Standard Civilian Frame

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BorgMan, Mar 2, 2016.

1. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not long after the launch of the originial USS Enterprise, the Utopia Planitia yards started with theorising about a frame specifically meant for civilian use. They got the specifications of the Constitution class and used it as a template; afterall, not having to design everything from the ground up would keep the costs of the frame low. They minimalised the engineering section to contain the bare minimum for starship operation, and removed 80% of the normal structures inside the ship to make place for easily swappable modules. A single nacelle, reused where possible from older or scrapped spaceframes, was placed on top of the aft portion of the saucer. Starfleet was looking over their shoulder, curious if a one-nacelled ship could meet their criteria.

Initially, the great firms that were still alive in the 23rd century didn't see anything in the frame, opting other shipbuilders instead to make them personalised ships. These came at a hefty price, though, and orders for the Standard Civilian Frame (noted as SCF-xxxxx in the registry) only started to come in when a certain postal service saw the benefits of this design, placed an order and used the first of the SCF frames to get an ambassador his long-awaited Romulan Ale, for which they were awarded with a contract to make sure the core worlds of the Federation got their packages as fast as possible. During testruns the ship barely made it to Warp 7; UPS deemed that fast enough and after the request for the addition of four phaser banks was approved, the ship was pressed into service in 2260.

The Mark 1 SCF saw a good run before being replaced by the Mark 2 in 2290, which provided a higher top speed and a higher cargo capacity. Moving the engineering hull to the aft of the topside also meant that this design would be able to make planetfall and re-enter orbit if the situation required it.

[​IMG]

2. Admiral Danev

Admiral Danev Lieutenant Red Shirt

Looks good, reasonable idea really. I've always liked this eras designs. Can't wait to see more

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love the bridge placement. On a very large saucer--you might even have two structures--one up top--one forward--for close inspections...

4. BorgMan

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sketchup 7-compatible?

6. BorgMan

7. Tintin1

Tintin1 Ensign Newbie

Cool ship!! I like the V shape of the double pylons, very unique, and in a TOS style, it looks amazing!

8. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

Epic!

9. BorgMan

Thanks guys! There's some scenes featuring this frame over at my DeviantArt if you like what you see :beer:

Atolm and MisterD like this.
  10. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice design, and quite like how things have been done with seagoing ships, large companies just order batches of ships and do so every few years when the older ships get written off and sold on.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Something that hasn't been done. Have two nacelles in the connie relationship--but each is held by two v shaped pylons that seperate as they rise up from the secondary hull.

I saw that in an Enterprise shaped grill and the concept stuck with me.

12. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I'd love to see it from different angles.

--Alex