Star trek Beyond disc sales

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Exactly so. It's apples and oranges and that's why not a single entertainment trade site or magazine adds the two figures together.

2. Space Coast

Space Coast Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's not much, but considering Star Trek had to compete against a Star Wars film (which it has NEVER done well against), it isn't surprising either.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Actually you're wrong yet again and not paying attention or not comprehending, As I've pointed out, these numbers add up to secondary revenue, there is an avg quantity that a $100+ blockbuster makes according to the site I posted on the Beyond thread during the summer.

Disc sales traditionally make up one of the largest segments. As we all know physical optical disc sales are slowing in North America(though generally internationally they are increasing). ST09 made $200 million, STID $80 million, and I expected Beyond to make $45-50 million. No one expected Beyond to make a huge amount from optical discs, however, they do contribute a nice sum to the overall revenue, which is why I combine that particular part with box office gross.

Also, international numbers are not counted, though those avg numbers were in the article I linked to about secondary revenue. We do not normally see these numbers broken down. My guess they might add $20+ million to the Beyond total, bringing it to the $400 million range.

We also have to count the huge merchandising deal with China, the largest ever of it''s kind for the franchise. I'm guessing that brings the rights total before merchandise sales to over $500 million.

I haven't even accounted for digital sales or streaming, which to some extent are replacing disc sales. All in all, not only was Beyond Paramount's biggest movie of 2016, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

RAMA

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Not all this again rama. Of course you're right. Heck, while we're at it why don't we add television and streaming royalties, or soundtrack sales, or comic book and video game sales? Or those Kre-O and Mega Bloks construction sets? Or the popcorn and sodas sold at cinemas? I'm sure that if we add everything STB is well over $1 billion! Beyond is God's Gift to Mankind! :techman:

BillJ likes this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

As always, we'll know if Beyond made "enough" when we either hear more about the next one, or if it quietly goes the way of the Terminator: Genisys sequels. Until then, all we have is JJ's and Paramount's pre-Beyond announcement, and the recent (if vague) mention of more Star Trek being part of Paramount's plans.

Smellmet likes this.
  6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

You're finally correct. Network rights, etc are all part of secondary revenue that the studio cares about, but moviegoers don't.

So Beyond will make upwards of $500-600 million within 2 years of release, and royalties, etc stretch over a longer period of time. It could eventually make significantly more than that, as you point out.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Of course that means Star Wars has done $10 billion under that formula, and Trek still looks like its playing to a half-full high school auditorium.

A hundred-million dollars is a pretty big gap. If its at roughly $375-400 million right now, there's no way it makes it to $500 million. FX paid 12% of the domestic gross for the rights to the first two films. Twelve percent of $180 million is about $22 million.

It probably ends up around $475 million. Which is a huge disappointment, any way you slice it. Even $500-600 million is a pretty big disappointment. When all is said and done.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Star Wars is it's own animal, it's less important what SW makes and more important what Beyond brings in for the studio. Several hundred million after the box office is not a trivial amount.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Knock it off, both of you. Whatever issue is going on between you, get it sorted somewhere else - it needs to stop popping up Every. Single. Time. the two of you post in the same thread.

no_pda.jpg

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Beyond disc sales are up to $34,703,631. 55% increase in bluray sales from last week, No DVD reports since the 12/4/16 report, so its behind the bluray total by 3 weeks.

11. BillJ

Um... if it ends at $475 million, it will have collected less than $100 million post-box office. Even $600 million isn't "several hundred million". Plus, we have no idea how big Alibaba's share of that pie is.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

13. BillJ

14. BillJ

And even if every dime Alibaba (and the other Chinese partner whose name escapes me at the moment) paid is free-and-clear profit for Beyond, does anyone believe they are going to stride up and write the same big fat check for the next film after the underperformance of the last film around the world?

The fact of the matter is that Beyond badly under-performed at the box office. That is where this all matters ("Paramount's highest grosser!!!" is fan non-sense). Yes, eventually it will make money. But, the under-performance at the box office is what Paramount is looking at. They want everything post-box office to be gravy.

15. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

I'd say it's a fact that Beyond under performed, but it was by no means a disaster. It should easily have cleared $400 million, its faliure to do so is very disappointing. However, it is a fact that it was Paramount Pictures highest grossing film, and it will break even with cinema and disc sales. In fact, it will likely make a tasty profit over the course of the next 20 odd years as it's re-released in various formats and box sets. Even Nemesis has likely turned more money now than the largely forgotten 'Main in Manhatten', which beat it to the top of the charts way back when.

STID did terrific business on Digital downloads when it was released - 3rd highest gross in 2013:
    http://articles.latimes.com/2014/feb/14/entertainment/la-et-ct-2103-top-ten-digital-movies-20140214

I cannot find figures for Beyond yet, but even if they're half as good as STID's, then that'll be a nice chunk of change.
    So, I'd be AMAZED if we aren't treated to another installment. Just not one with such a whopping price tag!

16. BillJ

I thought both Into Darkness and Beyond should've done business in the $500 million to 600 million dollar bracket. I thought both deserved to better than they did.

I just don't see any momentum for a fourth film. Into Darkness did nearly $500 million worldwide, had the hanging plot threads about the Augments, Section 31 and a Klingon-Federation war. Beyond stumbled badly at the box office, which is liable to drive away financing partners and there's nothing to really build off of for a next film.

Smellmet likes this.
  17. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

I was also surprised that Beyond didn't pick up on the threat of War with the Klingons. I don't really want a war trek film, but they could've been trying to annexe a Federation planet, or sponsoring terrorist acts on Yorktown. The film could have had an allegorical story like STID and Trek could have tried to build a connected universe like Marvel or DC.

For me, Beyond felt small scale in comparison to the previous films, both of which made bold artistic choices. Beyond felt like it was made by comittee. Still,I enjoyed it for what it was.

18. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

That's it - they had momentum and a decent level of mainstream interest, and sacrificed it to appeal to a fanbase which has been dwindling for 25 years.

There was a chance to be really bold and push on with a direct sequel.

Instead, they made a very safe film to try to win back fans - many of whom would never give it much of a chance anyway - and took away some of its mainstream appeal. It was damned by lukewarm reviews. The most telling was one I heard on the radio - that it would satisfy fans, but not bring in new ones. That about summed it up.

Hell, I loved Beyond - it's one of my favourite Trek films - but I hate that it has left the Kelvin films, and Trek films in general, in a precarious position.

shapeshifter and BillJ like this.
  19. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Totally agree. As much as I enjoyed the film - I rank it up with the very best Trek movies, it's hard to see where things can go from here. The 'self contained' nature of the story has painted them into a corner somewhat I believe.

20. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

I have to respectfully disagree here. Our heroes have a new ship, and they're still on their five-year mission in deep space. They can go anywhere they want and encounter anything they want.

The only way they should be constrained is if the creative team is unimaginative or afraid of taking risks, or both.

The literally have the entire galaxy and a new flagship to play with.