Star Trek:Deep Sapce Nine-The Fallen.

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Shran, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Shran

Shran Cadet Newbie

About this game:

Utilizing the Unreal Tournament game engine, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – The Fallen focuses on the quest to find the lost orbs of the Pah-wraiths capable of releasing the "fallen gods." The Cardassians, the Dominion and the Bajorans are all eager to obtain the artifacts for their own purposes – and only the Federation stands in their way.

Release data: 11.15.2000

System Requirements:

PII 233 MHz or equivalent, 64 MB RAM, minimum 150 MB hard drive space, CD-ROM drive, 8 MB VRAM PCI video card; Power Mac G3, 64 MB RAM, System 8.0 or higher, minimum 150 MB hard drive space, 4X CD-ROM drive, 256 color display or higher

In my opinion this is most awesome Star Trek game after ST:Elite force 1 and 2. Graphic and level design are very good. My favorite location is frozen planet Hass'terral where was located base of the Obsidian order.

What do you think about this game? Which game locations is your favorite and why?

DS9forever and Markonian like this.
  2. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I played it years ago but never finished it for some reason.

All I remember is that they didn't get some of the cast, so we had people doing pretty bad impressions of them instead.

3. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

It's still a great game though.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC wasn't this game inspired by the Millennium novels?

5. Shran

Shran Cadet Newbie

Yes, this game based upon Millenium trilogy.

6. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I recently found my old copy and reinstalled it and it works perfectly which is great considering it's nearly 20 years old. Just a shame I'm completely rubbish at it....

7. Ghost

Ghost Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was a pretty good game, well at least a pretty good Star Trek game because it may not hold up to other shooters at the time.

While back twenty years ago I put Elite Force 1 above it I have come to recognize some of the strengths of the game such as the levels that put it above Elite Force 1, and perhaps being a bit more Star Trek like because the designers used more elements from the show.

That was a bit of a problem with Voyager sometimes, because it was a ship on a journey back to the Alpha Quadrant there weren't that many recurring elements in the show as Voyager constantly moved on.
    Raven's people solved that adequately by introducing the ship graveyard of the Forge where ships of various species during Voyager's journey had been brought together so that the player could face enemies such as Borg, Hirogen, Malon, Species 8472, again.
    But because it all took place on board ships and a space station the levels could be a bit limited.

Story wise I am not sure which I prefer the most as I still like the concept of the Forge a lot and its mysterious purpose which the crew must unravel.
    I did in general not like the more political focused story telling of Deep Space Nine that much as that is not why I watched Star Trek.
    The Grigari were a cool opponent though and I would like to see them back in Star Trek games (as would I like to see the Chodak and the Kessok back, and Dr Bredell, the Elasi, and the Vardaine in the Original Series setting)

Gameplay. The Fallen was much more of an action adventure sometimes than Elite Force as there was more focus on getting through parts of the level by jumping, climbing, and so on, and a lot of the puzzle elements tied into that.
    I did not always find the shooting part in The Fallen enjoyable because it could be sometimes very finicky when using auto aim but it was absolutely necessary sometimes in order to hit certain enemies that could move very fast.

Elite Force also had puzzles but was more of a straight on shooter.

Deep Space Nine had a couple of issues though including graphically ones and there was also a potential bug on Kira's level that could spawn an enemy the player would not be able to kill.
    The only way to solve that was to not kill another enemy that would result in it being spawned.

So far people have noticed that I have not mentioned Elite Force 2.
    While in a lot of regard Elite Force 2 is superior to Elite Force 1 such as the graphics and the models, I found it a lot less interesting because the game went back to the safety and comfort of the TNG setting rather than using the Delta Quadrant with all its unique species and wonders that would allow for new ideas.

Having the Klingons and the Romulans again (and species like the Andorians) felt rather boring to be honest and I did not care that much for the two new species and the Exomorphs.

I actually found the storyline somewhat derivative of Elite Force 1, yet more alien factories that produce living killing machines.

The levels were more varied now and included outdoor settings but the player would not notice that that much except for levels like Starfleet Academy, and a lot of them were rather cliche such as the wrecked attacked Starfleet vessel, two space stations, two city levels but which the size is rather disappointing, a sewer level, a factory level, and a couple of underground levels.

There were more puzzles though and the tricorder was a lot more integral in order to solve them.

Elite Force 2 did not have the same impact for me as Elite Force 1 did.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The fact that it had more familiar Trek elements in it was actually one of the reasons I preferred EF2, I also like the story a lot better. The Forge EF1 was OK, it just felt like an excuse to throw a lot of random bad guys at the player. The story in EF 2 just felt a little more unique.
    I'm also a bigger TNG than Voyager fan, so I liked being on the Enterprise and having Patrick Stewart as Picard better.

9. Cosmos12

Cosmos12 Ensign Red Shirt

Wow, talk about nostalgia. I have such great memories of playing The Fallen when it first game out. I remember really enjoying the levels, especially the downed starship. In fact, didn't one of the developers make a few added levels in his spare time, many years after the game had already been out? I'm sure I remember reading his blog about it. Regardless, I'm delighted to hear it still works on modern systems, I may have to give it another go!

As for EF, while I liked 2, I adored 1. I just thought the general storyline was so much better. That time period was great for Trek games from Activision; I still love Bridge Commander and Away Team (although I haven't played the latter in a while.

10. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Commodore Commodore

I don't think I got further than, like, the first or second map in this game. But it was sitting on the shelf in my parent's "computer corner" when I originally signed up to the TrekBBS; TheFallen was my first screenname here.

11. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Avery Brooks & Colm Meaney didn't voice Sisko and O'Brien although I thought Kevin Michael Richardson and Michael Bell did a good job.

Terry Farrell returned so it wasn't all bad on the voice acting front.

12. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Bloody hell..... Elite Force is 20 years old!?!!? Wow. Time really does fly by, as I was at University then, playing that rather than studying or drinking beer.

Sheesh. 20 YEARS!

Feel so old.

Pe, went a bit off topic there.... I loved The Fallen. Great eerie music and I loved running over the hull of the crashed Miranda class Starship. Look out for the one fan made additional level, where, if my memory serves, you can explore the Defiant.

13. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I know right, hard to believe 30 years ago i was enjoying the Amstrad 464 and was just about to move up to a Atari st for ST Rebel universe, and i can remember it like it was just a few months ago. Lol

14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved this game dearly, but I always felt it was too short. I also wished there was some kind of multi-player mode with an online community like EF had.

As far as the voice acting goes, it actually had Nana Visitor as Kira, Michael Dorn as Worf, and Rene Aubernonois as Odo. But it just didn't sound right to have a different actor doing Sisko's voice. That actor was Kevin Michael Richardson, by the way.

Now I need to go dig out my copy and see if I can get it to run on Windows 10.

Kor

15. Captain Tokyo187

Captain Tokyo187 Ensign Red Shirt

Would have loved to play this back in the day, how fun a st first person shooter would be today in dominion war would be.