Star Trek Continues, Episode 4 - "The White Iris"

BoredShipCapt'n

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Hope I'm not out of line in starting a new thread on this. I'm doing so because it's only 10 days till the premiere and the previous thread is already 55 pages long and has frequently wandered off topic. This thread can make it easier to find the discussion once people have seen the episode.

The public premiere will be on May 29 at Phoenix Comicon. The special preview for Kickstarter backers will be May 25 at noon PDT (3 pm EDT, 8 pm GMT). While the private link is not to be shared with anyone, it seems inevitable that people will start discussing the episode once they have seen it.
IF YOU WANT TO AVOID SPOILERS, STAY AWAY FROM THIS THREAD AFTER MAY 25.

Here is the message to backers from Vic Mignogna:

"We are so honored to share this very special sneak peek preview of episode IV with you before the rest of the world gets to see it. **PLEASE PLEASE** do not share it with anyone else until after the public premiere. You guys deserve this for your generous donations to STC, so please keep it private and special until after May 29. It's just for you!"

Hey guys (Suffering Fools and Raymond)... thank you SO much for your enthusiasm! Just FYI, part of our understanding when we let financiers see the episode early is -- like with any TV production -- secrecy. I hope you guys understand, but we can't have discussion about the episode happening online -- here or anywhere else -- even with the tag "SPOILER ALERT" in the title. That's our arrangement with you guys, and what you're agreeing to when we send you the link and password.

I sincerely hope you enjoy the episode! Just please, please say nothing about it until after May 29.

My favorite part was when Superman flew the Israelites out of Egypt.

Hey guys (Suffering Fools and Raymond)... thank you SO much for your enthusiasm! Just FYI, part of our understanding when we let financiers see the episode early is -- like with any TV production -- secrecy. I hope you guys understand, but we can't have discussion about the episode happening online -- here or anywhere else -- even with the tag "SPOILER ALERT" in the title. That's our arrangement with you guys, and what you're agreeing to when we send you the link and password.

I sincerely hope you enjoy the episode! Just please, please say nothing about it until after May 29.

OK, absolutely. If that wasn't clear before, it certainly is now. We will say nothing until it goes public. Thanks. :vulcan:

Last edited:

OK, absolutely. If that wasn't clear before, but it certainly is now. We will say nothing until it goes public. Thanks. :vulcan:

Greg, maybe you should just delete this thread and I'll post a new one next week.

Naw, I think we're good. Everyone knows (at least now they do) not to discuss "The White Iris" until it has its public release--and even then spoiler tags are probably advisable.

Like they say: "It's all good."

I really hope that's a joke post and not legit spoilers without a spoiler tag.
Actually it's not that hard to imagine a story where some means are used to make Kirk reflect on past relationships. TFF used Sybok as a means to make people reflect on past events so maybe something similar is being done here?

Well no it wasn't a joke, you just have to go to IMDB to see the info for yourself.

But I went to the trouble of finding out how to insert spoiler tags just for you, even though I'm on the side of ''if you're so adamant about not reading ANY spoilage about whatever film/book/etc. before its release, then you probably should NOT websurf any page or thread discussing it...

It was my understanding that we weren't going to discuss the particulars of the fan film (as discussed a mere three or four posts before this one) until it had been in wide release.

Even though the information you shared is readily available on imdb.com, it's also rather spoiler-heavy information, hence my earlier post. I appreciate you taking the time to spoiler-code it all. I realize that must have taken quite a bit of time to do, even though I'm on the side of "It's patently ridiculous to expect someone to not use the internet, a basic tool of everyday society today, in order to avoid spoilers."

You have my sincere thanks and appreciation for your esteemed consideration.

STC themselves revealed who the characters played by these actresses are, I assume, to IMDB, just like they revealed Colin Baker had a role in their webisode on their Facebook account. What's the difference?

The difference is specifying a spoilerish character name to the actor. Up to yesterday or today, the character names for the guest actors have been blank in IMDB, and Colin's character still remains blank, as far as I know. They could have waited a couple more days to post them.

STC themselves revealed who the characters played by these actresses are, I assume, to IMDB, just like they revealed Colin Baker had a role in their webisode on their Facebook account. What's the difference?

The difference is specifying a spoilerish character name to the actor. Up to yesterday or today, the character names for the guest actors have been blank in IMDB, and Colin's character still remains blank, as far as I know. They could have waited a couple more days to post them.

IMDb entries are self-maintained. The individual actors may have entered the information themselves without any authorization or oversight from STC producers. The fact that character information might be leaking out on IMDb might not be at the behest of STC executive staff, and it might well be against their wishes.

The difference is this excerpt from the moderator of this forum, who posted this last week, on this very page:

Everyone knows (at least now they do) not to discuss "The White Iris" until it has its public release--and even then spoiler tags are probably advisable.

This was the understanding I came into this thread with.

And while it's also possible the names attached to the actors on IMDB are a misdirect (I don't know that the guys at STC are that clever, but I also don't put it past them), it just strikes me as rather needless to have posted them here without the spoiler code given the parameters GSchnitzer laid out earlier.

Sorry, but Greg was actually talking about the private episode showing from a few days ago, THIS is completely different.

I don't see how. Perhaps GSchnitzer could clarify this?

Well, what if I hadn't wanted to find out that Colin Baker was even IN this episode, are you going to scold all the posters who reported this info from STC's Facebook page, and all those who kept on waxing nostalgic about Baker and his days on Doctor Who?

See, now THAT is what's different. Not to split hairs, but I think it's one thing to announce an actor is going to appear, but it's quite another to reveal the character identities. Particularly when there's a group (in this case, the people at STC) who have made it abundantly clear they don't want people spoiling things before the public release of the episode. Also, as GSchnitzer pointed out -- it's also possble that the STC people weren't the ones updating the IMDB page with character names. IMDB takes like 2-4 weeks to update after you submit something to it, so given how top secret this whole thing has been, I doubt very much Vic or any of his people were the ones to input that info.

Anyway, I personally really don't mind knowing this info, as I'm now more curious what STC will do with these characters, and what the ''episode 4 will present something totally new and never-before-done'' claim leads to.

That's great! I do mind. And again, given that the seeming understanding in this thread was that we wouldn't be discussing the content of the episode (which I admit I foolishly and grieveously assumed would include such items as what supporting characters might appear in the show) I wish you'd have just put the items in question behind a spoiler tag. We're 24 hours away from the release. It wouldn't have been THAT big a deal.

It looks like the message was heard and it's been dealt with. The character names have been removed at IMDb. (Also my post on the STC fb page informing them of this has also been removed.)

Back