Spoilers Star Trek: Boldly Go Comic Series Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by mattman8907, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I remember that the West End RPG (among other sources) had the journey from Tatooine to Alderaan in ANH taking place over something like 10-12 days, which would give Luke a bit of time to get some rudimentary training from Obi-Wan prior to the Death Star. Can't remember if subsequent sources used this timeframe or not, though.

Though I do recall the Falcon's journey from the Anoat system to Bespin in ESB taking something like two months according to the novels, using its backup hyperdrive, overlapping with Luke's sojourn on Dagobah.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I didn't realize those trips were supposed to have taken that long. I had just assumed they were hours at most.

3. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, we see in ROTJ that the Rebel Fleet's transit-time from the Sullust system to Endor was maybe hours at most (with the fleet departing as Han and Leia's group begin their advance upon the bunker), implying a short distance between those two systems, but there are other times when a lengthier timeframe can be justified for plot-reasons (such as the Bespin/Anoat-trip).

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

So is there anyplace that I can subscribe to a physical version of Boldly Go?

5. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Try your local comic book shop. They probably have a subscription service. Most shops do.

6. BillJ

Starting to seem like an expensive hassle at this point (after Googling around). I'll just wait and buy the tradepaperback. Amazon will ship it to my house for free.

7. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Well the damage the Millennium Falcon sustained in The Empire Strikes Back is acknowledged to impact its speed. Boba Fett in the Slave I outraced them, regrouped with Vader's forces, and made it to Bespin to set up a trap all before Han and co. could arrive.

8. BillJ

Found the first issue, subscription cover. Interesting read.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, it only looks smaller because it's "far, far away..."

10. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Makes me think of Ad herennium somehow - smaller/top-down/simpler is easier to mentally construct:

11. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Outside of some minor disappointment about the probably villain of this lead-off, I thought this issue was nice and refreshing. It felt more polished than some of the earlier nuTrek comics, and there was a lightness about it from the art. Really neat. I have to say that the Post-STID comics certainly buoyed my interest in Beyond, and then Beyond sent me right back to the comics for the Spock letter and the two crews. But I'm much more excited for these stories.

12. wayne39

wayne39 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

13. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

Just got issue #2. Holy crap. I had a feeling
    That the crew of the concord would be turned in borg as well but i feel bad for Captain Terrell, he can't seem to catch a break in any reality.

I also hope that they will reference Captain Archer's "Encounter" with the borg in the episode "Regeneration". I'm still curious as why the Borg are making their way into the Alpha Quadrant now.

I liked that the Vulcan elder from the "Legacy of Spock" arc made a return appearance.

the Bad: No Chekov or Scotty in this issue.

14. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I read it too
    that panel where
    they show the crew of the concord getting assimilated disturbed me. It's just the idea...this villain had always been the most disturbing to me. I know that after the damage it's still possible to 'restore' the victims to their real selves someway but still...
    The thing Uhura and Spock discovered about the vulcan ship that vanished is intriguing and no doubt has something to do with the borgs and we might get some plot twist about them in this reality. But everything I could think about, seeing the cover of the fourth issue and its summary: oh dear don't leave new vulcan guys!

15. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Still not thrilled about the choice of villain. Not quite as polished as the first issue, but interesting none the less. The Vulcan Elder's Dame Judi Dench likeness was perhaps a little detrimental.

Nyotarules likes this.
  16. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

The one thing I do like about this series is the fact that everyone took different assignments and the threat of the Borg (sounds swedish to me. LOL) is what is bringing the crew back together. Though I think Scotty will take a back seat cause he's on earth.

17. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Just read the second edition, jumping the gun 100 years early with the Borg well at least if Captain reboot Janeway gets lost it won't take her 70 years to get home. As for Sulu's family this is why children cannot live on a starship, its a military vessel. And to think the Vulcans reached the Delta quadrant before she did! lol

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the Narada was mentioned and how the Borg ship is heading to where it emerged into the 23rd-century, I wonder if it has something to do with that ship which, if I'm remembering Countdown correctly, was built with Borg tech. It could be that its arrival in the 2230s sent out some sort of siren lure to the Borg in the Delta Quadrant, and they've sent a ship to investigate, and its taken it thirty years to arrive.

Markonian and BillJ like this.
  19. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

No assimilation tubules, eh? I suppose the writers have to do something to bring the Borg down to a defeatable level.

20. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral