ST XI Enterprise conjecture

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by judexavier, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

Nice job, although I'd like it better with a black instead of white background.

But really it calls to attention just how far out of whack that trailer is, unless the nacelle positions change after the ship is hauled up and placed in orbit.

2. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Outstanding work, judexavier!!!!

Any chance of us getting the two missing views (ventral and aft)? :D

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. I'm even more impressed now that I know you did this in 2D! Great work!

4. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I love it! And to do that in photoshop...wow. The only thing I dont like, is how close the nacelles are to each other. I hope on the real ship, they are a bit further apart. But other then that, awesome.

5. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

You did a great job. Looks good- aside from the odd shapes on the nacelles...

It shouldn't say NCC-1701 though. I only know two ships that say NCC-1701 ;)

6. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

Thanks again for the responses. I think the PC is stable again...(cross fingers)
    I'm planning on the other 2 views, just haven't started them yet.

As for the registry number, I have layers set where I can turn them off...I had considered something like "NX-1700" perhaps.

7. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I think your work looks awesome. There's no need to change the registry. I was being facetious because I just don't want the trailer concept to be the Enterprise.

Though I wouldn't complain (a first for me ;)) if you did change the registry.

8. JBElliott

JBElliott Commander Red Shirt

That's a very nice piece of work putting that together based on what's shown in the teaser. Very nice.

That said, I don't like what they showed in the teaser. I'd much rather have the production version of TOS Enterprise, or the "model" used in TOS-R. Though I know there's little hope in that.

9. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

I like it -- with the exception of the nacelles. The "retro phaser big bulb" idea just screams... "WRONG!!!" to me. YMMV, of course.

Great job overall, though, with tying stuff together from the teaser, etc.

Cheers,
    -CM-

10. baxart

baxart Commander Red Shirt

Great Photoshop work!
    I think your nacelle fins may be too large and tapered the wrong way.

I think this may be closer:
    [​IMG]
    By baxart at 2008-04-10

11. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

Wow! Baxart YES. Much more sleek, looks more like the scene where they are welding inbetween the fins. The way I had it, it looked as though it were supposed to go backwards or something:)

Very Nice.

12. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

The rendering looks pretty accurate to me, which is to say that it looks just as hideous as what we saw in the trailer.

Frankly, I wonder what sort of mindset it takes to say that the bloated monstrosity from the trailer is the same ship as this...

[​IMG]

(Pay no attention to the Firefly class ship trailing along behind; they just took a wrong turn.)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  13. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Everyone except us who know every bolt of the ship. And the only thing you can really say is "bloated" is the nacelles. But other then that, minus details that only we would notice....it looks pretty similar.

14. dougkeenan

dougkeenan Commander Red Shirt

Wow! Transposed against the trailer photo, your work looks spot on. Looks like the "Enterprise" lettering on the hull may be a little off. No matter, great job!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Get over it and stop whining (it gets annoying) - they changed the design.

16. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And of course that has NEVER been done in Star Trek right? ;)

I think any changes are being done at the ship designer's vision (Ryan Church?) + whatever will look best for the big screen treatment.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Why should he? Why don't you get over the fact that J.J. and the post-production staff of Trek XI are hacks with no sense of taste or respect for what came before. Why don't you get over sucking up the company line? I find it plenty annoying seeing people fawn over a pile of refuse and dare claim, "Oh yeah, it's definitely the same ship and this unquestionably the same continuity as TOS." That's vomit inducing to no end.

BTW, CRA, that's a slick looking bit of work.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  18. baxart

baxart Commander Red Shirt

Well in the whole nacelle thing, I'm hoping for this:

[​IMG]
    By baxart at 2008-04-11

What I've done is take my nacelle tweek and pushed it further. What I did was scale down the nacelles until the bussard domes on judexavier's (sweet!) version was the same size as Masao's Starfleet museum version (with Masao's Connie scaled to the same length as judexavier's.) Then I did 8 layers of copy paste to lengthen the nacelle back to just over what judexavier's was. (I used the spacing of the inboard nacelle cooler as my guide.)

19. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The things Id personally change would be....

1. The front end of the nacelles (which unfortuantly we are stuck with)
    2. Move the torpedo launchers back to the underside of the saucer ala TOS
    Other than that I think its pretty good, I get the demands for it to make sence as the precursor to the ship but Im still not convinced from the info about the movie that this would eventually become the E...more that this is the E (not having seen the script who knows)

20. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vast improvement. :techman:

I see nothing wrong with speculating on what NCC-1701 might have looked like when it was launched. Since TMP, I have wondered whether that massive facelift was the first that Enterprise underwent. I've done my share of speculation on what an early E might have looked like, drawing inspiration from retrofuture and art deco coupled with Matt Jefferies'[/i] own ruminations. It's fun, and it makes me appreciate all the more just how hard it is to conjure a pleasing design.

My problem with the OP's concept is not the style or the technique. His work is impeccable. It is the proportioning of the various parts to each other. baxart has done an admirable job of remedying that, and integrating the best parts of judexavier's work into a harmonious whole.