Star Charts/Stellar Cartography: the Sector System

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by DEWLine, Nov 10, 2018.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The star map in the UFP logo as designed for the Star Fleet Technical Manual looks like the starbases and Fleet HQ were removed and the map itself horizontally flipped.

2. DEWLine

Agreed, Timo. Given the new info provided by the GAIA DR2 data sets, as well as the new material from the various series now underway, we need a revision.

3. Mres_was_framed!

Mres_was_framed! Captain Captain

Interesting point. Given what a previous poster wrote on this thread regarding how far away the star most commonly called Rigel is, how do we know that it was this one that is seen in "The Cage," and not another Rigel that was closer, espeically since it was visited in Pike's time?

On that note, the word "Beta" followed up with "Rigel" would, in the current system, refer to the second brightest star in a constellation called "Rigel." Since this is clearly not the intent, how did the "Star Charts" book come up with that name for that, and was that supposed to be the system with the "Rigel Colonies" mentioned in "Mudd's Women" and "The Doomsday Machine"?

4. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Rigel Planetary References for all series:

TOS:
    • Rigel Two (McCoy's little cabaret)
    • Rigel Four (Mr. Hengist's home planet)
    • Rigel Five (successful blood experiments on test subjects)
    • Rigel Seven (Cage barbarian planet)
    • Rigel Twelve (lithium mining planet)
    • Rigel colony (next target of the Doomsday Machine)
    TNG:
    • Rigel Three (Geordi's future posting/home)
    • Rigel Four (home to a brilliant young astronomer)
    • Rigel (no number) (Penny's home)
    DS9:
    • Rigel Four (Keiko's at a hydroponics conference there; also there's a pergium refinery)
    • Rigel Seven (Vantika did crime there)
    • "The whole Rigel system" (Barros Inn is one of the wildest bars there)
    ENT:
    • Rigel star system (in Vulcan data base)
    • Rigel Ten (Tenth planet of said system, a trading outpost is there)

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

TAS also had a reptilian Rigellian hypnoid.

And "Enterprise" had scaly Rigellians in an episode who had lines but were cut from the episode.

When I spoke with Geoffrey Mandel, when "Star Charts" first came out, he said that there was a minor typo in one of the Rigel references. Something to do with Pike mentioning in "The Cage" that they were a long way from Earth, and fan assumption that the Kaylar warrior was from that very distant Rigel. I forget the details now, but my notation for my website (mentioned previously) took the author's intention into account, rather than the error, and I worded it with his input. But... "Star Trek: Enterprise" had featured a Rigel, too, star of the Rigel Colonies, with several species of Rigellians and other races depicted, but the Colonies were much closer to Earth - and other, later references in the novels had decided that the Kaylar (of "The Cage") was from those Rigel colonies instead, as I think the previous "Star Trek Maps" had also suggested?

BTW, I only recently realised that Kloog (Mickey Morton), of "The Gamesters of Triskelion", actually wears the old Kaylar costume and makeup design, and thus was probably a Kaylar.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Henoch likes this.
  6. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/sftm/02-07-02.jpg Map of the Federation from Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual The map is reversed of the logo, but you'll notice the 3 dots that are completely different than the stars are starbases.
    https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/sftm/00-02-01.jpg Federation seal. It's the same star chart as above, only in mirror image format.

So, yes, from FJ's material it's clear those 3 dots are meant to be starbases. From the logo and map itself it's clear they aren't stars. The stars are drawn quite differently, more stylized than just a simple dot.

Henoch likes this.
  7. DEWLine

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Brown dwarves make me think the "black star" of "Tomorrow is Yesterday" fame could be an even smaller and darker type of failed star that has not been discovered in the Trek version of the 20th or early 21st century exactly because it's so dark - and remains a traffic hazard even in the 23rd for the same reason, being dense enough to make warp drives hiccup, yet not so dense as to display black hole -like radiative qualities or other telltales. Might be space close to Sol is littered with those.

We have genuine black holes there, too, as per adventures like "Things Past", even if not all of them get called black holes. Apparently, the definition has been narrowed down a bit, and now excludes the thing that sucked in Voyager 6, but would have included it back in the 1970s.

Timo Saloniemi

Markonian and DEWLine like this.
  9. DEWLine

Good points about those details.
    Also: wondering where that particular brown dwarf should fit on our existing maps.

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a map from the Picard season finale here on the left. Might be the same one from Admiral Clancy's office.

https://i.imgur.com/Un6R6oq.png

Not sure if there is a higher res version out there. It does seem to following the Star Charts/Stellar Cartography just like the Discovery maps.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, are those graphics actually being projected live onto the transparent screens on the set? I assumed they were comped in afterward.

12. DEWLine

Yes, they are. They've had those working see-thru screens since day one of DSC filming, if memory serves. There's been still pix of writing staff members on set for DSC where such screens were active, posted to their Twitter accounts.

13. Tuskin38

14. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Transparent LCD's are becoming popular on High End rigs as Side Panels.

15. DEWLine

I was going to say that it doesn't look the same as Clancy's office "smartwall" map to me...and then I noticed from the screencaps that the screen in Clancy's office includes something that does resemble what's in your image.

If there's a higher-res edition of that image and the Clancy "smartwall", I'd be glad to find it or have it pointed out.

(Sidebar observation: Whoever that is with Mr. Frakes, they're definitely dressed like a Toronto local. The North Face is a brand I associate with the Mountain Equipment Co-op chain of camping gear shops.)

16. Christopher

That's odd, because Picard is filmed in Los Angeles. Discovery is Toronto-based because Bryan Fuller insisted (oops), but I think Patrick Stewart insisted on LA for his show.

17. DEWLine

As noted elsewhere, the Zheng He bridge is a re-dress of the Discovery bridge set, done while Mr. Frakes was in Toronto directing a DSC episode. I suspect the graphics on the displays for that scene - which I would very much like to see - were e-mailed or Dropboxed or (insert procedure of choice) from LA to Toronto for the occasion.

18. Christopher

Oh. I wondered about that, since it seemed a really elaborate set to build for just a couple of scenes. That explains a lot.

19. Tuskin38

Might have been shipped on a physical hard drive.

That's how the 3D assets are shared with licencees at least. But CBS might be more protective of 3D models than 2D graphics.

20. DEWLine

Sending the hard drive via UPS or FedEx, huh? But, as you remind us, these are 2D graphics files for video playback.