Spoilers STAR TREK BEYOND

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

This gives me a lot of hope that the feel of the film will be consistent with the first two.

Just hopefully a few less lens flares.

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

If he can come up with anything for STB like "Enterprising Young Men" from ST09, or "London Calling" from STID, that will be fine with me. I really like his main Trek score, too.

No worries, I don't think Lin has the flair for it. :p

3. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I have really enjoyed Michael Giacchino's scores for Trek and glad to hear he's getting a third go.

He's still a bit of a chameleon as a composer - The Incredibles quoted so much from Bond and Mission: Impossible. His Trek scores take from Goldsmith, Horner and others, as well as his wonderful take on Courage's TOS theme at the end of both Abrams' movies. Jurrassic World was rather bland, but had its moments and took from Williams in style and in a few actual cues from the original soundtrack.

I'll have to pick up Tomorrowland and Jupiter Ascrending.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whoah! I didn't know hope had been lost...;)

I have always enjoyed Giacchiano's scores (especially Trek and didn't know he did Incredibles. I thoroughly enjoyed Lost World.

Glad he is back!

5. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Giacchino is back. I am sad.

6. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

He has his moments, but not all of his scores are mind-blowers. Suffice to say he's been in my top five since the first Medal of Honor game.

OTOH, I kinda wish thet'd let Hans Zimmer take a crack at this one...:alienblush:

7. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh good, Giachinno is still here.

At least he seems to know that us Trekkies demand quality soundtracks.

8. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The nuTrek theme is fantastic, so I'm happy he's back. Wonder if he can top the amazing STID title card sequence!

9. Campe

Ah. I see what you did there. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  10. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Good god, no!

11. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you ever tried setting the STXI trailer to the Man of Steel soundtrack? It works surprisingly well. Of course he's also very hit-or-miss...

In other news, I took somebody's advice and watched the "Warp shootdown scene" from STID with "The Doomsday Machine" theme playing in the background. Makes me wonder if we could get away with a modern retread of the classic TOS soundtrack after all.

12. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a comment I read once in a review of one of Giacchino's soundtracks that said (paraphrased) that he can write a killer 30 second melody but has no idea where to take it after that. I didn't think much about it at the time, but it clearly lodged in my brain because every time I hear a new bit of Giacchino score my mind flashes back to that middling review.

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

14. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

I'd like to hear someone try.
    Actually Giacchino did work some Amok Time elements into the Spock/Khan chase-scene music and they worked very nicely.

This is perhaps very accurate. 30 seconds is probably good enough for great action music, and he does write good action music, but it's also very repetitive (and not in the good Goldsmith-way) and gets old very fast.

The Tomorrowland score that was mentioned a few days ago is a good example. The not-quite Enterprising Young Men element in all the action tracks is very good, very driving, but by god does he overuse it.

15. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Those are great. The "problem" is that the rest is kind of forgettable; not boring but... "meh"... when listened to on their own without the pictures they were intended for to enhance.

16. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is my problem with him. He can come up with the bits, but he can't combine and develop the bits into a greater structure. Instead he just keeps hammering the same riffs home with little variation or sense of direction (except getting louder). Even changing key seems to be something he has tremendous difficulty with.

17. Campe

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's very nice :bolian: And funny.

Also, I got so used to seeing Pine with a beard the last couple of years and now he looks so young again in this.

19. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Is that forked corridor a new addition to the set?

20. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Pines rocking the TOS kirk hairdo at last (after that inverted STID one)