Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by dcsmokey, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Jay

Jay Commander Red Shirt

^Disagreement is cool. I just didn't get from it what you did is all. But different people have different tastes. Mr. Mignogna (how do you pronounce that? Is it Italian and the g is silent) was okay and I didn't think he was bad but I noticed he was doing Shatner's hand manurisms and stuff and it just was kinda like an impersonation to me. I didnt like it but it didn't turn me off to where I don't want to watch more. I want to see if he brings himself to the part and not Shatner I guess.

On lighting and production values it all looked like Star Trek to me so that was great!

I thought McCoy's acting was terrible and they should probably get a pro actor for that role or if he is they need a better director because he seemed really out of character to me. You may disagree but that's my two cents. Maybe people think I'm nuts for thinking so and that's cool so maybe it's just me.

2. Jay

Jay Commander Red Shirt

Maybe that was it. I was liking everything until he showed up and asked what he missed in this weird happy voice like he'd stepped out at a party and now was back.

I hope no one things Im down on the production and am not looking forward to more Star Trek. These fans seem to love Trek so a lot of weird acting and writing from non-professionals can be forgiving. I forgive the other webshows the same way.

3. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Oh, I think some degree of impersonation is understandable. In this four-minute vignette, half of the four minutes is a shot-for-shot reproduction of the end of "Turnabout Intruder." So reproducing everything very precisely--Shatner's mannerisms included--was probably the very intent of the production.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  4. Jay

Jay Commander Red Shirt

^I guess I can see that but since only Shatner can be Shatner it felt wrong to me. But thats why I want to see what they do next to see what the guy in the role brings if he loses that impersonation more. If it stays I dont know if I will watch a lot more because it makes you think "oh he's doing Shatner in this way" or whatever and you lose whats going on with the story.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's certainly true.

6. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Really nice job there, Jack! You guys should be very proud of this Post Script to "Turnabout Intruder." I'm looking forward to your next production!

7. Rattrap

Rattrap Commander Red Shirt

I have a question if it isn't classified information and/or a sore spot. Are the producers of this series and the makers of Star Trek: Farragut still connected? The Farragut crew were guests at our con (Rising Star 20) last year and they were an incredibly friendly group of guys who really spiced up the con. Hoping we can make schedules mesh for Rising Star 22.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, Dracogen and Farragut Films are both listed on the video as producing studios.

The Farragut folks are great, fun, reliable people.

9. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Very clever idea adding a tag to Turnabout Intruder.

The editing was indeed pretty sharp to my eye.

I agree with what others have said, Vic really does seem to be doing a Shatner impersonation here. Personally, I'd rather he found his own take on it, much like James has these days, but that's an entirely subjective opinion. :)

I think it's hard to judge the others on what's a really brief snippet, but I agree Chris Doohan was very good, and Grant Imahara does a pretty good Takei.

If I had a single criticism, it would have to be that the tone of the piece didn't quite work for me. It just seemed too light for something that came immediately after the preceding scene. That said, I'm probably bring modern sensibilities to the table on this one, so I realise it's not entirely off the wall given the style of the sixties.

Either way, there's a lot of good work on show here, and I'll be interested to see where it's going. Congrats to all.

10. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

I agree with you Captain...it did seem way to light a scene for Turnabout Intruder. And I find that it was way too much of a Shatner impersonation. Maybe it's because I've enjoyed james performance of Kirk over the years but it seems he channels Kirk more than this new actor. But time will tell. Especially since we have a new Kirk on Phase II. Which is sad because I really like James's Kirk.

Doohan was spot on in his Scotty role. I didn't like Spock or McCoy too much either but they do a passable job.

And one last thing if you're going to get the Uhura from Phase II acting in this series could someone please make sure she has at least a line? Everyone had a line to say, even it was limited. Uhura just sits on the bridge smiling. I can see why Nichelle complained so much about the limits placed on her character. Give this woman something to say! I've seen her act and she can do it justice. I'd love to see her back on Phase II but I know how all this works.

If I could take Phase II's Kirk (Cawley), Spock, McCoy, Checkov, Sulu, Peter Kirk and Uhura (the same one from this one) and place this shows Scotty in the mix it would be a perfect crew in my opinion. But only because this Scotty knows the role. If not I like the Scotty Phase II has just fine.

I'd give this effort a B-.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The work is nice for a fan production, but "Turnabout Intruder" isn't really an episode I'd pick to relive if I were producing this thing. Still, good work, and I'll check out the next installment.

12. J.C. England

J.C. England Lieutenant Red Shirt

Super job, guys & gals... from the re-creation of
    the original dialogue & action, as well as the original
    add-on... The lighting in the corridors matches
    the original perfectly! Can't wait to see more!

13. GSchnitzer

Well, I think the conceit is that it picks up at the very last moment of the last "real" Star Trek we saw back in 1969. ("Turnabout Intruder" was the last episode aired.)

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That much is obvious -- I just don't think the conceit is worth having to relive such an awful episode. But, YMMV.

15. Shane Houston

Agreed. Being reminded that Lester was like she was because of women not being able to command a starship is very outdated. Especially since we saw the captain of the NX-02 was a woman.

16. GSchnitzer

I think Dr. Lester's perspective on how Starfleet works is, well, unreliable.

17. Shane Houston

Word. I guess being two kinds of crazy would mean that if it wasn't about command of a ship then it would be something else. She's a helluva stalker.

18. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

Good job guys. Looking forward to more. Have you already started filming new episodes/vignettes that are in the pipeline?

19. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really liked it, I also liked the choice for a vignette of continuing a scene from the original, and why not "Turnabout". If it's just a vignette and a proof of concept it's fine.

I liked Vic Mignogna's Kirk. It didn't come across to me as a Shatner impersonation even though you can get Shatner from it certainly. Maybe that's saying something for his skills that he can make it seem natural.

20. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Great observation Harry. Vic definitely emulated a little Shat for the recreation of the final scene, but once they got into the turbo lift he made the part his own. But there were definitely nods to Shatner and Vic was definitely projecting a heroic 60s TV actor in his performance.

As for the complaints about it picking up where "Turnabout Intruder" left off, or the sexist 60s attitudes... really??? Who cares, it's just picking up where the show literally left off, and if the production teams' intent is to be true to TOS and emulate a 1960s TV series, then I'm completely fine with that...

Again great job!