Star Trek 4 Hits A Snag

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Doc Mugatu, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Picard is confirmed, Trek 4 has hit a brick wall.

2. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

As I said before, I hope everything works out.

3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Except I have been watching Trek since 1973, in all its on-screen iterations (more than once, including DSC) and count the Abrams' produced films among my favourite--with STiD as number one on the list, and '09 a close second. And I enjoy them for their character development well above their VFX.

I am of the firm conviction that any creative endeavour should be whatever the artist (in the broadest sense of the term--includes writers, composers, directors, etc.) wants to put out. The artist owes me nothing other than the thing itself (a book, a play, a concert, a film, etc.). I am NOT entitled to be satisfied with the result. Of course, the artist is not entitled to praise or support, either. If the artist is working "by poll", then it's not really her or his creation, is it?

Same thing applies to governing. I vote for representatives to govern, based on what they say they will do if elected. I do NOT want them to poll me (or the public) every five minutes. They have a job. There is a review (at the next election). I am not compelled to blindly continue to support a political party or an artist if they fail to meet my expectations. They are not compelled to consult with me for everything they propose to do, either.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Since we already have a thread discussing that particular article, I'm going to merge this one with that one.

Hold onto your drinks...

5. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's time to let this cast go. It has been ten years. It's time for something new and something fresh!

mos6507 likes this.
  6. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the last three didn’t break any records, I could see why Paramount aren’t as willing to give away excessive salaries to the actors.

7. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know a lot of people getgexcited about these films, and I have been myself in the past. But for me, it was only because they seemed like all Trek we would ever get. With Discovery filming the second season, and the Picard series confirmed (as well as the likelihood of more new series as CBSAA want something Trek all year round) it doesn't bother me if Beyond was the last of the Kelvinverse. I think Beyond was the high point for me anyway. I've long felt these films seemed more like a homage to Star Trek than actually being Star Trek anyway. In spite of its flaws, and some nostalgia pandering, I think Disco is a much more worthy successor than the these ever were. And I'm very excited about Picard's impeding return and future tv outings to be too worried. Besides, we already lost Yelchin due to his freak, tragic car accident, so we would have no Chekov anyway. (I'm sure I heard they wouldn't recast him).

8. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I absolutely respect what you're saying here, and to the largest extent I agree. However, I feel that *occasionally* a poll has some value. Not "every five minutes".

What we have right now is a situation in which the producers come across as being largely in a closed room shut away from any serious and meaningful feedback. Social media has its distortions and box office numbers represent 'raw data' without any personality or context. *Sometimes* an anonymous in-depth survey can have some good value because people can voice what they really feel without revealing themselves....it can be even more of a 'comfort level' than sitting behind a screen name and an avatar on a message board.

Should a survey / poll be the sole basis for moving forward in a particular direction? Absolutely not. It should be an occasionally used tool to put additional information onto the creative table to supplement everything else that is considered.

Back in the TOS movie era, there was an old quote somewhere from one of the powers that be of the time, to the effect of, 'If we incorporated fan input into this process, the result would be impossibly expensive to produce and it would also be a complete disaster at the box office because fans have no concept of what non-fans want in a film.'

That is lumping all fans in together and stereotyping them. It's as if they believe that all fans are gushing, foaming-at-the-mouth costume and prop junkies who go to conventions just to slobber all over everyone and everything. Time to realize it's no longer the 70s. :lol:

Today, Kurtzman claims that his team includes numerous "fans". That doesn't have a lot of meaning without any context. Are they pretty much aligned in a single direction, without a balance of varied opinions?

Politicians are not constantly seeking constituent input on every little thing. But, from time to time, they do hold town meetings so that they are not completely out of touch with the concerns of the public.

9. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

How much do you think Hemsworth was paid for Ghostbusters? Couldn't have been Marvel-levels.

How much they're asking for is a function of how much they think they are worth AND how much they like the project.

