Star Trek: CAPTAIN PIKE

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Bixby, May 6, 2015.

1. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

'Star Trek Continues' stands out well from the cloud of these Fan Productions- they match not only the lighting and cinematography of the TOS shows, but also in the look and feel. The three episodes created so far really look like the unseen fourth season of that show.

2. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

STC surely gets the lighting and mood pretty good, but I can´t get a grip on their actors. I like Phase II a lot better, even if it might not be that polished. But this thread is about the Pike project...

3. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

I'm talking about this single production, but I prefer to refer to it as an independent film. I guess James Cawley is right. It's hard to make your intentions clear on a message board.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  4. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

I have to agree with you on Phase II vs Continues, Continues has the look, but I find Phase II has done better on stories.

As for the Pike project, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want them all. I want every fan film to succeed, even the ones I'm not particularly fond of.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Thank you for the clarification. Yeah, sometimes words alone aren't quite enough to convey one's meaning. I think we've all been there.

6. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

Yet another ship, yet another crew. What's that? You have some professional actors in it? That's great! All it means is that you have some skills networking and some money to pay them.

Until there's an actual reason to care, no thanks.

7. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With 8 days to go, looks like they've got 52 000$ out of a hoped-for $112 Gs already pledged. Also it was announced a few days ago that Walter Koenig has agreed to join the production, firstly as the new co-writer.

If they can jettison all that balderdash about showing Pike and Spock on their first mission together, the silly soap operatic friction between Pike Senior and junior...just start out like the Cage and Where no man has gone before: jump right in to a new adventure and forget the fanwank...

I think I speak for most of us, for the next Batman and Spider-Man movies, we don't need to once again be shown how Bruce Wayne's parents were shot by a crook, and for Peter to be bitten by that radioactive spider.

8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

This franchise is a space opera, not a hard-sci-fi project. If you two can't accept the fact that this is what Star Trek is about most of the time, maybe you two should stick to reading said hard sci-fi instead.

9. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

You know what, I don't mind the space battle fan films, they're at least more visually interesting than the "I'm not worthy to command," "yes you are," ones.

Space battles aren't the only thing you can do in a Star Trek fan film, but for me the failure mode is more forgiving than in a morality play. With space battles it's bright lights and explosions, with morality plays it's heavy-handed exposition.

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

They have a little less then half (112k) of what they were asking, with 6 days left on Kickstarter. I wonder if they will cancel the project if they don't reach their goals. They should have used Indiegogo, then they could have keep the funds donated even if unsuccessful. They definitely need to work on the marketing aspects if they try again (assuming the Kickstarter is unsuccessful that is). Having for celebs onboard is not enough, you have to show you have people that have experience making these types of film. That's why P2, Continues, Axanar and Renegades are successful with theirs.

11. Bixby

We are talking about Captain Pike from ''The Cage'', right?:vulcan:

And no, I happen to like SOME starship and phaser battles (I repeat, ''SOME!) in my Trek, but for someone to wish to do a film with good guy VS bad guy chasing\blasting each other to kingdom come as the entree, main course AND dessert...that's just lazy, ugly-ass writing...you may as well just make a video game...

12. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They ran out of time today with only a little over 2/3 raised, but announced that they will start over on Indiegogo later this month.

13. DrOBoogie1

DrOBoogie1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I hope they are successful; this sounds like a great project. It has to be difficult, though, since there are so many crowd-funded (or in these cases, fan-funded) films out there. There's only so much even Star Trek's legion of fans can do.

14. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Indiegogo campaign has begun.

15. JE Smith

JE Smith Commander Red Shirt

Not to pick on this production in particular, but it amazes me that CBS allows this kind of thing. It's one thing to turn a blind eye to a COMPLETED production that already exists... but to have people, in a very public way, jumping up and down and saying "Give me MONEY so I can make some unauthorized STAR TREK!!" Very strange.

16. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

Move along, nothing to see here. This has been going on with fan films for a couple of years.

17. Bixby

Looks like this production is still chugging along. Oh and they have a teaser trailer (a real trailer! :) )up on YouTube, and their recent Indiegogo page...

(By the way, interesting comments by Walter Koenig on that Indiegogo page, check it out)

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl2y3zZDJqE[/yt]

18. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

And it appears the Indiegogo campaign met its goal.

19. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

I wonder what the next two campaign goals will be as he is financing the first 30 min of the 90 min film ....

20. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Not digging the JJ lens flare look.