Star Trek Continues: Episode 3...

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Warped9, May 26, 2014.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In "Mirror, Mirror" they used stock fotage of the ship from WNMHGB, but evidently it was supposed to be a replica of the series production version of the ship only they couldn't afford to redo the markings and shoot new footage. Same way as TOS-R replaced stock footage of the pilot versions of the ship throughout the series.

More to the episode: THAT...FREAKIN'...ROCKED!!! They kept true to their word. There were no references to anything outside of "Mirror, Mirror."

This was a lot of fun. The Mirror Kirk really is an ass and it's hard to imagine this guy getting as far as he did in that universe.

I loved the little bit at the beginning where the Prime Kirk makes his pitch. Nicely done!

2. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

3 for 3. Nothing short of brilliant, and Doug Drexler's work is really outstanding.

Yancy

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Well one thing that jumped out, but was minor:

The Andorian ships and the class name are from Enterprise

On second watch through now.

4. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched it here...

I felt this was the weakest of the three episodes, but mainly because it was revisiting a part of Trek that I have always found to be silly.

That said, I was quite impressed with pretty much every aspect of the show from a technical perspective.

I did feel the story was weaker than the preceding efforts. I felt like Spock's timetable seemed less than believable given how Mirror, Mirror ended.

I did love the climactic scene towards the end. It's amazing what a well placed body can conceal!

5. The Transformed Man

Is that Bobby Rice (aka Peter Kirk from New Voyages) I spy as a transporter technician?

Yancy

6. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it.

Picking up the story on the mirror side where the original left off worked for me. It moved right along, and never felt forced.

Recreating the transporter room scene at the beginning was a nice touch, and I thought it was very well done.

The only thing I could find wrong was the way the shuttle doors closed in final scene.

Overall, great job. Though they are still finding their sea legs, STC has so far captured the look and feel of TOS better than any other independent production I've seen.

7. The Transformed Man

Absolutely love Michael Dorn's "cameo."

8. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

THIS!!!! ^^ :techman:

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Just finished watching this for a second time today. It's really well done. The Mirror Kirk is really an ass and it's not surprising most of the crew opt to follow Spock. Loved it!

All things considered STC is 3 for 3. Now I can't wait to see what's in store for Episode 4. I suspect they'll have another Kickstarter drive to fund the next three episodes. Or will that be that for episodes 5-7?

Spock's original estimate of how long the Empire could last was based on everything proceeding as usual. So from that standpoint the Andorian rebels could just as well be part of an already existing rebellion that the Empire saw as no serious threat.

But Mirror Spock's decision to act on Prime Kirk's "food for thought" throws Spock's earlier estimate out the window. Spock's actions and the crew hijacking the Enterprise could well be what really precipitates the Empire's downfall.

I have some very minor quibbles, but this was really well done.

10. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

A superb outing. Count me among those who believe Continues is batting a thousand so far.

Eagerly looking forward to their fourth episode.

11. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

I loved every frame of this episode. It didn't in any way feel like a retread. After this outing and "Lolani," I'm very confident in saying that -- in my personal opinion -- STC is the gold standard in Star Trek fan films. Absolutely phenomenal. Head-and-shoulders above all of Phase II's efforts not named "World Enough and Time."

A few things that stood out (not a formal review -- just some quick hits):

- The recreation of the final scene of "Mirror, Mirror" was very well done.

- As always, their recreation of the style of the original series (sets, lighting, direction, music, etc.) is incredible.

- The script was tight and compelling, making good use of every character. I also appreciate that they didn't try to shoehorn McKennah into a bigger role, which wouldn't have made sense since this takes places literally seconds after "Mirror, Mirror."

- Vic's Kirk and Chris Doohan's Scotty continue to be dead-on and pitch perfect. Note for note, they are the characters I know and love.

- This was by far Todd Haberkorn's best outing. He was a little flat in the first two episodes, but really finds himself here.

- Chuck Huber is a much better and more convincing McCoy (both in performance and physical appearance).

- Grant Imahara stepped up his game this episode. Wyatt Lenhart was also very convincing; I'm looking forward to more of him as Checkov.

- Amazing how much the actress portraying Marlena resembles the original.

- Someone mentioned not liking the shot of the shuttle doors closing in front of Kirk, but I loved it. Totally badass moment as Kirk's scream echoes.

Just wonderful. Really looking forward to their next episode already.

12. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally watching "Lolani" all the way through. Funny, but I see hints of Saffron in Lolani.

Intentional?

13. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just watched it.

Honestly, I felt like a kid again, on a Sunday afternoon in the early-mid-70's, watching Star Trek on channel 22, WWLP from Springfield, Massachusetts! :) The only thing missing in that regard was the 'snow' in the broadcast...but I didn't really mind not having to adjust the rabbit-ears this time around! :)

I can't adequately describe my appreciation of the 'sixties' approach to the camera work and story-telling. I also kept thinking "What Shatner could have done with this role!".

I'm not going to say anything else, other than to recommend watching it! :techman:

I may have to donate to these guys' cause...

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Chris Doohan is a near prefect copy of his father's Scotty; it's almost creepy (I mean that in a good way).

15. The Transformed Man

This +1000. My sentiments exactly.

Yancy

16. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Just finished watching it.

In my opinion it was the best STC episode yet. While I still think Todd Haberkorn lacks the physical presence for Spock, he did very well and I think this was the first time I really felt he nailed the role.

The story held together better for me than previous episodes, the message felt layered into the story more than slathered on top.

Good job and I look forward to the next outing.

17. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, honestly that is the way the doors worked, lol. If you look at the episode "Metamorphosis" when Kirk and company emerges from the shuttlecraft you can see the same unsmooth operation. Yes, we filmed with the original shuttlecraft and it was a blast!!! Glad you guys enjoyed the episode!

[​IMG]

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ You were able to use the actual original shuttlecraft mockup and green screened the rest? That's a story I'd like to hear--please tell. Awesome!

Wow! An actual original prop used in an STC episode?

19. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering how long that shuttlecraft lie dormant and rotting outdoors, it looks like it came back to life just in time! :)

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The...original...Galileo?...I may just faint.