Pine in particular has already done 3 movies. JJ is long gone. One of his costars is dead. Beyond underperformed. Discovery and Picard-hype are eating into mindshare. Unless we're talking about the Tarantino project I would understand why Pine would not be willing to take it on the chin and do another Trek on the cheap.

I really think the Kelvin franchise is on life-support at this point.

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  10. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's my understanding that everyone else in the cast is signed up and with/without the two Chris' Paramount are proceeding ahead on this film. And they really have no choice, Paramount has to keep making new films or they won't get a piece of the Star Trek pie. The same is true of Sony (and before their impending merger with Disney), Fox who continue to pump out Spider-Man and X-Men films, if they don't, they lose the rights.

11. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

It's not about them being greedy. It's no different from the government not giving in to terrorist demands. If they agree to a pay cut when they were already in contract, then any other studio who hires them knows they can get away with the same thing.

12. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

1. I'm not surprised at this at all. This almost is non-news.
    2. It's too bad...I'm disappointed...but ultimately (and maybe surprisingly?) I really don't care.
    3. This movie franchise has been grossly mis-managed. They had a great breakthrough in 2009, and then proceeded to lose all the momentum with how long it took to get Into Darkness out and how polarizing that film was. Then they took forever to launch Beyond, and marketed it about as effectively and colorfully as a treatment for Herpes Simplex 2.

I liked these movies, saw them all on opening night, and all more than once.

But, I think it's over.

I'd rather focus on Kurtzman Trek on CBSAA now.

SpocksOddSocks and Grendelsbayne like this.
  13. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Not a chance. Speak to just about anyone under 35 and they won't even know who Picard and the borg are.

14. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much.

The length of time since Nemesis for Stewart and even more so with Shatner and Generations....as Stephen King says in his Dark Tower series, "The world has moved on...."

Smellmet likes this.
  15. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I disagree. It honestly feels like this cast barely got a chance. After 3 movies, I can honestly say this trek hadn't fully reached all the potential the first one created. I'm still waiting for an actual sequel, in a way. I don't really think they had a great conclusion with beyond because they barely did anything new with these characters... it always feels like they barely started the mission. I wish to see more of the dynamics too, to know more about these characters.
    There is still a lot of potential this reboot can create for next generation trek movies and spin offs if they want to. Of course, until we are still stuck in tos nostalgia and using this cast as a living 'homage' to the tos one, this reboot will never be allowed to truly be its own thing and what, I think, it was supposed to be at the beginning.

Hollywood reporter is ambiguous about this point because one phrase seems to suggest that the deals for the other cast members are problem-free, and thus already closing, but another phrase seems to suggest that the deal-making process for them will start only after they resolve this issue with the two Chris. It isn't clear.

ominous_thunk likes this.
  16. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

There probably wouldn't have been another one after 4 anyway. We're just saying goodbye to this cast sooner than we than expected if 4 doesn't happen.

The Tarantino movie was unlikely to be tied to these movies. It might not even be tied to the tv show for all we know.

mos6507 likes this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Box office poison.
    This.

saddestmoon and pst like this.
  18. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lol, everything you said, was wrong. Studio has a contract and is now trying to reneg. Pine is not asking for more, he is asking for originally promised account. No one else took a pay cut. And wtf does Paramount want Hemsworth? Oh because he is fucking Thor and they want a super star to attract people to their movie. So that’s fine, pay them the money. If Paramount wants them on the cheap, who is being greedy here? They want to have their superstars and not pay them promised money? I say good for the Chrises. Walk away.

19. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I've said it on another thread and I'll say it here.

It's Pine's job, his livelihood. Would anyone on here agree to work for less money just because your employers made a string of bad decisions, making them a bit less well off? Are the suits at Paramount making the same sacrifice? Because if not, then fuck them. Why should he help them if they're going back on their deal?

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone else hoping this is BS drama to gauge audience interest in the movie, and it'll be revealed soon that the Chis' have signed on?

Or am I literally so broken about Star Trek 4 being D.O.A. (A-FUCKING-GAIN) that I've become delusional?

saddestmoon, pst and TrickyDickie like this.