Star Trek Continues, Episode 4 - "The White Iris"

I think I'll watch it with my bowl of cereal tomorrow morning.
I was thinking I wasn't keen on staying up to 3am, but I can watch it early tomorrow morning, too. There was a time back in the early '70s or so when I could catch TOS on a Saturday morning.

Good times.

I recall doing the same in the 80s and being able to get away with more marshmallows in the bowl.

15 minutes in and this episode may be the best yet. Solid script, acting is top notch... Todd Haberkorn is really growing into the Spock role, Chuck Huber really has a great grasp of DeForest Kelley's wry wit.. Vic, however, is simply amazing.

Back to the show.

EDIT: OMG ENGINE ROOM!!!!

This was the first STC episode I wasn't crazy about. I don't know. I'll have to give it another rewatch to see if I change my mind before commenting.

http://startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Loved the episode... very 60's TV vibe. Felt like one of those great "haunted by ghosts of the past" episodes from a show like Bonanza, Gunsmoke, or Big Valley...

Special kudos to Matt Bucy and his outstanding cinematography, and the additional scoring by Andy Farber really blended well with classic TOS music.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed it. This series somehow manages to capture the feel of TOS in a way that makes me fully believe this could have been an episode in a fourth or fifth season.

Good thing was the cinematography and lighting again, as always they managed to get the looks pretty right. Chris Doohan nailed it again, Haberkorn and Huber did a good job, the rest didn´t really have a lot to do.

I think they stumbled upon the high bar they set themselves this time. Very disappointing that it is another "bottle" show, centered entirely upon Vic Micgona, who sometimes seriously overacts (I had to laugh at some scenes - surely not the desired effect)

The story felt as if we have seen it all before - nothing new here, I almost pushed fast forward...

Colin Baker and Adrienne Wilkinson were underused as star guests. Why bring in such an accomplished guest and then do basically nothing with him? And the holodeck? I thought they would not make that mistake again.

I hope they do better next time...

I think it's their weakest effort. Again with the fanfic approach of finding a way to revisit past characters. Again using references to something that didn't exist in 1969. I find some of the acting (Huber needs to relax) and directing dodgy and the writing is uneven. Some of the visual f/x look too contemporary (ship's phasers) although I love that familiar elevation shot of the Enterprise swinging sideways. The new opening credits are nice with the ship shown moving in a more familiar manner.

There remain a lot of nice touches to giving this a TOS feel, but the story itself feels very TNG like. Picard could have had this kind of story, but I really can't see TOS doing a Kirk story like this (did anyone in the '60s even use the word "closure" in terms of emotional conflict?). And the way the holodeck was used was pure TNG.

I'm not that impressed with Colin Baker. At times Mignogna seemed to be channeling Shatner when he wasn't at his best during TOS' third season.

Overall I'm sad to say I'm disappointed.

"Lolani" remains their best effort and deservedly so. Unlike Episodes 1, 3 and 4 it didn't rely on using past episodes and references. It felt fresh yet authentic. And the writing and acting were generally spot on. "Fairest Of Them All" was also good even though it was a fan indulgence and not something TOS would have done.

STC remains admirable on so many levels, but with the exception of one episode they've fallen into the fanfic (including fan films) trap of coattailing on past episodes rather than crafting something genuinely fresh--this isn't something TOS did. I know it's hard, but STC did it once so far. Maybe they need to go beyond their core writing group for fresh ideas.

I hope Episode 5 steps it up.

Last edited:
I had the same reaction to the use of "closure." Fingernails on a blackboard. In fact, as soon as I heard Spock say "they need resolution," I was saying out loud, "Please, Spock, please don't say 'closure'!" A trendy, way-overused 21st-century word.

Overall, I loved the episode. It was beautifully done, and quite a bold move to try to bring back so many characters. However, I agree that they wouldn't have done that in 1969. For starters, they wouldn't have had the budget to pay all those returning actresses! Also, it doesn't quite pass the "Gunsmoke test."

