Star Trek: CAPTAIN PIKE

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Bixby, May 6, 2015.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

What "production values"? Are people really that wowed by a couple of lens flared CGI backdrops?

Warped9 likes this.
  2. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nitpicking would be to say: ''Doctor McCoy is missing his pinky ring'', or ''Scotty has his slicked back 3rd season hairdo rather than his shaggy moptop from 2nd season''. I'm giving my impression that the two characters are acting outside of their established personalities and relationship from the Cage. If I was pointing out that Superman in whatever movie sequel was acting more like the lewd, foul-mouthed, decidedly-selfish Jim Carrey/Mask character than the established Man of Steel, that would ALSO not be nitpicking...please learn the difference.
    And Spock was a lower-ranked junior officer in the Cage, and if even his actual executive officer did not address him with familiarity, I highly doubt Spock would. The only character to speak that way to Pike was doctor Boyce.
    Also, I did not say that Spock would ''never'' refer to Pike as Chris, but I fail to see the much younger Spock of the Cage era doing so (by the way, unless the filmmakers have changed their plans, they mentioned intending to set their episode during the battle of Rigel 7 period, which PREDATES the Cage)

And sorry for the production value comment, Maurice. I was referring to their costumes and what to me appears to be decent lighting and set.

uniderth likes this.
  3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Except Spock and Kirk are more contempories in age and experience rather than Spock and Pike where Pike was not only senior in rank (by quite a margin) yet also in age and experience. Also, given general Vulcan behaviour, a use of first name is much more likely to occur between close friends. My impression of the Spock-Pike relationship was that Spock respected and admired and was fiercely loyal to Pike, but they weren't friends like what came to exist between Spock and Kirk and in extent McCoy.

BillJ likes this.
  4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

No "sorry" necessary. Thanks for clarifying.

Speaking of clarifying. I was just expressing how I am mystified when people are seemingly wowed by stuff that is—to my eye—blandly shot material buried under 5 layers of digital vaseline. I understand that fans have limited budgets and resources, so I don't expect Hollywood quality, yet some people act as if such efforts were as good as something shot by Haskell Wexler. :)

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

My 'nitpicking' observation was in regards to:
    - and even then, that question in and of itself is not an invalid question per se ;)

6. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

On the one hand the scene looked bland but in other areas shown on social media this is interesting. It will be weird seeing familiar faces in new roles but the cast is impressive.

Also FINALLY Gabe Koerner's Enterprise (which I love) is getting a life outside a bunch of concept renderings, the visuals don't seem to be as strictly sticking to the 60s as some other projects. That's an interesting thing to me there are some good pictures on social media.

I'm on the fence with this one.

7. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

The Captain Pike of the Cage was beat down and either gonna break and rebound into something better (which he did thanks to the Talosians, as it was a pilot we have no idea how Jeffery Hunter would of developed the character, that said, we do know how Spock evolved I would expect the Spock we saw in the regular series and not the Vulcan, who smiles when touching the chuckle patch and yells when the women beam out without him.

Maybe he was cold, or it is a character choice, in one of the novels Captain April had some minor disease and wore a cardigan as opposed to taking medication.

I guess they are not going to challenge themselves to the confines of the original sets, ...ok..I never felt that Enterprise created such confines (in some case I wish they did, but) in most cases I did not care and the TOS Enterprise had windows we only ever saw the one in the Cage, So let's wait and see how this shakes out...Heck he can fight a Sith lord on Moon Base Alpha , while hunting down a replicant if the story is good and the acting decent, I 'll be happy.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Neither is a criticism, just curious as to the creative decisions.

9. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Has this ever been established? If we are going by the ages of the actors Leonard Nimoy was about 33 during the of "The Cage", and 35 during the regular series. Yet "The Cage" and the first season take place about thirteen years apart. That means that Spock is either 33 in "The Cage" and 46 in the First Season, or he is 22 in "The Cage" and 33 in the First Season. Just based on appearance I think Spock being 33 in "The Cage" is the correct choice. He certainly doesn't look 22.

I think the assumption that Vulcanians appear to age slower over their 200 year lifespan, is more reasonable than assuming they age unusually fast in their younger years?

Is there any other onscreen evidence that pins down Spock's age?

I don't recall a window in "The Cage."

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In "The Menagerie" Mendez identidies Spock as "a young half Vulcan Scirnce Officer on his first deep space mission." at the time the Enterprise first went to Talos IV. At that time Pike was in his mid to late thirties.

One can try to rationalize the scene all one wants, but for me it doesn't work and is unconvincing.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The "Chris" feels wrong to me. But young for Vulcans and young for humans may not equate to being the same age.

12. uniderth

Warped9, I don't mean to call you out, but I think you've mixed up a few scenes. These lines are from "The Menagerie" Part 1 and 2:

MENDEZ: With a half Vulcan science officer named Spock.

KIRK (voice Over): ...actual images from thirteen years ago of Captain Pike as he was when he commanded this vessel, of Spock in those days, and of how the Enterprise had become the first and only starship to visit Talos Four.

These are from "Obsession":

SPOCK: Fortunately, I read somewhat faster. In brief, Doctor, nearly half the crew and the captain were annihilated. The captain's name was Garrovick.
    MCCOY: The same as our Ensign.
    SPOCK: His father. Among the survivors was a young officer on his first deep-space assignment, James T. Kirk. And there is still more. I suggest you study this.

If I recall correctly I don't think there was anything specifying an age in the Star Trek series. But there could be something in TNG or the movies. I'll have to check it out.

BoredShipCapt'n likes this.
  13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is the first I've come across this one. The scene was OK for a fan film, and interested me enough I'll at least keep following this thread.

14. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

by his bed, they warped out the stars in the remaster, but either way there was a window at the head of his bed

[​IMG]

15. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Everyone has already dealt with the two characters in their scene but I am more of a hardware guy.

I like the panning shot of the hull exterior and then the cut to the interior scene but one thing I noticed- the windows do not match in either proportion or detail. THe exterior one is wider and the ends are full half circles, the interior is narrower and the ends are two arcs wit a sharp corner. I do find it a bit jarring since the whole set up was to show where you were in the ship but the differences work against that.

16. uniderth

Interesting, because when I watch that scene it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

To me it seems that either because of the strange coloring, odd transparent material in front, or even the freakishly thin hull on the remastered version; it isn't a window. Perhaps some sort of mood lighting panel, or digital painting.

17. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good point.
    I never noticed that, and I'm on this bed all the time.

18. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

looks like a window treatment to me, , there is a monitor in the middle of the room and since they cgi'ed the star field over it I gotta hold firm on this.

19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep - even back in 1964 they used blue and green screen; so it looks like they had that there to do a greenscreen effect - but for either time or budget reasons in 1964 - didn't and figure - Hey it's science fiction, the audience will come up with their own idea as to a window/port that green above/over the bed."

The remastered folks just decided to do that effect when they redid the stuff in 2004.

20. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    I tbought green screen was a more recent development (Wikipedia says 70's), could it have been used in 1964?