 - Utter kaos!

0.4%
  1. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely agreed. I was one of the people who said they should have done the early scenes of Airiam interacting with the crew and reviewing her memories in previous episodes to develop her character over time. But if it had to be done in one episode this was extremely well done. I didn't care about this character before, but I really felt for her when even she herself was asking Burnham to open the airlock. Job well done by the actors, writer and director.

I was surprised about Spock giving advice to Stamets. How does he know anything about Culber? I guess his sister filled him in.

JoeP, Thowra, Vger23 and 5 others like this.
  2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh,
    the snake in Supernatural’s death
    was sadder than Airiams. If it was Demeter or Stanmets, it would have been sad.

3. ISS-Magnum

ISS-Magnum Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As I said before, it's 'Deep Space 9' vs 'Babylon-5' all over again. If you are following both shows, you can understand what I mean.

Rise of the Machines, who wants to exterminate all sentient life in the Galaxy - Control/Kaylon.

One of the crew, who happens to be robot, betrays his comrades, but in the last moment have a change of heart and ready to sacrifice himself - Ariam/Isaac.

One of the crew walks out of the airlock.

All in the same episode. Coincidence? Maybe.

4. thribs

Control attacking all sentient life doesn’t make much sense as it was designed to protect Earth (and the Federation by extension) from all dangers. For it to then see that all biological life as a danger sounds too Skynet to me.

Captain Jed R. likes this.
  5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The Daleks had the idea first.

6. thribs

Daleks aren’t robots though. People seem to forget that.

7. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fandom squabbles, like fashion are cyclical

8. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I gave that one an 8. A bit of a come down from the epic that was last week, but still good.

As much as I felt sad during the final scene, I just felt that Airiam had been such a minor character in to this point, that it was hard to fully sympathise with her and the crew's feelings about her. However, Tilly crying always gets to me dammit.

I loved seeing more about Airiam's background. Discovery has been on a winner with character development this season.

Project Daedalus sounds ominous. Though it also makes me think about my old favourite game Deus Ex. ;) I like that Admiral Cornwell isn't a part of quays going down with Section 31.

I also liked that it seems that whoever is behind the shenanigans has a role in S31 being so out in the open. Perhaps after this is over, its reverts to the S31 we remember from DS9, with the Geourgiou series expanding on that?

9. Captain Jed R.

Captain Jed R. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

7. Would have had more impact - much more impact - if Airiam had had character development before now (as opposed to maybe one line per episode). As it is, it feels a bit like they built her up to mauve shirt just for cheap feels. But kudos to the episode for actually developing Detmer, Rhys and co along with giving Airiam a terminal case of development. That’s a plus, right?

(Also, I love that Bryce is still doing his most wide-eyed and earnest “no response” lines - keep at it, man, you’re an inspiration.)

Thowra likes this.
  10. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hence the destruction of a third of Starfleet's ships off-camera last season. It takes time to recover from something like that.

11. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

OMG where do I start, first off warning this post might contain spoilers.

First off my score for this episode is a solid 8/10

I am not one to give out 8's often but this and last week the writers just hit it right out of the park.

So from what I can gather it seems Section 31 has been totally compromised by its AI, and it's killed everyone on that base of theirs. The Admiral they were talking to was all light and shadows, a hologram. But I wonder if the rest of Section 31 has any idea of what is actually going on. I had a feeling the rest of the season would tie into the episode with the giant sphere. So it seemed the data the sphere dumped into the Discovery had something that the Section 31 AI wanted, and that probe sent from the future hacked into Airiam's systems to insert that code that it needed. I think in the future the evolved AI of Control is what created those probes and sent them back in time to hack the shuttle and Airiam. It's the AI that created all those ships that wipe out all life in the galaxy. So this is indeed Star Trek's Terminator moment.

The fight with her and the rest was a good scene too but that bit in the airlock that's when the feelings of tearfulness were felt inside. Loved that they had no music over the closing credits in keeping with the fact that this was a very sad episode.

I never really warmed up to Airiam but after this episode I did, and now I want her back goddammit. She was a person with feelings and memories and now it's all gone.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo They HAVE TO SAVE HER.

12. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

So there is no way that David Mack's Section 31 books didn't influence this season (this Control is a version of his, but strangely more impotent in its horror movie touches). Still nice!

Galaxy likes this.
  13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Although no more delusional than the Mudd androids believing that they could enslave not only humans but every sentient humanoid with animal passions and emotional weaknesses throughout the entire galaxy just by serving their needs and lulling them into a state of reverse servitude. Trek often has supercomputers, aliens and other intelligences both biological and artificial that have insane dreams of destroying all whom they see as enemies and simply in the way and you know they could never succeed in their mission even if humanity and the Federation were somehow defeated and neutralized.

14. Gov Kodos

Crazy true, the AIs should just create some kind of social messaging system where all life will sit naked and eat junk food while staring at screens for hours on end.

15. cooleddie74

ControlBBS.

Abandon all biological identities and origins, ye who enter here.

Midquest and Gov Kodos like this.
  16. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Makes you wonder if this world is run by an AI.

Just kidding of course

TrickyDickie likes this.
  17. Gov Kodos

Someone needs to get Michelle Yeoh to do this opening for her Section 31 show.

Ovation, rocketdave, Campe and 5 others like this.
  18. cooleddie74

The Transparent Aluminum Dome of Anonymity.

Gov Kodos likes this.
  19. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

In another site somebody speculated that Airiam memories in Discovery computer will become Zora.

rocketdave, jespah, Nerys Myk and 2 others like this.
  20. Midquest

Midquest Captain Captain

Easy: Control sees its mission as protecting the Federation at all costs. Not life, but the Federation. It realizes that life is a threat to the Federation's high-minded ideals and decides that the only way to save those values, especially after the moral failings of the Klingon War, is to eliminate all life.

Twisted, but also logical.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.