Stan and Ollie (2018)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Ar-Pharazon, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Although it's kind of creepy to see Myrtle flirting with Harry when you know the actress was three times his age.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I just took it to mean her body might have aged in appearance, but her youthful soul hadn't.

lurok likes this.
  3. Christopher

I'm not talking about the character; after all, Shirley Henderson looked and sounded much younger than she was, and I had no idea when I saw the movie that she was actually an adult. I'm talking about the real-world fact that Henderson, an actress in her late 30s at the time, was directed to flirt with Daniel Radcliffe, a preteen boy at the time. That's a little squicky to think about.

4. Owain Taggart

Yeah, I knew what you meant. I just figured there had to be an in-universe reason for the discrepancy, but I don't know that there is. But yes, I agree. It's kind of weird now that you mention it. Maybe she was picked due to her voice? She kind of has an airy voice suitable to the character.

5. Christopher

Like I said, I never realized at the time that she wasn't a teenager. She does have a very girlish voice and she's only 5 feet tall.

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Let's return this back to L&H :adore:

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I can't wait to see it. Perfectly cast.

lurok, Random_Spock and Starkers like this.
  8. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

You said it--and I'm glad you said it--mm!

Chaplin after all--wasn't the first tramp:
    https://brightlightsfilm.com/wp-con...an-laurels-relationship-chaplin/#.XArghtJKiUk

Chaplin’s iron constitution kept Laurel from replacing him even once.
    Charlie saw what was coming...

Shortly before dying in the hospital, he said to his nurse, “I would rather be skiing than having to do this.”
    The nurse asked him, “Do you ski, Mr. Laurel?”
    “No, but I’d rather be doing it anyway.”

Random_Spock likes this.
  10. Random_Spock

Thanks for sharing that article, @publiusr. Screw Chaplin. Stan Laurel was more talented.

Starkers likes this.
  11. Owain Taggart

Very interesting read! I've always personally liked Stan Laurel more and felt he was the better actor. You can see it in his performances that he's more nuanced, and that Chaplin seems to be doing a shtick without heart. One of my favourite of Laurel & Hardy's is Babes in Toyland. Almost feels like a Christmas movie, and their roles are a bit different in this than most of their roles. It's for this reason why I feel Laurel went a bit beyond the usual shtick that Chaplin continued to use.

I have special memories as a young child of going to a pizza restauraunt (You know, the big lounge style places that they used to have before Pizza Hut came along, where you could walk in and smell the spices) that we used to often frequent. The special thing about that place was that they'd have Laurel & Hardy shorts playing on small screens to entertain you while you waited at the table for your pizza to arrive. It allowed for a good-humoured atmosphere. It's a memory I'll always treasure and it's how I got introduced to Laurel & Hardy. Have had a fondness for them ever since. Nowadays, it seems almost all restaurants are sports bars.

Random_Spock likes this.
  12. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, you will not find it under that title. In the body of the film, it is Babes in Toyland, but due to not being able to acquire the rights, their version is called "March of the Wooden Soldiers".

Random_Spock likes this.
  13. Owain Taggart

Depending on where it's shown, actually. I've seen it both listed as Babes in Toyland and March of the Wooden Soldiers in DVR listings. Although there was one time I thought I was watching the Laurel & Hardy version but it was the Disney version, which tries to mimic the L&H version. But that version pales in comparison because you know you're watching a copy down to the actors playing them.

Random_Spock likes this.
  14. Random_Spock

Exactly. It's why I love to catch stuff they're in. I tried watching (I think it was) Modern Times, and I just couldn't get into it. That said, one of my favorites is a Chump at Oxford. Really turns their act on its ear. With Ollie playing Stan's role and vice versa. It's too bad I haven't found it on DVD.

15. Owain Taggart

I can't remember if I had seen that one. I'll have to try to find it somewhere. Must have been fun for them to do :D

Random_Spock likes this.
  16. Random_Spock

It sucks that it hasn't been released in general, outside of being on tv. Saw it years ago via TCM. Definitely. Something really different, that's for sure. :lol: Just shot you a PM.

17. FormerLurker

A quick way to tell the difference is that the Disney version is in color. And has Annette Funicello.

Random_Spock likes this.
  18. Owain Taggart

That might have been the case at one time, but to make matters more interesting, the Laurel & Hardy version has been colorized and is the version mostly shown on TV when it airs, rather than the B&W version.

Random_Spock likes this.
  19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Starkers likes this.
  20. FormerLurker

It was Stan's daughter, then a preschooler, not wanting to give "Uncle Ollie" a hug during a visit. There is even film of her turning away from him, crying. After careful prompting, they realized she didn't like him anymore, because he mistreated her daddy in films, so they decided to have Stan get his revenge occasionally.

Starkers and Random_Spock like this.