Spoilers STAR TREK BEYOND

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another spoiler-free review of Beyond.

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/4rnwaz/spoilerfree_thoughts_on_star_trek_beyond/

2. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Non-spoiler.

4. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. Shalashaska

Whoops. I didn't know two different sites would have the same review.

6. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've started another thread where you can pose specific questions about the film and I'll do my best to answer spoiler free. The full synopsis is probably on iMDB by now anyway.

7. Shalashaska

More from the link I posted:

8. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

photon70 likes this.
  9. Shalashaska

10. Shalashaska

11. AndyPandy

It's revealed in the first five minutes of the film - and only hinted at. Open to interpretation.

12. AndyPandy

Let me just warn you all - don't go looking for spoilers. I promise you all that you're going to enjoy this film much more when you recognise something that you remember from your Series-watching days - I can ASSURE you that I wouldn't have enjoyed the film if I had access to the spoilers I now know many of you won't be able to resist.

13. AndyPandy

I correct myself - I'd have enjoyed it 90% as much as I did, I just know it's MORE enjoyable without spoilers.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Keep in mind that ST:TMP and the 2009 Bad Robot movie are probably a tie as my favourite movies of all time. I was also one of the fans who really enjoyed "Into Darkness", although on premiere night I was sitting with three friends, two of whom were a bit antsy after Cumberbatch revealed himself. But I enjoyed it very much.

I'm also a fan a bit disillusioned by the mindless action sequences in "Man of Steel" and "Batman v Superman", but I've never had a problem with JJ's action sequences in the first two Trek movies. I've never seen a Justin Lin film before.

I am still grinning from seeing "Star Trek Beyond". Loved the script, although a few twists were reminiscent of things that have been tried before in Trek novels (sort of). Some really fun callbacks to TOS (even musical cues), especially from McCoy, some tear-jerking moments and several sequences which were kept totally under wraps (including the prologue).

[​IMG]
    Ian and friends at Star Trek Beyond
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

(For those planning to boycott: HA! Your loss!)

15. AndyPandy

Feel free to boycott if you're hoping for four hours exploring the intricacies of interstellar democracy as seen from the perspective of the Starfleet JAG.

Ovation, Campe and Franklin like this.
  16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just want a fun two hour Star Trek adventure with my favourite crew. I think I'm going to like it.

17. Therin of Andor

The Telstra public preview was at 1.30pm in the CBD, the Q&A was a few blocks away and started at 4.30pm and didn't disband until almost 6pm, then most of the fans raced off to cars, taxis and buses to attend the Blue Carpet gala premiere, a little way out of the city centre, and to see the film for a second time.

They probably went straight home to bed! It's now just after 1.30am the next morning!

photon70, Malaika and RAMA like this.
  18. Therin of Andor

There was no review embargo on Australia's premiere of "Star Trek Into Darkness" and I think a lot of negative energy started to be generated from US fans jumping up and down about the first reviews they were getting from Australia. I was in the cinema and felt that everyone was having a great time, yet by the time I got home and checked out TrekBBS, that movie was being torn to shreds by people who hadn't seen it, or were boasting they would not be seeing it. STiD did really well internationally, which is why it premiered Down Under in the first place: to boost the international performance.

Sometimes it's definitely better to remain spoiler-free. "Star Trek Beyond" is probably the most spoiler-free Trek film for me ever! And I'm so glad.

For TMP, I'd read the novelization. For ST III, Australians had a six-month delay in it hitting our cinemas. (Again, I read the novelization first.) For all the other films, I either spoiled myself compiling our club newsletters' sealed section, or stupidly read leaked script drafts ("Generations", "First Contact").

Malaika likes this.
  19. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

yeah, the same exact thing happened to a friend who went to the premiere in Australia for stid. There was a definite disconnect between what they perceived there from everyone and what some were starting to say on the internet.

20. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was fortunate enough to see it twice today.

I swore an oath to Starfleet that I wouldn't share any spoilers, but I will happily report this much : it is by far the best of the three films. It's fast and furious, but is filled with moments of just pure Trek magic for fans of TOS and Enterprise. They got the balance just right. I haven't walked out of a Trek film this happy since First Contact way back in 1996! Well done Justin Lin and team. You'd be hard to please if you don't enjoy this one.