Spoilers ST Lower Decks - Starships & Technology Season 4 Discussion

Steamrunner isn't a term that makes sense either, really.
279c3e3c-6493-4886-af85-97ce30d911bf_text.gif

Not really. The first time we see the warbird in "The Neutral Zone", it's literally huge compared to the Galaxy, which by Starfleet measures is already a huge ship. It's practically twice the scale...

There is a theory floating around that cloaking devices have strange optical effects that can make ships appear much larger than they really are when they first decloak. In-universe this would work well as both an intimidation tactic and to make enemies locking weapons immediately after decloaking much more difficult, but it also explains a number of on-screen scaling issues, like the Bounty and the whaling ship in Star Trek IV.

bop.jpg

The boys at TrekYards brings up a good point, now that the Ferengi Genesis Device seems to make stable planets, that could be a game changer if they could manufacture more Genesis Devices.

The amount of terraforming that you can do, or Star System building if you find a place with the right ingrediants.

Well... Perhaps, but we really don't know for certain.

Remember, it took some time between the course of events at the end of TWOK and the middle of TSFS to realize that the planet was unstable and even longer for it to go FOOM! Maybe they will be going back at the beginning of next season. And, if they don't then it's a big fat "doesn't matter" and on to different stories.

However, the Admiral did specifically say that Nick Locarno's molecules were melded with the new planet's physical composition and even named it after him. If it is a more stable matrix than Genesis v1.0, that maybe used something other than protomatter, then I don't think we've seen the last of Mr. Locarno. Just a gut instinct.

I love how they FINALLY addressed how much Locarno looks so much like Tom Paris. Boimler: "I really don't see it." :guffaw:

Last edited:
But can "Sabrerunner" really be the official, in-universe name for the class? I'm not a native Anglo - would "saber runner" be a term that can make sense?
Yes, it actually would.

Perhaps a better term would be "squire."

But, yes as a native speaker I can easily make it make sense.

Last edited:
I'm finding LDS's penchant for unoriginal designs to be quite annoying. It's like in TAS when they could have made a whole new Romulan ship but instead chose to animate the Klingon D7 and add some feathers to it.

ST:FC (where the Steamrunner was first shown) was 27 years ago. Granted the in-universe span of time is only a few years between FC and LDS, but still, this is an animated show. They could make any design they wanted, and they just made something that looks 90% like a Steamrunner.

Last edited:
I'm finding LDS's penchant for unoriginal designs to be quite annoying. It's like in TAS when they could have made a whole new Romulan ship but instead chose to animate the Klingon D7 and add some feathers to it.

ST:FC (where the Steamrunner was first shown) was 27 years ago. Granted the in-universe span of time is only a few years between FC and LDS, but still, this is an animated show. They could make any design they wanted, and they just made something that looks 90% like a Steamrunner.
I don't have that issue, I'm fine with making designs that make sense within the time frame of the canon.

Like you said, it's only been a few years since FC & LD, I don't expect designs to change drastically in such a short time span. FC was set in 2373, LD is set in 2380, S4 specifically is set in 2381. At most it's a 8 year time gap.

It's not like DISCO jumping from the 23rd century to the 31st century, where you have literal centuries in between.

Well, my point was more that they don’t have to worry about budgetary concerns when making animated ship designs, so they don’t have to constantly use old designs. It just shows a lack of creativity.

Well, my point was more that they don’t have to worry about budgetary concerns when making animated ship designs, so they don’t have to constantly use old designs. It just shows a lack of creativity.

Then again, I like that they're showcasing some of the established but lesser-seen designs. I don't think every new series should have completely new ships. I'd have been super-happy if the Cerritos had been a New Orleans-class, Freedom-class, or a Cheyenne-class.

Back