So, these are my only criticisms for what I nevertheless consider a strong effort:

* Excessive reliance on characters from past episodes.

* Anachronistic use of the word "closure."

* McCoy's toupee looked wrong in some of the Sickbay closeups.

* Spock's face and neck were noticeably different colors in the briefing room scene. Not sure if that's more of a makeup or a lighting issue, but I suspect makeup.

* Edith's accent was distractingly inconsistent.

I thought the rest of the acting was great; Mignogna's overacting was not nearly as much as Shatner would have done.
The costumes were fantastically well done, as usual; loved the recreation of the Elizabeth Dehner-style uniform especially.
Matt Bucy's lighting and photography were impeccable as always.

I didn't mind the use of the holodeck (since it's an established feature in TAS), although I questioned how the computer knew Kirk wanted the simulation terminated when he stood up.
Kirk's resistance to consulting Dr. McKennah was a nice vehicle for those viewers who are still questioning the inclusion of a ship's counselor in the series. Naturally, they made her the one to solve his problem and resolve the vicarious doubts.
Enjoyed the scene between Spock and Bones about science and spirituality. It was an unusual twist, though not an inappropriate one, to find Spock on the more "humanistic" side of the discussion.

Last edited:
If I were to rank the STC episodes so far while taking into account this isn't a fully funded full-up studio production?

"Pligrim Of Eternity" ****
--A very impressive "proof of concept" effort that felt quite authentic in so many ways. The only major caveat is that it's unlikely TOS would have revisited a past guest character. But STC managed to pull this off by using Michael Forest's age to the story's advantage.

"Lolani" *****
--I could see this easily being part of TOS' run. Very few quibbles with this one.

"Fairest Of Them All" *****
--On the one hand it's a pure fan indulgence of a story we never would have seen TOS do, but it's done well and it's also a lot of fun to watch.

"The White Iris" ***
--A lacklustre story relying heavily on past continuity. Writing, acting and directing are not as consistent as previous efforts although the production elements are still impressive overall. Mignongna missteps acting wise and at times feels like the Shatner we saw in "And The Children Shall Lead."--Ouch! Huber needs to relax some although he had some good moments. Overall this felt like a TNG story with the TOS characters supplanting the TNG ones.

It isn't that Star Trek (TOS) never addressed characters dealing with past emotional conflict ("Journey To Babel" and "Obsession"), but it was entwined within the context of a fresh story. This is where "The White Iris" falls down. Take away the elements of past continuity revisited and there is no story left. This is all about picking at a scab on Kirk's soul and nothing else. When TOS had characters wrestling with old emotional conflict they were also wrapped up in a lot of other things going on to more fully engage the audience.

Last edited:
Star Trek Continues' "The White Iris" is another wonderful outing from our STC brethren. The entire STC team deserves a hearty congratulations.

In a world of multiple TOS-era fan film productions, STC's successes motivate me and the entire ST NV/P2 team towards excellence. On behalf of the Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II team, thank you for providing new Star Trek adventures to the legion of Trek fans--and thank you for helping to encourage and inspire us on our team to always up our game.

Honestly, I can't stop watching the thing. Love it.

(Random comment: I don't really remember Miramanee having sibilants like a dog whistle!)

Honestly, I can't stop watching the thing. Love it.

(Random comment: I don't really remember Miramanee having sibilants like a dog whistle!)

Fortunately, that means that Tiffany Brouwer's sibilants are out of the range of human hearing. It's surprising you were able to notice them.

The whole bit of Kirk being the only one able to activate the defense grid struck me as ridiculous. What happens after he leaves and there's a problem? The whole idea of the Federation giving advanced tech to a planet in the midst of an interplanetary conflict even though they're being accepted into the UFP didn't strike me as credible.

It's like watching a really great Beatles cover band. They might play an arrangement or medley of the greatest hits that you haven't heard, but you can't expect them to write a new song. That isn't what they do.

Back