Star Trek Continues "Pilgrim of Eternity"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by GSchnitzer, May 25, 2013.

1. Captain Cain

Captain Cain Cadet Newbie

Hello everyone, I've been browsing these forums for a long time, but never registered until now. Well here I am! :)

That out of the way, I'll chime in on my thoughts on PoE. I've seen several different fan productions, from Exeter to Phase II and Farragut. I've gotta say that I have enjoyed them all, and this first full outing for ST Continues is certainly no exception.

Streaming it from YouTube onto my big screen tonight, I was blown away by the production values and work these amazing people put into a project like this.

Vic Mignogna makes a terrific Kirk! I for one enjoyed his performance and thought he nailed the charisma that makes up who Kirk is. He comes off as a real heroic leader, and I appreciated his effort.

Chris Doohan blew me away. When I first saw him perform as Scotty in the "Birthday" vignette I immediately realized that he is about 10 times better than Simon Pegg is for that character (no offense to Mr. Pegg, he's an awesome guy, I just couldn't see him as Scotty). It was also cool to see Grant Imahara play Sulu (MythBusters rocks), and getting another Apollo in Jamie Bamber was a nice touch.

Speaking of Apollo, it was good to see Michael Forest reprise his TOS guest role. It was nice that they sent him off the way they did, as the way he departed in Who Mourns for Adonais seemed somewhat tragic.

The visual effects were also top notch. Enterprise looked fantastic, inside and out. Big kudos to the entire production team.

I've got to hand it to the men and women who help put these fan productions together for our entertainment. I really appreciate the effort and time they invest so we can enjoy just a little more Trek. I think Mr. Roddenberry would be proud.

Cain

2. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Right. I think the poster's point was not that the holodeck concept was anachronistic, having been introduced in "The Practical Joker" (and in the book The Making of Star Trek years before that, for that matter). I think the point was that the completely plausible holodeck technology and scene with Paladin from "have Gun, Will Travel" didn't really have any dramatic purpose in the story. It's not like they ended up giving Apollo a holographic home or something. I think people might have been waiting for Checkov's Gun to pay off. It never really did. I guess it was just an appetizer that was unrelated to the main course. (I guess people can decide if that spoils the meal for them or not.)

3. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was a "recreation room" that appeared to have rather limited capabilities. It looked like it just did scenery as we never saw any characters to interact with in it.

The thing that bugs me, if you're a stickler for canon, is that the holodeck appeared to be a fairly new thing in "Encounter to Farpoint," about 80 years later. Riker and Wesley were both "ooing" and "aahing" about it in that episode.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

In my defense, Starship Exeter has spoiled me beyond all reason. ;)

5. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The seems an announcement (like having a counselor), "Hey we're the next year of adventures: things are a bit upgraded and this is how you end up at TNG."

And yes, my daughter was expecting a holodeck realm of worshipers for ol' Apollo. I am glad it wasn't Chekhov's gun, as I find those lame. I'm actually fine with seeing a bit of life on the ship unrelated to the main story.

6. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

With regard to the holodeck and counselor, I think that is just introducing these elements because this is the first episode of this series.

7. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Correcting my post, supra, here's Aurora: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/25.html

No, Person one says "All men are jackasses."
    Then person two says, "Joe Shmo is not a Jackass."
    Then person one says, "Joe doesn't count because he has black hair."
    Person two say, "So, you have to introduce more rules to say that all men are jackasses, showing you don't even really think that yourself."
    Person one responds, "That's the same thing as saying women really want it when they say no. When I say that all men are jackasses, I'm saying any man who is not a jackass is not a real man. I only enjoy talking to men who are jackasses."
    OK, so we are clear now. Any fan film which doesn't slavishly follow rules you have defined as not allowing creativity is not a fan film. You define fan films as being efforts which cannot be creative, and if they are creative, they are not fan films... Its not that fan films can't be creative, it's that if they are you don't consider them fan films.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  8. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

' the fuck :wtf:

9. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

One day. :techman:

10. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Re: Holodeck. They also have mildly updated phaser designs. So they made a deliberate effort to update the tech across the board save the ship istelf, whereas Cawley introduced the Phase II Enterprise refit into his show. Do I think the holodeck is a good idea to introduce into TOS? No, probably because I'm not a big fan of the holodeck in general.

11. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just beside myself on all of the harsh criticism. I think those who slam these fan productions are not keeping an objective perspective.

First and foremost: ***BUDGET*** Do you have any idea of the shoestring budget these folks are on? They make these episodes on a mere fraction of the costs that a commercial production quality episode would entail.

Secondly, they employ amateur actors. Considering what they've done thus far, it's truly remarkable. The fact that they could get real actors to donate their time speaks volumes about the appeal.

Lastly, have you seen the contrasts? Just go ahead and watch one of Exeter's first episodes then jump to Star Trek Continues. The difference is staggering. What it demonstrates is that there is great promise for these fan productions to improve. True, they will likely never match what was done on TOS mainly because of the fantastic chemistry of the cast. But they will achieve enough similarity for it to be palatable for even the more discriminating TOS devotee.

As for "rehashing" TOS, I see "Star Trek Continues" as the continuation. We get to see the rest of the "5 year mission"... and from that point to where ST-TMP picks up, there's a HUGE volume of time available to work with. Count me in as a follower, as this ride is just getting good.

Holodeck: It's fine to see them toy with it, but I'm not confident they'll make copious use due to various technical challenges. We'll see.
    Counselor: We know Picard had one aboard in TNG, so... why can't this incarnation of Kirk have one on board? And I don't think she'll end up relegated as just the ship's counselor or psychologist. There's plenty of possibilities. I don't see this is as a grave contrast to TOS. This is "post-TOS" so they do have liberty to do something like this. Just be thankful she's in a uniform. ;)

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I don't entirely disagree. But I think it's just as important to remember that no production - professional or fan-produced- is above criticism. A lot of the things Maurice and GSschnitzer have posted have been fair responses/assessments, and more so by Maurice as he *is* a professional filmmaker, so unlike about 99% of us, he actually knows what he's talking about.

13. plynch

I am really impressed by people who decide to do or build something and then make it happen rather than being just sheople. To write and produce films is a big deal. It took me three years off and on to produce a 140-page book (albeit a fine one! :)) and that was mainly me in my garret with a few very helpful and kind people. These films involve dozens of people collaborating.

I am halfway done with "World Enough and Time" and really enjoying it. My daughter is a Sulu/Takei fan so I can't wait to watch it with her. Maybe I'll wait to finish it with her instead of finishing it tonight. Since I was seven when I had the joy of seeing TOS eps for the first time, this is really fun.

If you're still reading this thread, GSchnitzer, kudos to you and your people!

14. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I have written a brief article about this episode, which anyone who's interested can read here.

15. plynch

"Hollywood studios spend millions of dollars to produce shows that are not as entertaining as “Star Trek Continues” or any number of other shows that are put together with near-zero budgets and volunteers of various skill levels in the various areas of production." - That is a nice point.

16. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

"...Kim Stringer, who had played Uhura in an episode of 'Star Trek: Phase II'...."

An episode? Kim Stinger played Uhura in the Phase II episodes:

"Blood and Fire, Part 1"
    "Blood and Fire, Part 2"
    "Enemy: Starfleet!"
    and the not-yet-released:
    "Kitumba"

(Also, you misspelled Kim's last name.)

Other than that, a fine article about a fine production.

17. MikeH92467

I have made those corrections! Wish every mistake was that easily cleaned up.

18. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How does that old saying go? "Say anything you want as long as you spell my name right." ;)

Vic Mignogna
    Michael Forest
    Who Mourns For Adonais

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2732442/

19. MikeH92467

Worst hazard of working for Examiner--- no editors. Thanks for the great work guys and thanks for gently pointing out the errors so they can be made right!

20. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

You are probably right overall. But it's all based on taste. It depends on the show too. We get so many shows that are cancelled every year that nobody remembers them the next year. Or even the day after their first episode was broadcast. So I'm not even sure many of todays shows are really that professional. I do agree with you that pretty much all the fan films lack the acting of top level shows today. And mostly overall production values. Although as a Star Trek fan comparing Phase II and Continues to say most of Voyager and virtually all of Enterprise I would take even the worst of these shows over those 2 series so far. Of course it's only about 10 episodes total.